• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Moving to Jacksonville next month!

DJDD

Just accepted a job offer in Jacksonville, looking to see what I need to know before moving down. So far it looks like I'm gonna be hunting and fishing alot if I want to OC. Any good places to shoot around there? Moving from Alabama so I'm used to being able to OC and shoot for cheap/free at the local wildlife management area ranges.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
I'd recommend keeping the Resume hot and don't make any major financial committments to the area (mortgage). It's just been announced that the CWP is functionally invalid. Even if you follow the law, you can still be arrested. An arrest record isn't good for jobs and Jacksonville is full of activist cops that will do it just to ruin your life. They've been given carte blanche.

No, there's nowhere good to shoot for cheap in J-ville.

77zach

I'd recommend keeping the Resume hot and don't make any major financial committments to the area (mortgage). It's just been announced that the CWP is functionally invalid. Even if you follow the law, you can still be arrested. An arrest record isn't good for jobs and Jacksonville is full of activist cops that will do it just to ruin your life. They've been given carte blanche.

No, there's nowhere good to shoot for cheap in J-ville.

This is correct. Mackey vs state will be used in this way. Fl Carry still thinks the SC will hear and rule in our favor. ROFL.

I was watching the show cops a few months ago. A man was arrested in Jacksonville for having a firearm encased in his car. As you know, that is not a crime here.

conandan

This is correct. Mackey vs state will be used in this way. Fl Carry still thinks the SC will hear and rule in our favor. ROFL.

I was watching the show cops a few months ago. A man was arrested in Jacksonville for having a firearm encased in his car. As you know, that is not a crime here.

Unless you are a convicted felon. Or on probation.

77zach

Unless you are a convicted felon. Or on probation.

Didn't appear to be the case. But the cop and the show made it sound like he was arrested because of the gun. I was going to call FL carry about it, but it appears to have been from the late 90's or early 2000's. A rerun judging from the style of the cars.

Last edited:

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
Fl Carry still thinks the SC will hear and rule in our favor.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Print out ever disparaging word I've said about it, and I'll eat it if it comes to pass. I've read their briefs. Damn good stuff. But, it doesn't matter. A rainbow for the blind. Florida is the most corrupt state government in the USA. The law doesn't matter. Cite all you want. Make all the rational arguments you feel like. It won't make a damn bit of difference. And once the dust settles and it doesn't look too suspicious, the parties responsible for lodging the argument will be missing persons.

I look forward to eating my words. I really do. I WANT it to happen. Jsut don't fool with the font size too much. ;-)

But it won't happen. FL Carry just doesn't take this seriously. I've wondered from the beginning if they weren't just trying to scuttle all efforts. There was a groundswell, nobody took the helm, so the guv planted it's own organization and steered us into the shoals... I'm not saying that's the case. I'm just saying that, from what I've seen and what I know, it's the shoe that fits. Another thing that I'd love to be wrong about, but I'm probably not.

Please, make me eat my words.

Now, the O C efforts ahve failed. The AG is telling us the CWP is worthless, you still go to jail... Not only did we fail to get OC, but we ended up losing CC, too. Yay for half-measures!

michigan0626

Just read: https://www.floridacarry.org/litigation/21-flcourts/74-mackey-v-state . I dont really understand legal speak. So, if you have a cc'ed weapon and a cop "sees" a buldge he interprets to be a gun, he has enough RS for PC and can do a full search, not just a frisk? I thought possession of a firearm was not RS of a criminal act.

How would this apply to my situation. I am a federal law enforcement officer. I do not need, and do not have a Florida CCW. So I can be stopped, cuffed, and fully searched just because a cop thinks I have a gun? When he finds my federal ID he has to let me go right? If this were to happen would I have any legal recourse?

If this is all true then there is no end to the abuse a cop can inflict. He could stop anybody, without question, cuff them then fully search them and all he has to say is that he saw a a wrinkle or protrusion in someones pocket or waistline or purse and thought they had a gun. Third Reich much! :mad:

77zach

Just read: https://www.floridacarry.org/litigation/21-flcourts/74-mackey-v-state . I dont really understand legal speak. So, if you have a cc'ed weapon and a cop "sees" a buldge he interprets to be a gun, he has enough RS for PC and can do a full search, not just a frisk? I thought possession of a firearm was not RS of a criminal act.

How would this apply to my situation. I am a federal law enforcement officer. I do not need, and do not have a Florida CCW. So I can be stopped, cuffed, and fully searched just because a cop thinks I have a gun? When he finds my federal ID he has to let me go right? If this were to happen would I have any legal recourse?

If this is all true then there is no end to the abuse a cop can inflict. He could stop anybody, without question, cuff them then fully search them and all he has to say is that he saw a a wrinkle or protrusion in someones pocket or waistline or purse and thought they had a gun. Third Reich much! :mad:

Basically you can be arrested and have to wait to see a judge to prove you have a valid cwfl. Probably won't happen but could.

The FL constitution is written so that dishonest anti rights judges can say it means whatever they want it to mean and still maintain a small degree of credibility. I'm actually worried we may lose the exceptions to unlicensed carry in 790.25 as a result of the Norman case. The government's kourts have ways of punishing cogent challenges to tyranny.

conandan

So let me get this straight. Now that they have changed the law on printing and breif exposure. They are now saying that if you are printing an officer now has RAS to stop and search you, and possibly arrest you for carrying a firearm. Even if you have a CFWL YOU still go to jail.
I read the breif about having a CWFL is an affirmative defense. What a bunch of crap.

I am really losing all hope that Florida would not go the way of these other anti- gun states.

77zach

Even if you have a CFWL YOU still go to jail.

I am really losing all hope that Florida would not go the way of these other anti- gun states.

Correct, you can still go to jail. Even the privilege to carry concealed is fraught with peril in Florida, always has been always will be-in large part because the state will never recognize the right to openly carry (As with Ixtow, I'd love to eat those words).

That Fl is a pro gun state is a media myth, stemming from shall issue permission slips in 1987. The state is functionally closer to New Jersey than say, Washington, which had unlicensed OC and shall issue CC before 1987. The fact that the national gun control movement failed miserably after Sandy Hoock speaks volumes, but I'm not sure what Fl's fate will be. The Republicans in the legislature, especially the senate, are just neocons.

brewermerry

Just accepted a job offer in Jacksonville, looking to see what I need to know before moving down. So far it looks like I'm gonna be hunting and fishing alot if I want to OC. Any good places to shoot around there? Moving from Alabama(help) so I'm used to being able to OC and shoot for cheap/free at the local wildlife management area ranges.

Watch those towns with those speed traps ...

I have to agree with this one, because of the handful of states I drive slightly below the speed limit... Alabama is probably highest on the list. Take this advice!

I have no pity for fools who consent to a search...

Lol. Many share your opinion.