• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Can I Bring My Handgun From Virginia During My Visit To Augusta

USNA69

I will be visiting Augusta on 4 and 5 March and would like to bring my handgun with me for personal security. I have read several sources and now know that I cannot CC or OC without a Georgia Weapons Carry License, which I do not possess. GA does not recognize my VA Concealed Handgun Permit. I also learned that you may carry without a GA License on your property or inside your home, car, or your place of business.

But, here is my real question: Am I in violation of any GA law by having a loaded handgun on the table next to my bed inside my locked motel room for personal security and only while I am present in that room?

quarter horseman

I have the same type of questions from MI

Need some answers to some OC questions please.

Have a MI CPL can I open carry in GA?

in a car how do I have to transport my gun?

restaurant with alcohol CC or OC?

thank you for any help you can give.

aadvark

USNA69:

Unfortunately..., Virginia Permits are NOT Honored in Georgia.

Therefore, You can NOT Open Carry or Concealed Carry any Pistol or Revolver in Georgia, unless; You meet an Exception Outlined under Georgia Law 16-11-126(a) OR Georgia Law 16-11-126(c).

If You want to Open Carry in Augusta, Georgia..., bring a Rifle or Shotgun.

aadvark

*** WARNING: Georgia has MANY more Off-Limits Places than Virginia, Please Refer to These Codes: 16-11-34.1, 16-11-127, 16-11-127.1, 16-11-127.2, 16-12-120 through 16-12-127, AND 42-4 of Georgia Law. ***

Last edited:

aadvark

quarter horseman:

In Georgia we HONOR Your Michigan Permit, therefore; You may Open Carry or Concealed Carry a Loaded Pistol.

In Georgia..., Open Carry of a Loaded Rifle or Shotgun is also LEGAL.

As far as Car Carry, unlike Michigan, there are NO Restricitons..., especially seeing as to how You have a Michigan Concealed Pistol License.

Open Carry and Concealed Carry in ANY Place that has Alcohol is LEGAL (i.e. Restaurants, Licquor Stores, Grocery Stores, Gas Stations, etc.), but in Order to Carry in a Bar, as Defined under Georgia Law 16-11-127(a)(1), REQUIRES both a Permit and Permission.

aadvark

*** WARNING: Georgia has MANY more Off-Limits Places than Virginia, Please Refer to These Codes: 16-11-34.1, 16-11-127, 16-11-127.1, 16-11-127.2, 16-12-120 through 16-12-127, AND 42-4 of Georgia Law. HOWEVER, seeing as to how You have a License that Georgia HONORS, unlike USNA69, You can Carry in any Place Mentioned under Georgia Law 16-11-126(g). ***

Last edited:

quarter horseman

quarter horseman:

In Georgia we HONOR Your Michigan Permit, therefore; You may Open Carry or Concealed Carry a Loaded Pistol.

In Georgia..., Open Carry of a Loaded Rifle or Shotgun is also LEGAL.

As far as Car Carry, unlike Michigan, there are NO Restricitons..., especially seeing as to how You have a Michigan Concealed Pistol License.

Open Carry and Concealed Carry in ANY Place that has Alcohol is LEGAL (i.e. Restaurants, Licquor Stores, Grocery Stores, Gas Stations, etc.), but in Order to Carry in a Bar, as Defined under Georgia Law 16-11-127(a)(1), REQUIRES both a Permit and Permission.

aadvark

*** WARNING: Georgia has MANY more Off-Limits Places than Virginia, Please Refer to These Codes: 16-11-34.1, 16-11-127, 16-11-127.1, 16-11-127.2, 16-12-120 through 16-12-127, AND 42-4 of Georgia Law. HOWEVER, seeing as to how You have a License that Georgia HONORS, unlike USNA69, You can Carry in any Place Mentioned under Georgia Law 16-11-126(g). ***

Thank you very much, that is the information I was looking for have a great day

USNA69

Thanks for the reply ... but ...

USNA69:

Unfortunately..., Virginia Permits are NOT Honored in Georgia.

Therefore, You can NOT Open Carry or Concealed Carry any Pistol or Revolver in Georgia, unless; You meet an Exception Outlined under Georgia Law 16-11-126(a) OR Georgia Law 16-11-126(c).

If You want to Open Carry in Augusta, Georgia..., bring a Rifle or Shotgun.

aadvark

*** WARNING: Georgia has MANY more Off-Limits Places than Virginia, Please Refer to These Codes: 16-11-34.1, 16-11-127, 16-11-127.1, 16-11-127.2, 16-12-120 through 16-12-127, AND 42-4 of Georgia Law. ***

... everything you told me I had already acknowledged in my OP.

My question remains: Am I in violation of any GA law by having a loaded handgun on the table next to my bed inside my locked motel room for personal security and only while I am present in that room?

However, it appears that I could avoid this issue by simply bringing my long guns for motel security.

DSCN1832.jpgDSCN1834.jpg
pencil.png

Last edited:

aadvark

USNA69:

The Carrying and Possession of Firearms on Private Property Hindges on The Private Property itself.

Read Georgia Code 16-11-127(c).

If The Private Property has a Ban on Firearms, then, no..., however; if No such Ban Exists, then, such Carrying and Possession of a Firearm on that Property is, by Default, Legal.

Ultimately..., it would Depend on The Hotel that You stay in.

aadvark

*** Do NOT Ask them, and They will NOT Know any Better that You have a Firearm. However, if They find out that You are Armed, and they do NOT like it, They Simply Ask You to Leave. Failure to Leave Private Property when Asked, whether Armed or not, Constitutes Criminal Trespass under Georgia Code 16-7-21. ***

*** Under Case Law in Georgia, Open Carry of a Loaded Handgun on Property NOT Owned by You Constitutes a Violation of Georgia Law 16-11-126. However, under Georgia Law 16-11-126(c) Encased Unloaded Handguns may be Carried in Public or in Private..., so as long as it stays in a Case and Remains Unloaded. ***

Last edited:

USNA69

Thanks, aardvark. Info on point.

USNA69:

The Carrying and Possession of Firearms on Private Property Hindges on The Private Property itself.

Read Georgia Code 16-11-127(c).

If The Private Property has a Ban on Firearms, then, no..., however; if No such Ban Exists, then, such Carrying and Possession of a Firearm on that Property is, by Default, Legal.

Ultimately..., it would Depend on The Hotel that You stay in.

aadvark

*** Do NOT Ask them, and They will NOT Know any Better that You have a Firearm. However, if They find out that You are Armed, and they do NOT like it, They Simply Ask You to Leave. Failure to Leave Private Property when Asked, whether Armed or not, Constitutes Criminal Trespass under Georgia Code 16-7-21. ***

*** Under Case Law in Georgia, Open Carry of a Loaded Handgun on Property NOT Owned by You Constitutes a Violation of Georgia Law 16-11-126. However, under Georgia Law 16-11-126(c) Encased Unloaded Handguns may be Carried in Public or in Private..., so as long as it stays in a Case and Remains Unloaded. ***

Now I understand completely.

Perhaps my best course of action is to bring the pistol into the room cased and packed in my luggage. I can always place it in Condition Two in the room for security during the night. Should the need for its use arise, I don't really care what the motel's policy is. Hopefully, I would still be alive to debate that policy with them and the LEOs.

rmodel65

i know your visit is over....butare you in the military?? reason i ask was wonder if you were coming for something military related to the base there....if youre military then you can carry without a permit under OCGA 16-11-130

also i recommend applying for a PA permit for 26$ you will be legal to carry in GA with that!!!

USNA69

After-Action Report

i know your visit is over....butare you in the military?? reason i ask was wonder if you were coming for something military related to the base there....if youre military then you can carry without a permit under OCGA 16-11-130

also i recommend applying for a PA permit for 26$ you will be legal to carry in GA with that!!!

Retired Navy O-6. I was attending a wedding.

I took my own advice: Cased the Glock 19 for travel and placed it in Condition II in my motel room for the night. Re-cased it in the morning.

Thanks for the PA tip, but it was a one-time trip.