• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

O HAI GUYS!!! Not OC related, but related ya know what I mean?

Slave

Ok, I need your help guys. I have a chance to get my step grandfathers 1911 service pistol from WW2. It's brown, in great shape, and would be a GREAT weapon to OC, not only because it's a 1911, but because it's also a great piece of history.

Anyone know how to look up the manufacture date by serial number? It is a Remington made one, an officer carried it, it's brown.

Only mods made are the new barrel, but I have the original barrel also.

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
Ok, I need your help guys. I have a chance to get my step grandfathers 1911 service pistol from WW2. It's brown, in great shape, and would be a GREAT weapon to OC, not only because it's a 1911, but because it's also a great piece of history.

Anyone know how to look up the manufacture date by serial number? It is a Remington made one, an officer carried it, it's brown.

Only mods made are the new barrel, but I have the original barrel also.

I have found websites that also provide this information... just throw some search terms such as "1911", "historical", "Remington", and "serial number" in Google or another search engine and see what you find.

Scooter123

I'm under the impression that the Remington Rand 1911's are fairly rare and likely quite valuable. Call me paranoid but IMO that's one you may want to keep out of sight and use a cheap Glock for carry. IN addition you'll probably find the sights on that old Service Pistol are darned near invisible compared to the sights on a modern pistol.

NHCGRPR45

I'm under the impression that the Remington Rand 1911's are fairly rare and likely quite valuable. Call me paranoid but IMO that's one you may want to keep out of sight and use a cheap Glock for carry. IN addition you'll probably find the sights on that old Service Pistol are darned near invisible compared to the sights on a modern pistol.

Hey take it easy with the "cheap glock" stuff....:pThey work just fine. :eek: