• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Saw the "Safety Bullet" Advertised on the News...

JollyLBK

Saw the "Safety Bullet" Advertised on the News here in Tucson, AZ on K.O.L.D and thought it was flat out ridiculous.

Here is a link to the product's website: http://www.safetybullet.com/

Basically this product is supposed to be loaded into the chamber of a semi-auto, or into the cylinder to be fired on a revolver. When the trigger is pulled (Possibly in the event of a child getting a hold of the weapon) the "bullet" in the cartridge will expand rendering the weapon useless unless reset by inserting a rod down the barrel to reset the cartridge. Check out the website for a better description.

According to the manufacturer this is supposed to eliminate the need for a gun lock and can make it "Safe" to have around the house for quick access. I think its an excuse to not exercise the fundamentals of firearms safety, and to teach those fundamentals to children. I don't have any children to be concerned with when storing my firearms, but even if I did I would not be using this product.

I read quite a bit of other forums on this product and they all had the same opinion, that this product could cause more trouble for the operator than anything else.

Opinions?

okiephlyer

I agree. In an instance where your weapon needs to be immediately available for use, how many of us would think to cycle the action twice. When I need to use it, I want it right now, not 2 cycles from now.

SFCRetired

I can see several different scenarios where that thing would get the gun owner killed or badly hurt. I won't be buying any. Don't really think he's going to sell very many of them, either.

Michigander

A gun should be locked up, or under direct supervision.

This is an argument that you should leave your guns out, and hope burglars don't know how to clear jams. Completely absurd.

eye95

My gun is under my supervision, or it is locked when I am asleep or in places I cannot carry (such as on base). You see, my front door locks. If you mean anything more than that, I must disagree and will not follow your advice. Moreover, I would advise, in the strongest terms, precisely the opposite.

Folks, keep your firearm accessible. When seconds count, keys get fumbled and combos get forgotten.

Should the government try to legislate your advice, I'd see that as in infringement on the RKBA.

Last edited:

Japle

I think its an excuse to not exercise the fundamentals of firearms safety, and to teach those fundamentals to children.

When my daughter started walking, I got a safe. Even if I could trust her not to play with guns, I sure couldn't trust her friends.

And you can't trust kids not to do what you tell them. They're kids.

For several years, my "house gun" was a 1911 with an empty chamber and an extra-strong recoil spring.

Jack House

Think about the damage that the weapon would incur by jamming a metal rod down the barrel, especially when one is annoyed and really jamming that rod in there.

Michigander

My gun is under my supervision, or it is locked when I am asleep or in places I cannot carry (such as on base). You see, my front door locks. If you mean anything more than that, I must disagree and will not follow your advice. Moreover, I would advise, in the strongest terms, precisely the opposite.

Folks, keep your firearm accessible. When seconds count, keys get fumbled and combos get forgotten.

Should the government try to legislate your advice, I'd see that as in infringement on the RKBA.

I carry at least one handgun with me almost everywhere I go. I also keep them handy at night for defense, since I don't want the overpenetration risks associated (where I live) with a bigger badder HD gun. My homeland defense guns are locked in a safe. I've known too many people who had guns stolen to wish to leave mine out of a safe, but if you feel that it's fine where you are, I can't argue. Some communities are extremely unlikely to have break ins, and some homes are very well secured.

I don't think we see anything regarding this issue very differently.

boyscout399

I see this as a potentially decent product when used properly and trained with. It could give someone another tool in their toolbox and an added layer of protection in a situation where a gun may not have been an option before. Any safety device can fail, any lock can fail. Does that mean I shouldn't use them at all? No, just don't RELY on the safety and don't let this device take the place of safe gun handling. Used in conjunction with safe gun handling, it's not a bad option to have.

HankT

State Researcher
Saw the "Safety Bullet" Advertised on the News here in Tucson, AZ on K.O.L.D and thought it was flat out ridiculous...

Opinions?

I saw this thing (perhaps under a different name) at a gun show about 2 years ago. It didn't make much sense to me. The guy didn't seem to have very many potential customers stopping at his table.

It's a kludge, seems to me, for most of us.

Although, the thing might be quite effective for, say, apartment living and where gun safes are not used/desired. Actually, that may be a reasonably large/attractive market . . . if it can be reached.

The idea of disabling a gun unless the owner (good guy) is holding it is a good one. But I'm waiting for the holy grail: the personally controlled gun (PC gun). Something with a chip in it or with some means to detect that it is MY firearm--allowing ME AND ONLY ME to fire it. Something that gives me 100% personal control over MY gun.

If such a gun could be made to be reliable and effective . . . wwwowww . . . I'd buy one in one minute. I would even be glad to pay more for such a gun, since it would provide more value.

It would change . . . A LOT.

Hmm, just thinking it through, a PC gun would actually further the diffusion of OC . . .

eye95

I carry at least one handgun with me almost everywhere I go. I also keep them handy at night for defense, since I don't want the overpenetration risks associated (where I live) with a bigger badder HD gun. My homeland defense guns are locked in a safe. I've known too many people who had guns stolen to wish to leave mine out of a safe, but if you feel that it's fine where you are, I can't argue. Some communities are extremely unlikely to have break ins, and some homes are very well secured.

I don't think we see anything regarding this issue very differently.

I think we see one thing very differently. I don't advocate a gun-safe at all. I recommend against them, unless one is incapable of keeping small ones away from guns any other way. However, I know that there are other ways.

It must be nice never to have to go on base. I do. Regularly. If the base is one of my stops, I don't carry at all. I am not even allowed to lock the gun away in my trunk while on base. Possession is outright prohibited. (That needs to change.) If I am going on base, my gun is in my home, locked courtesy of my front-door lock. If it is stolen, I will have lost a lot of other property along with it. My priority for replacing relatively meaningless "things" will be to replace the object used to protect meaningful people, my gun.

HankT

State Researcher
If I am going on base, my gun is in my home, locked courtesy of my front-door lock.

Hey. What more could you possibly do, eh?

My priority for replacing relatively meaningless "things" will be to replace the object used to protect meaningful people, my gun.

Do you have one gun? I guess it wouldn't be so bad to lose only one. It can quickly be replaced since it is, as you say, a priority . . .

eye95

Hey. What more could you possibly do, eh?

Do you have one gun? I guess it wouldn't be so bad to lose only one. It can quickly be replaced since it is, as you say, a priority . . .

I hesitate to say how many guns I have. I am prepared to defend myself and believe in redundancy in safety systems. I do not have a huge armory. I am not a hunter, and I am not preparing for The American Revolution Part Deux.

eye95

Er, you might want to reconsider that . . .

Several other OCDOers might disagree with you over at:

Thread: Republican candidate says violent overthrow of government is 'on the table' DallasNew

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...throw-of-government-is-on-the-table-DallasNew

Yeah, I've seen that thread. The best argument against is that, while we have a shot at restoring The Federal Republic, we shouldn't risk the Constitution. A revolution WILL NULLIFY THE CONSTITUTION! Who knows what government will be installed as a result.

I heard someone on XM Patriot saying that a second revolution in America would more closely parallel the French Revolution than our American Revolution. God knows what oppressive regime would take over.

We'd have to be incredibly oppressed before that would be a risk worth taking.

Tomas

The safety bullet simply expands a split Delrin plastic plug in the chamber/throat of the barrel and renders the arm inoperative until rammed back. The safety slugs are provided with a Delrin rod to use to do that without any damage to the weapon.

It's the "last resort" protection should someone pick up the weapon and simply pull the trigger when they shouldn't.

The only charge in the case is the primer.

I would NOT use one in my "live" weapons, but I actually do have them in my "stored" weapons.