• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Great news

Motofixxer

I have heard good things about those GoPro but have wondered about their actual operation. Will they record anytime they are powered up, or do they have to be turned on each time you get in your vehicle then turned off? And will they automatically begin to record over the previous recordings when the card limit is reached?

WisconsinPI

I have this mounted in all of my vehicles: http://gopro.com/

There are several options for recording in a vehicle but this is the one I finally chose. I've used two other types of cameras over the past 6 years and the GoPro is the best so far in my opinion. For vehicle's you don't need the most expensive camera setup and shop on Amazon to get the best price. I've been using the GoPro for a year I think...maybe a bit longer. My camera has over 500 hours of use on it and works perfectly.

I did opt for the best GoPro camera and opted to get the largest capacity SD card (32GIG) which gives me just over 8 hours of continuous recording. I use a Motorola V195 cell phone power cable to power the camera from the vehicle. The camera is very small, lightweight and when mounted in a "Skeleton" case (needed for car mounting and best audio pickup) is almost unseen. Many people that do see it think it is a radar detector. Unplugged the camera will run about two hours on it's battery.

My video/audio recordings have come in handy in the past. When using my previous recording system I was broadsided by an inattentive driver. He got a ticket and when his insurance company was asked to pay they turned it around and said it was my fault. Well, the video/audio recording was then sent to my insurance company. When they saw it and heard the guy say "I was turned around talking to my daughter"...in her car seat behind him when he ran the stop sign...well, his insurance company paid every penny.

Several of us also carry discrete recording devices just in case we run into a rogue cop or a rogue citizen who causes a scene. If you would like a list of devices some of us carry please PM me. I'll send you a link of what I carry.

I appreciate it, but if it's anything that requires i turn it on, no matter what it was, i couldn't have turned it on, I do have video and audio, i'll usually put video on, i also have a pencam i place on my shirt and it records for like 12 hours very clearly, so i have that for encounters so that they'll never seize it or turn it off because it's "just a pen" but none of these could have been used in this instance, i was just minding my own business and looking down at my phone, set it down when i saw the light in my face, and it was screaming and commands from there, I truly couldn't have activated a one flip switch as i was hands right up right away and this guy was ready to end me for sure.

rcawdor57

Campaign Veteran
I have heard good things about those GoPro but have wondered about their actual operation. Will they record anytime they are powered up, or do they have to be turned on each time you get in your vehicle then turned off? And will they automatically begin to record over the previous recordings when the card limit is reached?

I have mine setup for "One button recording" which is something you have to set if you want the unit to work that way. Basically you turn it on and then push the top button and it starts video/audio recording in the mode you set it up for. It doesn't start recording when you turn it on. When I get in my vehicle I turn the unit on and start recording. It stays on until it runs out (almost 9 hours) or until I get home and turn it off in my driveway. I then take it inside, connect it to my computer and copy or delete the files depending on what I recorded. I have hundreds of hours of travel recorded across the U.S. It's very clear and the audio is amazing for "mono".

The unit does not write over previous files, they have to be manually deleted from either the onscreen display or through a USB connection to your computer. Pretty simple to operate. When you have over 8 hours of high quality video/audio at your fingertips I don't mind having to manually delete the recorded files.

rcawdor57

Campaign Veteran
I appreciate it, but if it's anything that requires i turn it on, no matter what it was, i couldn't have turned it on, I do have video and audio, i'll usually put video on, i also have a pencam i place on my shirt and it records for like 12 hours very clearly, so i have that for encounters so that they'll never seize it or turn it off because it's "just a pen" but none of these could have been used in this instance, i was just minding my own business and looking down at my phone, set it down when i saw the light in my face, and it was screaming and commands from there, I truly couldn't have activated a one flip switch as i was hands right up right away and this guy was ready to end me for sure.

Mount it, turn it on, start recording before you start your vehicle. Leave it on until you are home or at your final destination. It will record for over 8 hours continuously.

From the actions of the police you describe they should be removed immediately from duty and fired. What will he/they do when they see a person open carrying or legally concealed carrying? Murder them?

I recently had a talk with a gentleman who is NOT a member of WCI and was arrested for open carrying while he was eating lunch at a restaurant. The total charges against him totaled 32. They charged him with everything in the book and then some. He did nothing wrong and did not record anything. He thought he shouldn't have to since it is a right. Right? Well, he spoke to the D.A. and all charges were dropped. The police reports from the two officers were complete lies. Nothing in them was anywhere near what happened.

I told him about my GoPro and showed him my personal recording device I carry and he said: "Unfortunately these are the times we live in."

Even when I am not carrying a gun on me or in my vehicle my GoPro is recording.