• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

No Congrats for Texas...No Open Carry

Glockster

Frankly, I just can't stand to keep posting in the other thread. Unless you see a unicorn, after the failed concurrence vote and move to conferencing committee, it is DOA.

ccwinstructor

Centurion
There had to be a shift of nearly 50 votes to kill it

Frankly, I just can't stand to keep posting in the other thread. Unless you see a unicorn, after the failed concurrence vote and move to conferencing committee, it is DOA.

Amazing. There was a shift of what 49 votes from sending to the Senate, to voting against concurrence!

Incredible. How many of those votes were Republicans? Must be at least 30 of them.

Last edited:

ccwinstructor

Centurion
Senator Huffman deserves a lot of blame for this fiasco.

There is not a spit of pearl-jam difference among the Ruling Parties, R, D, or D-lite, they're all progressives suffering the legislative diarrhea to make-things-better leaving US the consequences.

See Angelo Codevilla's spectator.org essay America's Ruling Class -- And the Perils of Revolution http://spectator.org/print/39326

Huffman not Huffines I cannot edit the heading

I understand that Senator Joan Huffman was the one who insisted on stripping out the Dutton amendment in the senate committee. That meant the bill had to go back for concurrence. When I watched her on the live feed, she seemed to be working very hard to kill the HB 910.

Last edited by a moderator:

nonameisgood

The House is trying to force the issue, since there are no real differences in the versions passed by the two. Right now they are arguing the meaning of the word "is" right now, figuratively.

stealthyeliminator

I understand that Senator Joan Huffines was the one who insisted on stripping out the Dutton amendment in the senate committee. That meant the bill had to go back for concurrence. When I watched her on the live feed, she seemed to be working very hard to kill the HB 910.

Joan Huffman. Huffines added the amendment back in the Senate.

Needless to say, this is a very disappointing turn of events.

I am considering what courses of action might be taken in the absence of open carry provisions in the law. I don't believe that the people will take this act of the legislature lightly.

nonameisgood

... I don't believe that the people will take this act of the legislature lightly.

The public does not care. Only 4% of us care enough to have a CHL, and most of those don't want open carry. There are at least 10% who absolutely detest the idea of OC.
We are fringe.

stealthyeliminator

The public does not care. Only 4% of us care enough to have a CHL, and most of those don't want open carry. There are at least 10% who absolutely detest the idea of OC.
We are fringe.

It's clearly an if the shoe fits statement. It doesn't fit everyone. I make no implication as to how many the shoe fits. I refuse to be pessimistic about standing alone, or with what's considered only a few by my side. I believe that's characteristic of most patriots.

Last edited:

California Right To Carry

I wish I could say that I was surprised but I suspected that this was a Kabuki dance all along. The NRA, despite its facetious claims to the contrary, opposes Open Carry and the NRA has more clout behind the closed doors of the Texas legislator's offices than do the relatively unorganized members of the Texas Open Carry movement.

The time has long since passed for Texas Open Carry supporters to start raising funds for a Federal lawsuit challenging the Texas ban on openly carrying modern handguns.

"Some have made the argument, bordering on the frivolous, that only those arms in existence in the 18th century are protected by the Second Amendment. We do not interpret constitutional rights that way. Just as the First Amendment protects modern forms of communications, e.g., Reno v. American Civil Liberties Union, 521 U.S. 844, 849, 117 S.Ct. 2329, 138 L.Ed.2d 874 (1997), and the Fourth Amendment applies to modern forms of search, e.g., Kyllo v. United States, 533 U.S. 27, 35-36, 121 S.Ct. 2038, 150 L.Ed.2d 94 (2001), the Second Amendment extends, prima facie, to all instruments that constitute bearable arms, even those that were not in existence at the time of the founding." District of Columbia v. Heller, 128 S. Ct. 2783 - Supreme Court (2008) at 2791-2792.

NRA Suckers.jpg

rushcreek2

The only word that keeps coming to my mind.....is KABUKI !

What a 2-ring CIRCUS .....of clowns....spending all that time and hot wind bickering over 2 conveniently differing versions of a totally unnecessary amendment.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
We are fringe.
Prefer we are the leading edge - the point men. :)

It is not about the tool. It is about the freedom to make the choice.

stealthyeliminator

The only word that keeps coming to my mind.....is KABUKI !

What a 2-ring CIRCUS .....of clowns....spending all that time and hot wind bickering over an unnecessary amendment.

The only reason for the Huffines amendment to be added was because the House added it, and now the House wants to act like it's unacceptable! These representatives are flat out liars.

nonameisgood

My comment was in response to the notion that there would be a popular uprising. I agree that rights are not based on what the majority want, but we have to recognize that things like gay marriage are still rejected when at least 30% of the population views it as acceptable. We do not have 30% (but we have guns ;-)

Arguably someone could see proliferation of visible guns to be dangerous. There is no possible way that someone else's choice of who to marry will harm any 3rd party.
(The Senate is now discussing a resolution about marriage)

If we want liberty, we have to want ALL liberty. Those claiming to be republicans simply do not understand the idea of liberty if they ramrod this resolution while giving lip service to open carry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

carstensxd45

Can't help but feel a little hopeless, I mean what more could have been done this session to increase the chances of open Carry passing. Next session the politicians will simply do the same "song and dance ", with the same results. What realistically are the chances of the Governor calling a special session for more time?

carstensxd45

It's a shame those republican turn coats can't be held accountable, They will just lie their way out it, blaming everyone else

Glockster

I hate to get my (and our) hopes up, but saw this which presents a glimmer of hope that there is a desire to get OC passed:

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/new...290667.php?t=7692fddcaf&cmpid=twitter-premium

"Lawmakers acknowledged that while it landed, the blow was glancing at best. "I have no doubt that at the end of the day there will be an open carry bill passed in the 84th session," said bill sponsor Rep. Larry Phillips, R-Sherman."

"Rep. Poncho Nevarez, the only Democrat of the House's conferees, said he thinks there's little he and other open carry opponents can do because the bill itself enjoys such universal support among Republicans. If the 10-member conference committee fails to come to an agreement, he said, the House will accept the Huffines amendment rather than kill the bill all together."

ccwinstructor

Centurion
It would be nice if true

I hate to get my (and our) hopes up, but saw this which presents a glimmer of hope that there is a desire to get OC passed:

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/new...290667.php?t=7692fddcaf&cmpid=twitter-premium

"Lawmakers acknowledged that while it landed, the blow was glancing at best. "I have no doubt that at the end of the day there will be an open carry bill passed in the 84th session," said bill sponsor Rep. Larry Phillips, R-Sherman."

"Rep. Poncho Nevarez, the only Democrat of the House's conferees, said he thinks there's little he and other open carry opponents can do because the bill itself enjoys such universal support among Republicans. If the 10-member conference committee fails to come to an agreement, he said, the House will accept the Huffines amendment rather than kill the bill all together."

There is not much time left. I want to see it passed, but am not optimistic.