• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Va Tech carry policy?

Badger Johnson

I was reviewing the email sent out by Philip on the VT policy and it states:

Any such individual who is reported or discovered to possess a firearm or weapon on university property will be asked to remove it immediately. Failure to comply may result in a student conduct referral and/or arrest, or an employee disciplinary action and/or arrest.

Note that you get one chance or a second chance to disarm if your carry is discovered. It's not an immediate arrest or disciplinary action. To me, this says you can carry, just don't get caught, and if you do, be prepared to disarm (somehow) and you're good. Now who is worried about getting caught if all you have to do is leave the campus or disarm (somehow) and there's no metal detectors. It takes all the worry out of it. In fact if you note my bolding, the action is only 'may' result in any penalty.

With such a policy I'd have no qualms about CCing.

Thoughts?

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
"may" is such a dangerous word when it comes to rules and laws. All it takes is one official on a power trip to use the "may" option and have you arrested. That being said, I think your idea has some merit.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
[snarky introductory clause self-edited before posting because I'm really trying to be socially acceptable about the question posed] the possibilities listed apply to students, staff and faculty only, as UVa can not impose a student conduct referral or employment disciplinary action on someone who is not already in either of those categories.

Well, they can, but they ae going to look "more stupider" when it comes out that they did.

As for the hoi-poloi carrying on campus? The AG has already expressed his opinion, and until/unless UVa chooses to disagree with that by arresting someone for doing what the AG says is legal, that's what they have to live with.

stay safe.

Badger Johnson

No idea why you're talking UVa, since the post is about Va Tech. I'm just saying the way their policy is written it's carte blanch to CC a HG on campus, student, visitor, or employee, with impunity. Thus it's a tempest in a tea-pot.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
No idea why you're talking UVa, since the post is about Va Tech. I'm just saying the way their policy is written it's carte blanch to CC a HG on campus, student, visitor, or employee, with impunity. Thus it's a tempest in a tea-pot.

Probably because sometimes my fingers don't go where my mind tells them to. I admit it, it was a typo. Thank you for bringing the error to my attention. Please exchange "VT" for "UVa" in everything I typed. That should cover it.

stay safe.

since9

Campaign Veteran
I was reviewing the email sent out by Philip on the VT policy and it states:

Any such individual who is reported or discovered to possess a firearm or weapon on university property will be asked to remove it immediately. Failure to comply may result in a student conduct referral and/or arrest, or an employee disciplinary action and/or arrest.

This doesn't prohibit carry. It simply states:

1. Discovery will result in a request for removal.

2. Refusal to comply may result in consequences.

I'm willing to bet if this policy had been in place when Cho went on his rampage, and an armed student stopped Cho dead before Cho shot his fifth victim, this policy would have been of supreme embarrassment to the school administration.

With such a policy I'd have no qualms about CCing.

Your thoughts?

As I'm neither a student nor an employee, I couldn't care less about the ridiculously anti-2A reactionary policies of Virginia Tech's administrators, in so far as my own personal behavior is concerned. If I were back in town, I'd OC around Blacksburg, and CC while on campus.

I do care about their policies in so far as they're able to erringly influence other similarly ignorant or ill-advised school administrations into adopting the same idealistic but woefully ill-advised approach. In that respect, I'll continue to exercise my First Amendment rights by denouncing what I perceive as a very poor example.