• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC Walmart

Mosnar87

Still, I do not find where OC is illegal in an establishment that sells alcohol for only off site consumption. Guess we are going to need a cite that connects the dots.

No additional cite is needed. OC (or any other possession of a firearm) is not permitted on the premises of an establishment licenced under the MI liquor control code (per MCL 750.234d) unless you are exempt.

As most people are not exempt I would consider OC in such a place to be illegal for most people.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

eye95

I have not read the MI code, however GS cited the portion of the code that you are calling the liquor control act and saying that it does not include establishments selling liquor for off-premises consumption, e.g. Walmart. You do need to address that point for your argument to be credible.

Mosnar87

No business can sell alcohol of any sort in MI without being licenced under the very act that has been cited already.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
No business can sell alcohol of any sort in MI without being licenced under the very act that has been cited already.

Never said that an establishment could sell alcohol w/o being licensed.

Pointed out the difference in standards for on premises consumption and off premises only. A condition which you continue to ignore, not address.

I have quoted the applicable off premises law, but you have shown nothing to refute that. Is that an oversight or intentional?

Mosnar87

Pointed out the difference in standards for on premises consumption and off premises only. A condition which you continue to ignore, not address.

I have quoted the applicable off premises law, but you have shown nothing to refute that. Is that an oversight or intentional?

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(wu...?page=getObject&objectName=mcl-Act-58-of-1998

Act 58 of 1998 provides for licensing for off premises consumption. This act replaced the 1933 LCC. All references to the earlier act are redirected to the new one.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(wu...?page=getObject&objectName=mcl-Act-58-of-1998

Act 58 of 1998 provides for licensing for off premises consumption. This act replaced the 1933 LCC. All references to the earlier act are redirected to the new one.

Nice try, but cigarillo. Your latest submission does not address or include for off premises consumption.

Will therefore conclude, as others have done, that OC is legal in retail establishments e.g. Wal-Mart even when they sell alcohol for off premises consumption only.

eye95

He just refuses to make a unified, clear, and coherent case.

If I ever feel the need to OC in MI, I will research the issue again, seeking the counsel of someone a tad more credible. Moving on.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

<o>

TheQ

Don't have the cite (I am on my phone) but MI law does not permit possession of any firearm on the premises of a liquor licensed establishment without a valid CPL (Concealed Pistol Licence) or an out of state equivalent.

For more info on the subject and cites of applicable laws, Google MSP update 86.

This is right, with exceptions defined in the law such as: CPL or owner/agent's permission.

See MCL 750.234d.

TheQ

Mosnar is correct. This is the Opinion of the leadership if Michigan Open Carry, Inc. as well. You could ask anyone in the Michigan forum and they'd agree.

TheQ

He just refuses to make a unified, clear, and coherent case.

If I ever feel the need to OC in MI, I will research the issue again, seeking the counsel of someone a tad more credible. Moving on.

How's the credibility of the president of Michigan Open Carry, Inc. for you?

If you OC in Michigan you also best have a permit to carry from your state. See MCL 28.422.

You do what you want. I'll laugh at you while you're in the poke and say I told you so.

Last edited:

eye95

How's the credibility of the president of Michigan Open Carry, Inc. for you?

If you OC in Michigan you also best have a permit to carry from your state. See MCL 28.422.

You do what you want. I'll laugh at you while you're in the poke and say I told you so.

If he presented his argument as was done in this thread, ZERO.

However, you are now saying something different. If I understand the bolded part, you are saying that ALL OC in MI requires a license or permit.

<o>

TheQ

FWIW, Act 8 of ex sess of 1933 is better known as the liquor control act. The MXL for it is Mis cited in 750.234d

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
http://legislature.mi.gov/doc.aspx?mcl-436-1537 see sub-heading f.

Your submissions are continue to fail to address the issue and do not show any restriction on OCing.
The link to OC is not made.

Sec. 537.
(1) The following classes of vendors may sell alcoholic liquor at retail as provided in this section:

....(f) Specially designated merchants, where beer and wine may be sold for consumption off the premises only.

With your nine (9) posts on the subject w/o being any closer to a definitive cite supporting your original unsupported contention, I must conclude that you can find no law to that effect. We all know what they absence of a law means.

--Deleted my closed thread remarks.--

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Appreciate the clarification and shining the light on the links differently from the Q - I have no problem saying I was wrong.

Michigan is an open carry w/o a permit generally - there are just some restrictions.......and they may be hard to find.

BTW - my quest had nothing to do with knowing the laws better than others. It had everything to do with securing the information for the benefit of all.

Last edited:

Redbaron007

I'm easily confused today. If I visit MI, is it my best bet to just CCW instead of OC? :confused: