• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Generic "thank-you" to all

griffin

I am fairly new here and new to OC. This decision has been a while in coming, but a couple of weeks ago I decided to begin carrying open rather than concealed most of the time. I read hundreds of threads here to get caught up on everything, as much as I could. I read and reread the laws.

And so I am here to thank you.

One valuable piece of advice I read over and over was to carry a voice recorder. I've listened to many of your encounters. One suggested was the Sony, and I've been wearing a Sony ICD-PX312. In its highest fidelity it holds over 22 hours of voice. In its lowest fidelity, 536 hours. And that's without an optional MicroSD card. I've been wearing it hidden under my shirt on a short lanyard around my neck it and it works wonderfully. $45 (amazon) seems like a steal.

41HtzRC63YL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

There are many other things I've learned here. For example, how to interact with others, including LEOs, and for that I would like to thank you as well.

But most of all, I want to thank all of you who have gone before me and prepared the fields. I am sure my way will be easier because of you and others like you who have done the prior heavy lifting. Thank you.

Dan

SovereignAxe

FYI, that unit will not take a MicroSD card. Sony uses their prioprietary Memory Stick memory cards for their products. That particular model uses Memory Stick Micro.

Other than that slight drawback (just about every product these days uses MicroSD, so having to use another type of card is kindof annoying), I wouldn't mind having that recorder. I would like one to have either USB or external memory so that I could upload the sound file to my computer, and I know a lot of model don't have either of those features.

griffin

FYI, that unit will not take a MicroSD card. Sony uses their prioprietary Memory Stick memory cards for their products. That particular model uses Memory Stick Micro.
The case says M2 and microSD, and the manual states it can use either a Sony memory stick micro (M2), or microSD/microSDHC from companies such as Sony, Toshiba, Panasonic, or SanDisk. It can use both types, and has an image in the manual showing both types. It has a USB port, too.

Sony link

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
One valuable piece of advice I read over and over was to carry a voice recorder. I've listened to many of your encounters. One suggested was the Sony, and I've been wearing a Sony ICD-PX312. In its highest fidelity it holds over 22 hours of voice. In its lowest fidelity, 536 hours. And that's without an optional MicroSD card. I've been wearing it hidden under my shirt on a short lanyard around my neck it and it works wonderfully. $45 (amazon) seems like a steal.

41HtzRC63YL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Welcome to OCDO Griffin.

That is the exact recorder I choose - high quality, easy on batteries, hint buy the best rechargeable.

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
Some helpful hints

Welcome Grif ;)

It sounds like you are off to a good start. I would also recommend a video recorder too. There are many small units available that are youtube ready & can be had in the $20-30 price range.

http://www.biglots.com/browseItem/as-advertised/1770

Combine that with a "stealth" video recorder ( I won't list types in case the Bad Guys are watching this forum ...) many can be found in the $50 range and your bases are covered. While audio is good, a picture is worth a thousand words. The reason for the stealth device(s) is in case a Bad Guy or Officer takes the primary from you, you are not left without the evidence you need to defend your rights.

There have been multiple instances of LEOs erasing or even destroying recorders of OCers. While this is rare these days; I am a firm believer in: better to have & not need, then to need & not have :eek:

I also suggest you program the MOC 411 number [734-879-2411] into your phone and wear a bluetooth while OCing, that way hit the speed dial and unbeknownst to the LEO(s) the audio is being streamed live to a web server, that cannot be deleted by them regardless if they found all your other devices. :)

Last edited: