• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Hermosa Beach Patch - Open carry hermosa Beach litter pickup is on for July 10, 2010

Ca Patriot

But I did carry in Malibu when I stopped at the Jack in the box there.

Other than a tourist Swedish family staring bug-eyed at me, no-one else seemed to notice or care. Ate my burger and fries there, then got back on the PCH north.

you know there is a good nude beach in malibu at pt dume. lots of european tourists go there. open carry while nude...now THAT would be a site to see, haha

Mike Hawk

No LEO contact whatsoever. Lots of questions answered and materials handed out to a curious and receptive public. And no "negative Nancys" to my knowledge. :)

Ca Patriot

I have started to think that police departments will change their (e) check policies. Here's why. Its all about lawsuits.
Lets say police see an armed man walking down the street. He appears to be an "open carrier". Police make contact and do an (e) check. Weapon is found to be unloaded and the man is let loose. 45 minutes later the same man shoots up a restruant. The laywer for the people in the restruant are going to sue the police because the police essentially gave the man "an offical seal of approval".
I know this sounds like convoluted logic but then again so are most lawsuits and they are spun very well by good trial lawyers.
If the police get the same call and "search the neighboorhood but couldnt locate suspect" then thats their excuse later on. The police can claim "if we had found him with a gun we surely would have arrested him".
There have been many many cases where police have been blamed for crimes comitted after a suspect had been detained by the police earlier. Jeffry Dahmer comes to mind. The police were sued in that case and paid a settlement.

Gundude

I have started to think that police departments will change their (e) check policies. Here's why. Its all about lawsuits.
Lets say police see an armed man walking down the street. He appears to be an "open carrier". Police make contact and do an (e) check. Weapon is found to be unloaded and the man is let loose. 45 minutes later the same man shoots up a restruant. The laywer for the people in the restruant are going to sue the police because the police essentially gave the man "an offical seal of approval".
I know this sounds like convoluted logic but then again so are most lawsuits and they are spun very well by good trial lawyers.
If the police get the same call and "search the neighboorhood but couldnt locate suspect" then thats their excuse later on. The police can claim "if we had found him with a gun we surely would have arrested him".
There have been many many cases where police have been blamed for crimes comitted after a suspect had been detained by the police earlier. Jeffry Dahmer comes to mind. The police were sued in that case and paid a settlement.

Sounds very convoulted. They can't arrest someone that didn't commit a crime. To avoid a lawsuit, they should arrest all legal carriers?

If someone is driving down the street and a bee flys in the window and stings them. They cross the double yellow line and get stopped by a cop. He sees the swelling on the end of the drivers nose and lets them go with a warning. They drive 2 miles down the road and run over a pedestrian. No liability there either.

hgreen

Mike Hawk

wasnt there a pre-arraigned (e) check with the police prior to the event ?
It was arranged by the events organizers, but no, never happened. I too am in disagreement with this particular policy, (and intentionally showed up late so as to avoid a potential E-check) but I do understand the reasoning behind the notification and pre-arranged E-check. I think they figure that if it's GONNA happen, best to work with the cops and maybe have it happen in a time and place that doesn't hurt our cause and/or ruin the event.

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
The event was a great success.

It appears it was a sucess. With no police contact, no (e) check, and no counter protests, this appears to be a win.
I do admit, I do have some mixed feelings about the participation with a long gun. You will note, that the majority of the comments on both news stories are focused on him, and the group should be prepared to absorb the added attention. I suppose if AB1934 comes to pass, we will all be wearing long guns, but for right now, I think open carry should focus on handguns while we can.

pullnshoot25

I have mixed feelings about this event. On one hand, all the nannies over on Calguns deserve a good dose of anti-hoplophobic medicine but on the other hand, I feel this event should have been about HANDGUNS and HANDGUNS ONLY! If and when AB1934 passes, THEN we can bust out all long stuff.

Overall, this event was a success but the big casualty was that guy carrying the AR-15

CNReporter

Hermosa Beach Police Chief Savelli

I've extensively interviewed the Hermosa Beach Police Chief Savelli and I think that Harley's Open Carry Event shows that he is a man of his word.

I went up to Lt Gaines who was in charge of "crowd" control to see if he was going to conduct 12031(e) inspection stops and he simply said "no". We chatted some more and it turns out he owns the So. Cal Sharpshooter range in Torrance. To him, civilians carrying guns is no big deal. This is my first post, if I don't screw it up I'll attach a photo of Lt Gaines in the background where it is fairly easy to see by the bored look on his face that this was a non-event to him.

As for Chief Savelli, he is going to enforce the letter of the law. He is fully aware of the Heller/McDonald decisions but he doesn't pick and choose which laws he is going to enforce. To quote Chief Savelli "The police department will follow all the appropriate laws or changes in the laws as they occur."

The Hermosa Beach City Attorney is currently reviewing the Heller/McDonald decisions. The City Attorney is one of the persons who decides what laws will be enforced. If he tells Chief Savelli that 12031(e) inspections, for example, are now unconstitutional, all of his officers will immediately be notified and their manuals updated and the law will no longer be enforced. The same can be said of the District Attorneys office since they are the ones who prosecute felonies and of course the Chief will obey court orders.

In short, Hermosa Beach is an Open Carry friendly city provided one follows the pre-Heller laws.

Chief Savelli has created a map with the pre-Heller prohibited areas marked.

As for the actual beach being a prohibited area. That is due to a city ordinance not a county one. If you would like to change it then make your desires known to the City Council not the police. If the City Council repeals the ordinance then the police will no longer enforce it. The same can be said of the greenbelt and other prohibited areas except for the Gun Free School Zones.

If you would like to carry in them then I suggest you contact the "school district superintendent, his or her designee, or equivalent school authority" and ask for written permission under California Penal Code Section 626.9 and while you are at it tell them to send a written letter to the Police Chief stating that all persons are free to carry within their school zone because the schools, their agents and employees are now personally liable for Federal Civil Rights lawsuits as a result of the recent US Supreme Court decision.

If the photo attached correctly, Lt Gaines is the man in the dark blue shirt next to the truck with a radio in his hand. As you can see, he can hardly contain his excitement.

Attachments

• 100_2739.jpg
    100_2739.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 87

oc4ever

"double felony zone"?

So looking at the Hermosa Beach prohibited areas map........
If you are in a GFSZ restricted area that is within two overlapping schools zones, is that a double fine(felony) zone?

This law is nuts and will never stand legal challenge after the McDonald SCOTUS ruling. It is too easy to make normal citizens felons without them having any intent on commiting a specific crime. Just because you don't know every of the hundreds of schools in LA County, you are restricted from your freedom of movement. If the areas were clearly posted, the law might be more fair, but as it is now, even many LEO's could not tell you where the boundaries to these zones are.

By looking at the map ,it is impossible to OC by going from north to south(or visa versa) on any major street in Hermosa Beach without commiting a felony.

Great law.