• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Got my night sights

tjkruck

I highly recommend this for your carry firearm. Let's be serious if you are in a dark area you will not be able to acquire your Target with normal sights and will not have time to get your tac light out.... Such a must. Final cost was $131.02 with free installation. Only took em 10 minutes.

WOD

Me too! I got mine installed last week, while I was on an expeditionary outing. I ended up getting the Trijicon GL 24's for my G21. I was going to go for the Ameriglos, but changed my mind. I knew I needed to upgrade my sights, when I tried finding my front sight in the dark, between the garage and the house, and I couldn't see the front at all. I could make out the U frame on the rear sights tho, but, why just change out the fronts? Especially since Glock factory sights are plastic.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Me too! I got mine installed last week, while I was on an expeditionary outing. I ended up getting the Trijicon GL 24's for my G21. I was going to go for the Ameriglos, but changed my mind. I knew I needed to upgrade my sights, when I tried finding my front sight in the dark, between the garage and the house, and I couldn't see the front at all. I could make out the U frame on the rear sights tho, but, why just change out the fronts? Especially since Glock factory sights are plastic.

He didn't only change the front. He changed both sights.

Factory sights being plastic doesn't really make them easier to change. BTW - Trijicon are metal.

MainelyGlock

I highly recommend this for your carry firearm. Let's be serious if you are in a dark area you will not be able to acquire your Target with normal sights and will not have time to get your tac light out.... Such a must. Final cost was $131.02 with free installation. Only took em 10 minutes.

What type of night sights did you get? I'm looking for new ones. The factory Glock ones aren't doing a whole lot for me.

tjkruck

I got trijicon for my Springfield XD. I didn't want the fiber optic ones. I got the standard looking style. SP01 is the part number.

Last edited:

tjkruck

Sorry the pictures are not the greatest quality.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1334935251556.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1334935251556.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 158
  • uploadfromtaptalk1334935272817.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1334935272817.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 146

86 slo-vo

I'm getting some xs big dot's put on tonight.

As for a tac light, every night before I lay my head down my light goes on and the extended mag goes in.

WOD

That was my thought too, on some of the other night sights. Why would I want to have an accessory that needs a battery? Just one more unnecessary expense, and potential failure.

Grapeshot, I was only speaking for myself, not putting words in the OP's mouth. Sorry if you got that impression.

tjkruck

That was my thought too, on some of the other night sights. Why would I want to have an accessory that needs a battery? Just one more unnecessary expense, and potential failure..
my thought is.... Tac light/laser gives away my position. Night sights are for my eyes only not my enemies

MainelyGlock

As for a tac light, every night before I lay my head down my light goes on and the extended mag goes in.

Sounds exactly like what I do.

my thought is.... Tac light/laser gives away my position. Night sights are for my eyes only not my enemies

Yes and no. Night sights only go so far, and really don't provide any visibility of the target.You'll be able to see your sights just fine, but identifying any intruder is a whole other story. A few common drills I've seen for night shooting involve turning your light on, firing off 3 rounds, then switching it off and either taking a few [large] steps to the side, or changing position altogether, and firing off a few more rounds. Repeat until the threat is neutralized. I've yet to practice it, though. I'd imagine that a light like the X5L or TLRs-2 that has the ability to strobe would be even more effective, in that it disorients your attacker. A strong enough light can be a weapon single-handedly by causing temporary blindness.

tjkruck

Sounds exactly like what I do.

Yes and no. Night sights only go so far, and really don't provide any visibility of the target.You'll be able to see your sights just fine, but identifying any intruder is a whole other story. A few common drills I've seen for night shooting involve turning your light on, firing off 3 rounds, then switching it off and either taking a few [large] steps to the side, or changing position altogether, and firing off a few more rounds. Repeat until the threat is neutralized. I've yet to practice it, though. I'd imagine that a light like the X5L or TLRs-2 that has the ability to strobe would be even more effective, in that it disorients your attacker. A strong enough light can be a weapon single-handedly by causing temporary blindness.

I do carry a streamlight protac 2L for a majority of that reason I just don't know if a situation ever (hopefully not) arises, will I have time to grab my light. Idk I have thought about purchasing a weapons mount tac light but I need more input to justify purchasing it. I do live in an apartment complex and people dont really mess with me due to the fact that I am the caretaker here. The apartment complex across from us is a different story tho...

86 slo-vo

Here is the xs big dots, not the greatest picture but you get the idea. The center of the dot is tritium.

0e04946b.jpg

Fit and finish is great, I'm really happy with them.

j4l

Def. considering up-grading my Novak's to their tritium sets, myself. The standard white-dots just dont do it in the levels of darkness I have out here.

Fiber-optic sights seem to be quiet a "rage" of late, but really are just a gimmick. Unless fiber sights are sitting somewhere that they can gather light for a period of time, prior to use, they dont improve the view of things much, if at all.
If a sidearm is sitting in a holster, or what-not, you can forget counting on the fiber-optics, at the moment they are needed.
I put one of the fiber front-sights on my 800 pump, and they were about useless when I'd step outside into the dark, from inside where it had also been dark...

Still seeking a decent tac-light, but not one that will end up costing more than the pistol itself..something which makes zero sense to me..:banghead: And one rugged-enough to actually withstand recoil/muzzle-blast effects. I had one until a few months back-I'll leave out the make, lest any of the fanboys go into a flame-war about it, but I have to say I was rather disgusted, considering what was originally paid for it. The thing simply disintegrated the 1st time I did a night-firing with it mounted.
:banghead:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Fiber optic sights do not gather and store light - they do not "glow" from stored light. Rather they channel reasonably good light into a single dot/focus point. The are absolutely useless in a dark environment and in low light it all depends where the light source is in relation to you.

Fiber optics are great for wing shooting, but would never mount them on my self-defense handgun.

Learn to point shoot well, extremely well. If I remember correctly the average defensive shooting takes place in 3 sec or less and at a distance of 7 ft or less. Learn to move and shoot, become a difficult target. Investing in such training will have a greater return that all of the new things one might add to their pistol. If you have to stop and think or look for your sights, you are probably already bleeding.
http://www.virginiacops.org/articles/shooting/combat.htm

http://gunstuff-jd.blogspot.com/2012/03/stand-move-or-seek-coverwhat-works-in.html

MPWarrior653

My thoughts on night sights are more along the lines of what will the court think. If you can't even see your SIGHTS, how the heck are you gonna know what you're shooting, or what/who is behind them? I'm really not for mounted tac-lights either to be honest, I mean it's like HELLO SHOOTER, guess where I am? Lasers are pretty much the same. I like the flashlight on, shoot, light off, move, on, shoot... etc.

I'm also hoping I never have to use any of these techniques or equipment in real life situations, but if it does I want to cover my @$$ there AND the next morning when I'm sitting in court.