• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Charge changed in Vancouver 'Joe Biden defense' firearm case

devldogs55

http://www.komonews.com/news/local/...Joe-Biden-defense-firearm-case-272036081.html

VANCOUVER, Wash. (AP) - A prosecutor says he'll dismiss a firearms charge against a man who contends he was following the advice of Vice President Joe Biden when he fired a shotgun in the air to chase off intruders.

Jeffrey C. Barton had been scheduled for trial next week on the misdemeanor, The Columbian reported.

Barton will instead face a charge of obstructing a police officer, Clark County Prosecutor Tony Golik said Tuesday.

Barton, 53, acknowledges firing the gun in July 2013 to chase away three men who appeared to be breaking into his vehicles in Vancouver.

He planned the so-called "Biden defense," based on a statement the vice president made in February 2013 that people don't need automatic weapons because shooting a shotgun in the air would scare off intruders.

Golik doubts a jury would be persuaded beyond a reasonable doubt that Barton violated the law.

"A person, even in a no-shooting zone, still has the right to defend their person or their property," Golik said. "In this case, based on the facts, there is a reasonable argument that Mr. Barton may have been defending his person and property when he fired in the air."

Barton said the obstruction charge also is groundless.

"Tony Golik is desperately grasping at straws" to keep out of a civil suit, Barton said. "They have to charge me with something; they've let this go on too long."

His trial is tentatively scheduled for Oct. 24.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news...after-firing-gun-into-air-to-scare-/?page=all

Daniel L. Hawes, a Virginia Legal Defense attorney who defends clients for their use of firearms in self-defense, said that while Ms. Gaither should not have fired into the air, she was not wrong in wanting to defend Brianna or herself.

“A person has the right to defend themselves. A person doesn’t have to wait until they’re actually harmed,” he said. “Shooting into the air sort of changed things dramatically. She is creating a threat herself, to other people in area. She may not be guilty of a crime, but police were not wrong to charge her.”

I disagree with Dan. The police were wrong.

davidmcbeth

Banned

I shoot several rounds every hour as a preventative measure .... thanks Joe, no intruders (never had any before other than gov't officials in which cases I used a large caliber rifle to shoo away).

Here's the prosecuting attny contact info:

Administration

1013 Franklin Street
PO Box 5000, Vancouver WA 98666-5000
(360) 397-2261 | (360) 397-2230 (FAX)

Tony Golik, Prosecuting Attorney

Last edited:

Maverick9

I shoot several rounds every hour as a preventative measure .... thanks Joe, no intruders (never had any before other than gov't officials in which cases I used a large caliber rifle to shoo away).

Here's the prosecuting attny contact info:

Administration

1013 Franklin Street
PO Box 5000, Vancouver WA 98666-5000
(360) 397-2261 | (360) 397-2230 (FAX)

Tony Golik, Prosecuting Attorney

Wow, he has a big territory, Connecticut to Washington State! :)