• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Rights v Responsibilities

eastmeyers

Obviously not a well written or well balanced article. I however like the comments. You have ignorant CC ONLY's (!) and other FUD's, and the person the article is written about comes on and defends himself, very well shooting them down (yup pun intended). My favorite is GRAMPS BTW, he is silly, and just completely ignores all reason and logic, and just responds to what he wants, at least the other FUD's, somewhat try.

xmanhockey7

Cop never mentioned that the person can open carry in all those places and why not educate the daughter? The idiot from this article doesn't even have an understanding of how many ppl open carry and the fact that in Michigan its fairly accepted.

MR Redenck

Cop never mentioned that the person can open carry in all those places and why not educate the daughter? The idiot from this article doesn't even have an understanding of how many ppl open carry and the fact that in Michigan its fairly accepted.

Sure was crafty the way they quoted the little girl.
I'll bet the kid never said anything!

NHCGRPR45

Yes, once again there were so many balls dropped the author of the story couldn't stay on his literary feet:rolleyes:! A very short look on this site or MOC's and he would have had all the TRUE info he could ever need. Hmm do you think a little personal opinion may have snaked its way into his "article"?

DanM

From the article:
[Christine] Tudor isn’t afraid of guns, she said. In fact, she grew up in a household around weapons . . . But . . .

[Midland Police Chief Gerald Ladwig:] I’m a firm believer in the Second Amendment, but . . .

Anti-gunners are easy to spot. One of the things they do is preface their anti-gun mentality with some pro-gun lip service. The word "but" is where the anti-gun idiocy begins.

I don't know which is more stupid: their blatantly obvious lying or their thinking we don't see it.

northofnowhere

Campaign Veteran
I respect the rights of hunters and sportsmen............ Yea, when you respect the rights of hunters you lose my vote, as I am intelligent enough to read between the lines. I posted my soapbox reply on the news site after registering, I won't repeat it here, as I presume most here feel the same way I do, lol.

I do like how the Sheriff briefly mentions you can carry in those places when licensed, but seriously focused on the right of the business owner to ask anyone they want to leave. Gee, I wonder what his personal views of guns in the hands of the public really are.

I do wonder though if that waistband gun was holstered, I have a feeling it was a IWB holster, but the woman describes it similar to Mexican Carry.

HKcarrier

Slightly off topic, but in Delhi Twp, near Lansing, they are considering adopting an ordinance regarding the discharge of guns, bows, slingshots, bb guns, etc in the Twp... based on a busy body woman who was "scared" by her neighbor practicing with his bow and the 32 signatures she got on a petition. This is in a place populated by 20k. Makes sense to me...

HKcarrier

Discharge is not covered by preemption, this has to be, and should be fought against.

I shoudl have explained myself a bit better... the point of bringing up the reference was people getting all willy nilly becuase they're "scared".... and the elected officials snapping to...

But I realize you are correct on both points... and I'm guessing it will be fought and defeated. Who knows though these days!

eastmeyers

I do wonder though if that waistband gun was holstered, I have a feeling it was a IWB holster, but the woman describes it similar to Mexican Carry.

"Mexican Carry" is just basically any form of CC. Not CC without a holster. It comes from back in the day of cowboys, riding around the west, we in the US have the 2nd amendment, protecting the right to carry. Well Mexico did not, and they outlawed it, so Mexican Cowboys, would CC, instead of OC, so they wouldn't be hassled by their form of LEOs. Hence "Mexican Carry".

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
"Mexican Carry" is just basically any form of CC. Not CC without a holster. It comes from back in the day of cowboys, riding around the west, we in the US have the 2nd amendment, protecting the right to carry. Well Mexico did not, and they outlawed it, so Mexican Cowboys, would CC, instead of OC, so they wouldn't be hassled by their form of LEOs. Hence "Mexican Carry".
Citation please. I want to use it.

eastmeyers

I don't know how much I like this article, it goes to the fact of what happened, and tells you that they CC. Then when they are done with telling the history, they assume they never used holsters, not actually citing whether they did or not. Now I am curious. I honestly don't see Mexican Cowboys, riding horses, walking around all day, CC without a holster (revolvers no less) and not shooting themselves at least once a day (especially using 19th century revolvers).

autosurgeon

I don't know how much I like this article, it goes to the fact of what happened, and tells you that they CC. Then when they are done with telling the history, they assume they never used holsters, not actually citing whether they did or not. Now I am curious. I honestly don't see Mexican Cowboys, riding horses, walking around all day, CC without a holster (revolvers no less) and not shooting themselves at least once a day (especially using 19th century revolvers).

They carried them hammer down on an empty chamber.. and in fact very few cowboys used holsters either they just stuck it behind their belt crossdraw. Almost none carried in a strongside holster as is depicted in the movies. If they did use a holster it was usually a vertical shoulder holster or a crossdraw holster.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter

eastmeyers

They carried them hammer down on an empty chamber.. and in fact very few cowboys used holsters either they just stuck it behind their belt crossdraw. Almost none carried in a strongside holster as is depicted in the movies. If they did use a holster it was usually a vertical shoulder holster or a crossdraw holster.

This makes sense, and I trust and believe you. Now if we could ever find a cite.

smellslikemichigan

Campaign Veteran

makes sense. when i have my ruger security-six 6" .357 holstered, it's always cross-draw. otherwise you have to chicken-wing the gun almost to your armpit to get it out of the holster. it's a much more fluid motion to cross-draw it.

1000TH POST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited: