• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Tacoma Rifle and Revolver Club *REQUIRING PISTOL TRAINING*

Nosrac

range safety

Where did you get that flyer? I'm a member but I haven't seen that yet. I shoot there and most of the guys follow the rules are courteous and I'm not seeing any safety issues. Usually when i go there is just a couple of us as it's never busy during the weekday. I do know quite a few guys that turn around and leave if Bob Hom (Pistol RSO)is there. The one day I did see him there he made a point to go down the line and lecture everyone on whatever he could come up with. I felt bad for the new guy that had to put up with his overly exhaustive lecture regarding the safety light. We all signalled we were ready to go downrange to change targets and the new guy flips the safety light on. We are standing there waiting for Mr. Hom to get done fumbling with his pistol and he wigged out that we didn't give him proper notice even though he wasn't shooting had his head in his gun case and the light and beeper had been going off for almost a minute.

One of the old time regulars said, hey the lights been on and we were waiting for you.

Last edited:

Beretta92FSLady

I am not saying the new requirements are bad. I am saying that the threshold for "proficiency" might be a bit much in the accuracy department for beginners.

Nosrac

I am not saying the new requirements are bad. I am saying that the threshold for "proficiency" might be a bit much in the accuracy department for beginners.

10 shots in 2' x 2' at 35 feet? I'm not a great shot but I thought that was pretty generous. That's basically keeping it on the target frame and not missing it completely. They don't have the 7 or 15 yard berms yet so that is probably why they are waiting for late August. We have to shoot at 25 yds. I try to keep everything inside the first ring of the paper plate.

I think the requirement is probably a good idea but it chaps my hide that it will be a waste of time for both the basic training and going to the test for a lot of us. Not that some guys don't need a refresher but I can't imagine that the training will be that extensive. I'll let you know after I go.

Nosrac

Is this range charging to become 'qualified' after years of not having the policy in place? Or is it a free 'qualification' and brings the members (as a whole) safety standards up to par?

I could see a range having safety standards but that would be part of the membership of the range and not an extra charge.

Ranges like Oldkim's with no membership may be different in that regard.

As far as I know there is no fee for either the required basic training or the competency check.

Matt85

10 shots in 2' x 2' at 35 feet? I'm not a great shot but I thought that was pretty generous.

its 10 shots on a 2'x2' target at 45 feet... which could be pretty tough on new people. when i teach new people to shoot i usually start em out at 15 feet with a 2'x2' target. also, i know a number of older shooters which dont have the greatest eyesight any more and cant shoot that far (they shoot great at 25' just not out side of 30').

just for kicks i think ill head to the range later today and see how good i do with this test.

Beretta92FSLady

10 shots in 2' x 2' at 35 feet? I'm not a great shot but I thought that was pretty generous. That's basically keeping it on the target frame and not missing it completely. They don't have the 7 or 15 yard berms yet so that is probably why they are waiting for late August. We have to shoot at 25 yds. I try to keep everything inside the first ring of the paper plate.

I think the requirement is probably a good idea but it chaps my hide that it will be a waste of time for both the basic training and going to the test for a lot of us. Not that some guys don't need a refresher but I can't imagine that the training will be that extensive. I'll let you know after I go.

I really don't mean to pick at your response, but 15 yards is 45 feet. You are experienced with shooting. Some people have zero experience.

jbone

We all bitch about the Wingnuts and Zimmos that show up at the range doing stupid and dangerous stuff but them we also bitch about any attempt to control them. Maybe what we all like to do most of all is just Bitch!

The same could be said for a bowling Alley, people (amateurs) dangerously releasing balls in every direction except down the lane, as you causally stroll past with a beer a 16 pounder may change your life forever. Mandatory safety lesson for facilities were you enjoy your sporting, hobby, or leisure activities? Obama could appoint a special Czar to control this.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
Note this is 2 FEET by 2 FEET not 2 Inches x 2 Inches Correct? This is huge most people new to shooting with a little instruction can do this.
If one could not hit these targets at this distance, they need training.

This is typical the ones that complain the loudest in matters as this are the ones who could use the additional training.

Nosrac

its 10 shots on a 2'x2' target at 45 feet... which could be pretty tough on new people. when i teach new people to shoot i usually start em out at 15 feet with a 2'x2' target. also, i know a number of older shooters which dont have the greatest eyesight any more and cant shoot that far (they shoot great at 25' just not out side of 30').

just for kicks i think ill head to the range later today and see how good i do with this test.

My bad 45 feet (15 yards) not 35. I'm typing on a Droid and I have fat fingers.

Beretta92FSLady

Note this is 2 FEET by 2 FEET not 2 Inches x 2 Inches Correct? This is huge most people new to shooting with a little instruction can do this.
If one could not hit these targets at this distance, they need training.

This is typical the ones that complain the loudest in matters as this are the ones who could use the additional training.

I hate responding to online threads, because these types of topics are complex, and require in depth discussion that I slack at spending the time to completely explain my stance on.

The target is big. The question I have is in order to shoot at that range you have to go through the training, which is brief...how will a new person train to hit a target from that far away? If they are not allowed to shoot at the range until they pass the course, where do they go shoot in order to gain the ability to hit a target that far away? I have seen some bad new shooters. I watched a guy teaching another guy how to shoot a handgun for the first time. The new guy, seriously, could not hit a man-sized target from 5 Yards away. After about a hundred round he was hitting about 80%..some people take a little while to acquire the skill, kind of like riding a bike I guess, some people are just not coordinated.

Nosrac

I hate responding to online threads, because these types of topics are complex, and require in depth discussion that I slack at spending the time to completely explain my stance on.

The target is big. The question I have is in order to shoot at that range you have to go through the training, which is brief...how will a new person train to hit a target from that far away? If they are not allowed to shoot at the range until they pass the course, where do they go shoot in order to gain the ability to hit a target that far away? I have seen some bad new shooters. I watched a guy teaching another guy how to shoot a handgun for the first time. The new guy, seriously, could not hit a man-sized target from 5 Yards away. After about a hundred round he was hitting about 80%..some people take a little while to acquire the skill, kind of like riding a bike I guess, some people are just not coordinated.

The nice thing about TRR is that they have free new shooter clinics quite often and also begining pistol classes as well as competition training. Those ought to help get more shots on the paper.

Beretta92FSLady

The nice thing about TRR is that they have free new shooter clinics quite often and also begining pistol classes as well as competition training. Those ought to help get more shots on the paper.

If that is the case than I see nothing wrong with what they are doing.

I DO think that when any of us bring guests to the range we need to keep an eye on them. Maybe that is why they are doing this, not because of any AD's but rather some people making rookie mistakes.

About a month ago I was at the range shooting, and looked to my left, there was a guy there teaching his girlfriend to shoot his 357, but he was distracted with a conversation with his friend...his girlfriend was pointing the gun to the side, finger on the trigger, hammer back, holding the revolver over her head with her right hand, and reaching down to the ground with her left to pick up something....WTF! her boyfriend turned to her after she did it, not seeing what she did, she fires off a shot,, and he says "good job honey." I walked over and told him what she had done, and he apologized and corrected the situation.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members

Sylvia, training is a good thing and I feel you concur with that as well.

The target is HUGE larger then A Zone Hits and with proper training one can hit it with no problem and if they cannot then they seriously need to consider not having a firearm.
If someone cannot then I feel they need additional training for their sake and others around them as well.

As for your example if someone after receiving training and cannot hit a target at 5 yards should not be shooting by themselves until such time they can. I surly would not want to be on the range with them outside a training session.

This could be fault of the trainer or the shooter or both for that matter.

Tomas

I just re-read the new rules, and it still reads as though it says "in order to fire a pistol at this range you much take safety training, pass a safety test, and pass a proficiency test that requires loading, unloading, safe handling, and hitting a 2 foot target at 45 feet 10 out of 10, no misses. If you cannot hit the target, go somewhere else to learn and come back when you can."

If they mean something else, they need to clarify.

Nosrac

I just re-read the new rules, and it still reads as though it says "in order to fire a pistol at this range you much take safety training, pass a safety test, and pass a proficiency test that requires loading, unloading, safe handling, and hitting a 2 foot target at 45 feet 10 out of 10, no misses. If you cannot hit the target, go somewhere else to learn and come back when you can."

If they mean something else, they need to clarify.

You are not required to have the certification for taking pistol classes at TRR and if someone can't hit the 2x2 it sounds like a little more instruction is needed.