• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Black Powder Revolver For Open Carry?

rcawdor57

Campaign Veteran
I am thinking of getting a black powder revolver and of course open carrying it on occasion. I am currently looking at a Traditions 1873 Colt .44 caliber revolver.

What would "you" choose and why?

civilwarguy

I am thinking of getting a black powder revolver and of course open carrying it on occasion. I am currently looking at a Traditions 1873 Colt .44 caliber revolver.

What would "you" choose and why?

ok i know its the civil war reenactor in me but a LaMat would be my choice. Can you say fire power?

most revolvers 5-6 shots LaMat 9 plus a shotgun shot.... why use anything else?

Last edited:

rcawdor57

Campaign Veteran
The LeMAt is pretty cool but it's very big too. Too big to pack in a holster for a long time. The Remingtons are nice too. Thanks all!

Pyro01

I have a .44 cal Pietta 1860 Army Revolver, and they're pretty damn cool. I love shooting mine, and I did consider open carrying it when it was the only handgun I owned at the time. The only problem with that is you cannot unload unless you fire off all your shots or take the time to pull the round ball outta the cylinder. There's also the consideration of having the hammer on an empty chamber because if you have the hammer resting on a cap and someone bumps the hammer, it can go off. For open carry, I would not consider it to be a gun I'd use. Just my $.02.

LR Yote 312

In the past I owned a Colts Walker Replica and a Colt's 1st Model Dragoon.

Blackpowder guns are fun....alot of fun,
But they wouldnt be my choice for OC in public or
past a private outdoor shooting range.

I know someone that uses and relies on a Black powder Double
10 ga ....and know of a pedophile that is pretty thankful the second
cap didnt go.

I dont like giving a bad guy a second chance on a split second
decision.

LR Yote

1245A Defender

well,,,

modern made antiques have a hammer rest cut into the cylinder, in between the actual chambers!
rotating have a notch and lowering the hammer into the notch renders the gun drop safe!
simply removing unfired percussion caps renders the gun essentially and legally unloaded!

Last edited:

Pyro01

modern made antiques have a hammer rest cut into the cylinder, in between the actual chambers!
rotating have a notch and lowering the hammer into the notch renders the gun drop safe!
simply removing unfired percussion caps renders the gun essentially and legally unloaded!

But if you get into an altercation and you fire off a round, and then the fired cap gets stuck and prevents the cylinder from rotating, then what? I'm not saying that there isn't a way to carry it safely, but I know for a fact that even when I'm shooting it at a range that's happened to me. Ideally when you're firing the 1860 Army, you fire off your first round, aim the muzzle skyward, cock the hammer so the percussion cap doesn't jam up the cylinder, bring the gun down and fire again.

LR Yote 312

Ideally when you're firing the 1860 Army, you fire off your first round, aim the muzzle skyward, cock the hammer so the percussion cap doesn't jam up the cylinder, bring the gun down and fire again.

:D :lol::lol::lol:

You aint doin that with a Walker or 1st Model.

Do that with a Walker or 1st Model and your pickin the unfired caps off the ground.

LR Yote

phred

I have a .44 cal Pietta 1860 Army Revolver, and they're pretty damn cool. I love shooting mine, and I did consider open carrying it when it was the only handgun I owned at the time. The only problem with that is you cannot unload unless you fire off all your shots or take the time to pull the round ball outta the cylinder. There's also the consideration of having the hammer on an empty chamber because if you have the hammer resting on a cap and someone bumps the hammer, it can go off. For open carry, I would not consider it to be a gun I'd use. Just my $.02.

Can't you just remove the cylinder? If I used my Ruger Old Army, that's what I would do. But man, that is a big gun. I guess I would have to walk and talk softly.

LR Yote 312

Pullin the cyl on an ol' Colt aint practical unless your cleanin it.

The barrel is held in place with a wedge and its possible to
set it too tight for the cyl to spin.

I had a Ruger BP...swapped it off for the 1st Model.
Ruger was too nice.

BP guns are supposed to be problematic.:lol:

LR Yote

springfield 1911

Founder's Club Member
What size percussion caps are you using ? As a rule No. 11 caps are for rifles and no. 10 are for pistols.
10 fit tight and don't fly off as 11's do. Also it is not recommended to remove caps once placed on a charged cylinder. I remove my cylinder from the revolver and case it for transport the cylinder in a more protected area well padded.
As it is only my opinion the cylinder is like a loaded mag. that has been removed from the firearm for transport.

I tend to like 1858 rem. A convertion cyl. 45 long colt will cost as much as the gun perhaps a little more and at that price you can get 4-5 percussion cylinders.

http://www.buffaloarms.com/browse.cfm/4,4776.html

Last edited:

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
Can't you just remove the cylinder? If I used my Ruger Old Army, that's what I would do. But man, that is a big gun. I guess I would have to walk and talk softly.

For vehicle transport a percussion firearm can have the powder and ball in it, but it cannot have a cap on the nipple.

I have a couple of the Remington 1858's and Glockgirl has an 1851 Colt--- great fun to shoot but seriously, for OC? If everyone else carried cap and ball revolvers, okay. But if you actually NEEDED to use it you'd be at quite a disadvantage:

1) Single action revolver
2) Forget about reloading. And if you wanted to, you have to carry quite a collection of crap with you.
3) At best you might have something equivalent to a standard velocity .38 special in terms of muzzle energy, unless you're hauling a Walker or Dragoon around-- which are quite heavy.
4) Damp weather--- not good.
5) Five shots, depending upon the model-- although the Remingtons allow all six chambers to be loaded because the hammer can rest in a notch on the cylinder.
6) Much more prone to fouling, jamming, failure to fire.
7) Carrying two would be better than one--- although that's true of modern pistols too!
8) Cleaning is essential, and a pain.
9) Not much in the way of a practical holster--- what sort of retention holsters are they making for those?

On the plus side--- they are pretty and the smoke smells goooood! I prefer the scent of real black powder over Pyrodex!

LR Yote 312

Pistol caps...the good German ones.
Not that brass crap.

Colts Walker and the Dragoons are horse pistols.

Big guns.
Too big and too heavy for practical holster carry.
They weigh about 5 lbs charged and can
run a 60gr + charge of triple F.

Most .44 BP run only a 40gr charge.
A Brass frame gun aint safe past 10 or 15 gr...tho personally I wouldnt
shoot one.I like my fingers.

Its the recoil that knocks them loose.
Picture Dirty Harry wearing a 70's suit and a Kepi,tho technically
they were made before the war...the 3rd model did see some use.

There were some 2nd and 3rd models released with shoulder stocks.

LR Yote

Pyrodex ??? I wouldnt shoot that crap if it were free.
I had more miss fires and hang fires with that garbage than I ever did with
black powder....
I burned a 1lb can of BP a weekend shooting... Finally we tossed the pyrodex in a fire.
Can and all...
Only thing it did was sparkle....didnt go boom or wooooshh ...just sparkle.

Kinda pretty really.

Last edited:
M

McX

i see one here every now and again, wearing a nice western holster, with a black powder, Open Carried.

Vandil

Too slow, temperamental, heavy, large. There are enough cowboy guns that use .45 cased ammo.

theoicarry

Pistol caps...the good German ones.
Not that brass crap.

Colts Walker and the Dragoons are horse pistols.

Big guns.
Too big and too heavy for practical holster carry.
They weigh about 5 lbs charged and can
run a 60gr + charge of triple F.

Most .44 BP run only a 40gr charge.
A Brass frame gun aint safe past 10 or 15 gr...tho personally I wouldnt
shoot one.I like my fingers.

Its the recoil that knocks them loose.
Picture Dirty Harry wearing a 70's suit and a Kepi,tho technically
they were made before the war...the 3rd model did see some use.

There were some 2nd and 3rd models released with shoulder stocks.

LR Yote

Pyrodex ??? I wouldnt shoot that crap if it were free.
I had more miss fires and hang fires with that garbage than I ever did with
black powder....
I burned a 1lb can of BP a weekend shooting... Finally we tossed the pyrodex in a fire.
Can and all...
Only thing it did was sparkle....didnt go boom or wooooshh ...just sparkle.

Kinda pretty really.

I only use black powder as well. I have a couple of 50 cal, rifles and one 50 cal. Pistol. I figure using the 50 cal. pistol gives you two chances during an altercation. If you miss with the only shot you have and are close enough, with a little luck you will burn his or her hair off!!!!!!!!

Captain Nemo

Black powder firearms

I own several BP firearms My favorite for open carry is a Remington model .31 caliber (uses .32 caliber balls). I bought mine some years ago from Navy Arms. I see Cabela's has a similar model on sale for $250.

Some points:
Use American Pioneer powder. I have used Jim Schokey Gold for years with very few problems. Essetially it it non-fouling and is not hydroscopic as black powder is.

I prefer the Remington style over the Colt style because of the solid backstrap for strength, quicker loading, and fast cylinder changing. If you do choose a Colt make sure to use only #10 percussion caps. #11 will come off the nipple and jam the hammer almost every time you fire (The black powder equivalent of stovepiping). Not so often with remington style revolver although you should always use #10 caps with them also.

The remington style allows all clyinders to be loaded because of the notches in the cylinder. The Colt, you had better keep one cylinder empty.

Cylinder change during a firefight with a Colt style BP revolver is a "forget it".

The New model pocket .31 I have has a 3.5 inch barrel, 8inches overall length, and weighs about 16 ounces. It has a spur trigger which makes drawing it from a holster a mite faster.

There is a lot of talk on the forum concerning capacity, caliber size, weight, reload speed etc. Choice of firearm is like choice of vehicles. Some like Ford Focus others will settle for nothing less than a F350 Super Duty with a 6.0 deisel engine. The bottom line is to choose something you are confident in and feel comfortable with. In Wisconsin the requirement to prove "imminent danger" in order to plea a defense of self defense almost dictates that you be very close to your assailant. There may be some exceptions but in most cases that will require you to be probably not more than 10 to 12 feet away, not the media popular range of 21 feet. At 10 to 12 feet if a person can't put any bullet where it is supposed to go then maybe they should consider something other than a firearm for personalprotection. My opinion.

Krusty

IMHO, if you just want to show your different BP revolvers, go to the Rendezvous in Prarie Du Chein. If you're carrying for defensive purposes, then leave the BP guns at home and carry an auto or double action revolver. This is only my opinion.