• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Home Invasion

xxx.jakk.xxx

I saw the story that they showed on fox and they had people saying what they'd do. A lot of them said they'd run and hide. One guy said he's drop to the floor and tell the BG to take what they want and leave. No one ever mentioned keeping a gun in your home or on your person. It was pretty sad. =\

Beretta92FSLady

It's likely that the ones interviewed who said that they would fill the intruder full of lead were cut from the interview.

Sheeple...that's what the vast majority of people are, and that's what they expect everyone else around them to be. I was cleaning my sidearm after going to the range, this was just a few days ago, and a friend of mine was asking me what I would do in a home invasion situation, and I told him that I would fight. He looked at me and said nervously, "you are a violent person." That sheeple mentality compromises personal safety and the safety of loved ones around you. I just laughed...some people will never get it.

The unfortunate reality is you have to be more violent than the person attempting to victimize you or you will be in a sh*tload of trouble. I don't know about anyone else on here, but I hate reacting in a violent manner, but when it's time for me to act, I act, and let the cards fall where they may. At least I did everything I could. I would rather have a bullet in the chest than the back of my head.

When a wolf is kicking in your front door you have two options, lay on the floor like one of the cowards in the interview or stand your ground and defend yourself and your loved ones that are in the home with you.

I will give an example:

My mother-in-law has water storage drums, you know, the big blue ones. She has them sitting outside her house in plain sight. I told her that she should probably store them in the shed or the basement of the house, because if SHTF and there was no water, people would come and take it from her. She looked at me and snobbishly stated, "I'm going to share it, if someone wants some, they can have it." I couldn't help but think how out of touch she is, especially with what happens to people when SHTF and they have no water or food sources, people get crazy, and opportunistic criminals have a hay-day when disaster strikes. They wouldn't want a drink of the water, they will demand the whole thing, and she will be left with nothing.

Last edited:

USMC1911

In Home Defense, (5 Rnds) 00 Buck is my choice. That and (8 Rnds) .45 ! That is before reloading. :)

I take personnel responsibility for the safety and security of myself, my loved ones and my property !

I will fight back !

Semper Fi

Metalhead47

Trolling lately? Two words "shot placement." The end:shocker:

It's a reasonable statement. If you don't have to schlep the gun around (being that it's on your nightstand, etc), why "settle" for a 9mm when you can have a .45? And why settle for a .45 when (again, since you're not shlepping) you could have a long arm? Sure, shot placement is key, but the accuracy of a rifle or the spread of a shotgun can put some more stuff in your favor if the shot placement zen just isn't with you that night.

Beretta92FSLady

It's a reasonable statement. If you don't have to schlep the gun around (being that it's on your nightstand, etc), why "settle" for a 9mm when you can have a .45? And why settle for a .45 when (again, since you're not shlepping) you could have a long arm? Sure, shot placement is key, but the accuracy of a rifle or the spread of a shotgun can put some more stuff in your favor if the shot placement zen just isn't with you that night.

I am always Zen, especially when having exchanges with you LOL (legs crossed, back straight, burning incense)

Last edited:

Metalhead47

I am always Zen, especially when having exchanges with you LOL (legs crossed, back straight, burning incense)

Being woken out of a sound sleep at 0-Dark-30 by my door being kicked open & alarms going off, I will most certainly NOT be Zen, and will take every unfair advantage and dirty trick available to me to preserve my life. icon_mrgreen.gif

And even the Zen masters say the best use of a 9mm is to get to a longarm.:p

skiingislife725

I like the "Amateurs discuss calibers, professionals discuss tactics" quote. Along with the "a sidearm is what you use to fight your way to your rifle".

Jeff Hayes

A shotgun pattern does not spread much across the width or length of a typical residential room.

Last edited:

.45ACPaddy

I'm definitely loving the 7.62mm option, but it may over penetrate walls in the case of a miss. If I lived out in the sticks I'd stick with it, but being in a neighborhood, I'd rather not have something that can penetrate enough to leave my house. That's why I'd go with the .45 option.

Metalhead47

A shotgun pattern does not spread much across the width or length of a typical residential room.

Yet there's a reason SWAT favors them for clearing buildings :p Personally, I'm toying with the idea of cutting down a rifled barrel. Just cuz I like cutting metal things in half:monkey

I'm definitely loving the 7.62mm option, but it may over penetrate walls in the case of a miss. If I lived out in the sticks I'd stick with it, but being in a neighborhood, I'd rather not have something that can penetrate enough to leave my house. That's why I'd go with the .45 option.

That's why I say shotgun. Most of the advantages of a rifle without the overpenetration. When I get my acreage, then the AK with all the tacticool goodies will live by my bedside. With drum mag. I've killed enough alarm clocks for waking me up at 0-dark-30. My mood at that hour is less than diplomatic.

xxx.jakk.xxx

I have to agree. Using my 18.5" Barrel on my Mossy 500 at about 50ft with Birdshot, the spread wasn't very bad. Maybe a foot and a half across. Now, in my apartment, I'll never be more than 10-15ft from any person within sight and it's loaded with 00 Buck. I don't think that it'll have the spread to just fire in the direction and guarantee a hit...

skiingislife725

Yah what's the spread on a standard 00 round at 20 feet or so? 2-4 inches depending on your gun? I don't think SWAT uses it for the spread, I think they are using it because it'll take someone's head clean off and take them out of the fight.

Jeff Hayes

Yah what's the spread on a standard 00 round at 20 feet or so? 2-4 inches depending on your gun? I don't think SWAT uses it for the spread, I think they are using it because it'll take someone's head clean off and take them out of the fight.

Blunt force trauma at 1200 FPS works every time.

amlevin

Unless it is a 12 gauge loaded with dimes. I don't recommend this with a full choke, rather shorten it up a bit so it easy to "point".

-Whitney

You must have missed the episode on Mythbusters where they shot the pig carcas using a shotgun loaded with dimes.

Essentially, a good, heavy denim jacket kept the dimes from penetrating. They don't fly worth a crap and loose all their energy in just a few feet out of the muzzle.

If you want to be effective and do some damage, spend the dimes on some #4 buck or the like.