• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Virginia non resident ccw misinformation or fact?

phibbsey

I just called the virginia state police to ask about reciprocity laws with the Virginia non resident ccw. I asked how it worked from being out of state. To my understanding I would be able to acquire the ccw permit and carry in ohio. He then proceeded to tell me that the non resident permit is for people from out of state to be able to carry legally in virginia state only. I was unaware of this? Why else would there be reciprocity laws if this were true. I don't know if the officer is just trying to give me misinfo so i don't acquire the ccw from virginia or what but I really want to know how I need to go about this. I want to get a virginia non resident because I travel into Pennsylvania alot and Ohio and PA don't honor each others license but they both supposedly honor virginias. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

TFred

I just called the virginia state police to ask about reciprocity laws with the Virginia non resident ccw. I asked how it worked from being out of state. To my understanding I would be able to acquire the ccw permit and carry in ohio. He then proceeded to tell me that the non resident permit is for people from out of state to be able to carry legally in virginia state only. I was unaware of this? Why else would there be reciprocity laws if this were true. I don't know if the officer is just trying to give me misinfo so i don't acquire the ccw from virginia or what but I really want to know how I need to go about this. I want to get a virginia non resident because I travel into Pennsylvania alot and Ohio and PA don't honor each others license but they both supposedly honor virginias. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!
It sounds to me like the officer was answering only the part of the question that he knew, and that would be the part about Virginia law.

You would need to ask someone in Ohio if you are allowed to carry concealed there by using a Virginia non-resident CHP. How could a Virginia police officer know all the laws of all the other states?

(Remember, they aren't salespeople trying to sell a product, so they really don't care "what else" it might be good for.)

TFred

Last edited:

phibbsey

I did contact the local sheriffs department and he told me I would have to contact the department who would issue the permit. He said he wasn't to clear on the reciprocity laws. Just seems to me that they are avoiding the question all together. What state department would I be able to contact to get clarity of the laws?

TFred

I did contact the local sheriffs department and he told me I would have to contact the department who would issue the permit. He said he wasn't to clear on the reciprocity laws. Just seems to me that they are avoiding the question all together. What state department would I be able to contact to get clarity of the laws?
Do you mean the local sheriff in Ohio? If they don't know, it sounds like they need some edumacation... They are the ones on the side of the road who have to decide whether or not to give you a ticket.

I really don't know anything about Law Enforcement in Ohio. Ultimately, if you are carrying in Ohio, it's up to the folks in Ohio to tell you what documents you need, and specifically if a Virginia-issued permit will suffice.

TFred

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Do you mean the local sheriff in Ohio? If they don't know, it sounds like they need some edumacation... They are the ones on the side of the road who have to decide whether or not to give you a ticket.

I really don't know anything about Law Enforcement in Ohio. Ultimately, if you are carrying in Ohio, it's up to the folks in Ohio to tell you what documents you need, and specifically if a Virginia-issued permit will suffice.

TFred

Even though it's a CHP question:banghead:
He'd be better off asking on the Ohio forum.

scouser

According to USA Carry's Reciprocity Maps a Virginia Non Resident Permit is honored in

Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Delaware, Idaho, Indiana, Iowa, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, New Mexico, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, West Virginia, Wisconsin, Wyoming

it is NOT honored in

Alabama, California, Colorado, Connecticut, District of Columbia, Florida, Georgia, Guam, Hawaii, Illinois, Kansas, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, New York City, Oregon, Puerto Rico, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Virgin Islands, Washington

Last edited:

Marco

Bookmark this site: http://www.handgunlaw.us/
Use it as a quite guide but you should still verify what you see with the state laws in question

Mike

Site Co-Founder
You can't expect law enforcement officers to provide you legal advice.

You are asking a Virginia police officer if a person who is not a resident of Virginia, but holds a concealed handgun permits issued in Virginia, can carry concealed in a state outside of Virginia.

Come on. It is not realistic that this Virginia law enforcement officer would know the correct answer to this question, let alone offer such advice to you.

davidmcbeth

Banned

TFred

Its better for a guy to be honest though ... I have had DAs tell me something that's not OK, was OK ... felony time!

Best to read the statues and do a little self-reliance

swinokur

Activist Member
A VA non resident permit is recognized anywhere a VA resident permit is recognized except for SC,CO, MI,NH,ME and FL. They only recognize resident permits.

The only other exception AFAIK is Wisconsin. They DO NOT recognize VA resident permits while they do recognize VA NR permits. This has to do with VA's lack of a fingerprint and background checks similar to WI.requirement for residents

http://www.doj.state.wi.us/dles/cib/ConcealedCarry/reciprocity.asp

Last edited: