• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Michigan Supreme Court denies CADL leave to appeal

OC4me

I'm curious as to the impact this case may have on school ground carry. Is there any remaining legal wiggle room for schools to issue a trespass notice to OCers possessing a vaid CPL?

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned
I'm curious as to the impact this case may have on school ground carry. Is there any remaining legal wiggle room for schools to issue a trespass notice to OCers possessing a vaid CPL?

I don't see the case having any impact ... other than to just be another cite regarding pre-emption issues.

Raggs

Well I was wondering if schools, whether K-12 or certain universities, might still claim to be exempt from preemption.

of course they will. Schools really have nothing to lose by calling cops for open carriers.
Universities have rules that govern students behavior and I think legally in the schools rules for students they can say no weapons.
Though I see this decision not to hear the appeal as a great thing, I can still see people getting jammed up and having to get a lawyer to fight for their rights.

OC4me

of course they will. Schools really have nothing to lose by calling cops for open carriers.
Universities have rules that govern students behavior and I think legally in the schools rules for students they can say no weapons.
Though I see this decision not to hear the appeal as a great thing, I can still see people getting jammed up and having to get a lawyer to fight for their rights.

I'm a parent, not a student, so I'm not thinking about this from the perspective of a student (or faculty member).

smellslikemichigan

Campaign Veteran
you are correct about colleges. i'm attending community college right now and consulted 2 different (well-respected) 2A lawyers and they both said that public universities and colleges could not regulate non-students, but students could be prohibited from open or concealed carry.

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator

Wouldn't be a problem to issue a trespass notice to an OCer just walking around aimlessly in the hallway during school hours. The real question would be if they would do so at a football game while the OCer had ticket stubs in hand or a parent showing up to scheduled conferences with an openly carried pistol on the hip. If the reason for being trespassed is the firearm, there is an issue. However, if policy is to trespass visitors in certain circumstances, I don't see that being a problem.

Even better would be the first OCer to show up at a Detroit Lions game; the stadium is owned by an "authority". I wonder how that would play out with the NFL's weapon ban.

Raggs

Wouldn't be a problem to issue a trespass notice to an OCer just walking around aimlessly in the hallway during school hours. The real question would be if they would do so at a football game while the OCer had ticket stubs in hand or a parent showing up to scheduled conferences with an openly carried pistol on the hip. If the reason for being trespassed is the firearm, there is an issue. However, if policy is to trespass visitors in certain circumstances, I don't see that being a problem.

Even better would be the first OCer to show up at a Detroit Lions game; the stadium is owned by an "authority". I wonder how that would play out with the NFL's weapon ban.

wouldn't they likely say that the NFL is acting as a renter during the game so their rules would be ok?

HKcarrier

Just because it turned out on the right side of the coin doesn't mean I will thank Lil_Freak for anything. His improper muzzle up carry inside a building, then bending over to fill out a form causing the gun to point at people's face is just not the right way to handle things... That's just the way I feel about it. MOC was lucky to come down on the right side of things.....

BIG thanks to all the counsel that contributed and the people who showed and donated in support.

FreeInAZ

Certain Universities can and will claim they are exempt due to having their own constitution authorized by the state....i.e. U of M.

This is a good point, and highlights just how goofy MI (and all U.S. laws) can be when PUBLIC schools are in the mix. How can a citizen be banned from self defense in buildings/lands they pay for??? UofM receives money from the state, yet they are granted their own domain to "over-ride" state law basically. Say what...:confused:

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
Just because it turned out on the right side of the coin doesn't mean I will thank Lil_Freak for anything. His improper muzzle up carry inside a building, then bending over to fill out a form causing the gun to point at people's face is just not the right way to handle things...

100% agreed. Now would be the time to reiterate this point, as well.

lil_freak_66

dont know where you got your misinformation from(im assuming certain MOC admin and Pat, who spew out as much misinformation about me as shannon watts does about open carry), but ive never pointed a gun at anyones face negligently.

HKcarrier

dont know where you got your misinformation from(im assuming certain MOC admin and Pat, who spew out as much misinformation about me as shannon watts does about open carry), but ive never pointed a gun at anyones face negligently.

So you pointed it purposely then? Or are you suggesting they just made it up? The part about you OCing the shotgun was true. The part about you library card was true. The part about you filling out forms at the front desk was true. All the parts were true except they made up that while bending over at the counter, your slung shotgun pointed at their heads?

Haman J.T.

So you pointed it purposely then? Or are you suggesting they just made it up? The part about you OCing the shotgun was true. The part about you library card was true. The part about you filling out forms at the front desk was true. All the parts were true except they made up that while bending over at the counter, your slung shotgun pointed at their heads?
Yep. Hopolophobes exagerate their fears even when there are no witnesses.

FreeInAZ

My understanding is MOC leadership actually viewed the video caught by security camera's. So someone in their ranks knows .... this said ....until its posted or I see it another way I'll take Tyler's word vs the scumbags in Lansing Gov. any day of the week. This is dead horse! Why do we keep beating it? Sooner or later they would have pulled this crap with another (more conventional) OCer, that's a given. We WON! So let's count our blessing & build a huge war chest for the next battle, shall we?

Last edited:

Raggs

My understanding is MOC leadership actually viewed the video caught by security camera's. So someone in their ranks knows .... this said ....until its posted or I see it another way I'll take Tyler's word vs the scumbags in Lansing Gov. any day of the week. This is dead horse! Why do we keep beating it? Sooner or later they would have pulled this crap with another (more conventional) OCer, that's a given. We WON! So let's count our blessing & build a huge war chest for the next battle, shall we?

Win and still have butt hurt, figures