• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Missouri we have a pre-emtion Bill

mspgunner

After a lot of work here is the bill we've waiting for:

NOW CALL, WRITE EMAIL AND TELL YOUR ELECTED OFICIALS "WE WANT OUR RIGHTS BACK"!!!!!!!!

SB 680 Repeals authority for political subdivisions to regulate open carrying of firearms and requires certain local ordinances incorporate statutory justifications

Sponsor: Nieves
LR Number: 5364S.01I Fiscal Note not available
Committee:
Last Action: 1/18/2012 - S First Read--SB 680-Nieves Journal Page: S109
Title: Calendar Position: 84
Effective Date: August 28, 2012

Full Bill Text | All Actions | Available Summaries | Senate Home Page | List of 2012 Senate Bills

Current Bill Summary

SB 680 - Under current law, political subdivisions may enact ordinances regulating the open carrying of firearms. This act removes that authority so political subdivisions may not regulate the open carrying of firearms.

This act also requires that local ordinances regulating the discharge of firearms incorporate justification defenses provided by statute, which include self defense, defense of others, and defense of property.

MEGHAN LUECKE

mspgunner

Very Cool ! And I'm on it NOW !
:banana:

Sorry I couldn't tell you before. There is a small dedicated group of OCers that have been working on this for quite a while, we did not want to say anything until it hit the Senate Web site. Now it is time for everyone to do their part and contcat their House and Senate Members and get this thing rolling.

We want our rights back and not have "local" government resrticting our constitutional rights under the Missouri Constitution Art. Sec 23

See Chapter 21 Sec 21.750.3 of the Missouri State Statutes.

LMTD

Accomplished Advocate
Ladies and gents,

We need you. A lot of different angles are being worked to try and make this happen. PLEASE write your reps in support, we need it. Make phone calls to them. Get an audience. Tell them the truth respectfully. It is not just about carrying a gun, it is about limiting government in your life. You don't EVER need to open carry, but you ALWAYS need to have it as a choice and LIMIT the governments ability to regulate that choice.

We need every single one of you reading this board. Marc is busting his ass, others are working in the background, we need this bill to get out of committee and to a vote and your reps need to know they have to support it to earn you vote. We are very much on our own with little support from the large gun owners groups. We have a false reputation of folks looking for law suits, cowboys etc.

Now is our time to show otherwise. Tell your reps and senators that you are indeed a responsible citizen and need no additional regulation beyond the state. Tell them you want the freedom of choice and if they are truly about limited government then they need to step up and push this bill through as that is all it does, limits government.

There is no credit or power to be had this time. None of those working behind the scenes to try and make this happen have any interest. In fact, there has been nothing but cost to those involved. Are you represented by a liberal anti-gun rep because of your location? It does not matter, speak to them anyway, we need to have the loudest voice ever. If they are liberal then question them on it, after all, it is a civil right, one that was taken only out of racism.

It is time for the PEOPLE to take back their government. You have two choices, sit on your ass and watch others while hopful, or help us get it done. This is an election year, very little is expected, if we do not voice ourselves, nothing will be done.

Thanks,
Rich

Big Boy

I love OC, the 2nd amendment, and everything else about it. I am a supporter through and through and will do whatever I can.

Now, for those of us who have not dealt with representative offices before, who should we be contacting? what should we be saying? Should we be leaving messages with secretaries or will we actually get to talk to our reps?

Who should we email?

Even though I know you guys have already done your part, do a little more and give every one here (including myself) the specifics. Phone numbers, who I'm going to end up talking to on the end of that line, email addresses, Bill numbers and specifics that I should be referencing.

Help me help our state. I am an amateur in politics, but I will do everything I'm shown, and I learn quick. You want a response? Lets give it to them!

I guarantee you more people with exact specifics on what to do or who to talk to will act. I know I will. I'm good at bugging people on the phone :p

Verd

Campaign Veteran
Emailed:

Don Phillips
Claire McCaskill
Roy Blunt
Jack Goodman
Billy Long

I will be happy to email anyone else that needs to be emailed, just give me email addresses.

Oh, and this is AWESOME FRICKIN NEWS!!!!

mspgunner

I'll post the "links" , when I get home to find your Missouri State Representative and House member, I also a have a sample letter I'll post. at work right now, it will hopefully get it out tonight.

If you can naviagte to the "Missouri House of Representatives" web site there is a link to find your Rep and Senator!

Write, call, email..... Better yet make an appointment, go to Jefferson City and talk with them one on one.

There are many fine talking points on the front page of opencarry.org to help you.

Do not write your federally elected officials, this is a "State matter", the federal government screws things up on their own level. Roy Blunt and Claire are federal.

OC for ME

This is what is returned after your search.

The zipcode you entered, XXXXX-XXXX, is currently in:

Your statewide elected officials are:
Your US Senators are:

Notice that each person has a link to their website.

Oramac

The zipcode you entered, XXXXX-XXXX, is currently in:

Senatorial district 002 - Senator Scott Rupp
House district 013 - Representative Chuck Gatschenberger
U.S. House district 02 - Congressman Todd Akin

Your statewide elected officials are:

Governor Jay Nixon
Lieutenant Governor Peter Kinder
Secretary of State Robin Carnahan
State Auditor Tom Schweich
State Treasurer Clint Zweifel
Attorney General Chris Koster

Your US Senators are:

Senator Roy Blunt
Senator Claire McCaskill

You must live near me. That's exactly the same list I got.

Griz

We have house member who will introduce the same bill in the House.

Please post info when you can. I'd like to approach Ben Harris with the House Bill number and sponsor. He seemed very sincere in his letter for support.

Edit: Just read the bill. Looks great!

Last edited:

mspgunner

Please post info when you can. I'd like to approach Ben Harris with the House Bill number and sponsor. He seemed very sincere in his letter for support.

Edit: Just read the bill. Looks great!

I just created a post "Do this now to support oc in missouri "..... It reads how and what to say to your "senator".
Hopefully the House bill will follow soon!

Last edited:

ThePhotog

Called and talked with my state rep. , he is going to support it. Our senator already does support it.

Last edited:

Firedawg314

Just finished!

I have just sent an email too all my reps. Taken about a full 20 minutes. I have did "part" of my part...lets help others to do the same. Thanks again for the info.

LMTD

Accomplished Advocate
I have just sent an email too all my reps. Taken about a full 20 minutes. I have did "part" of my part...lets help others to do the same. Thanks again for the info.

Sir,

No one person will get this passed, no "one" gets credit, it takes us all and it takes us all motivating others to help as well.

Everyone is appreciated and urged to spread the word, you are all the reason it will pass!

Thanks for the support.