• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I was asked to leave A club meeting

1911er

After being A member of the Bedrock Prospectors Club for more than three years I walked into the meeting tonite and was told I had to leave because the board of trustees voted that there was no firearms allowed at meetings any longer. So I asked if they were going o start searching peoples pockets.They said that doesn't matter we just dont want you carrying your gun in here any more because some people have complainedand they are afraid. So after being A member for 3 years my membership is good till Dec. but I will no longer attend meetings and I will not renew my membership if they dont want my gun they apperantley dont want my membership dues either.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Have you been carrying there for the entire three years? Do you have any idea what prompted them to make such a dumb decision? It's a loss for them because there can't be too many prospectors out there to join their group. Do you have any way of appealing their decision, or is it final? They should, at the very least, give you pro-rated membership dues back.

amzbrady

Is there a alot of money in prospecting bedrock? I've heard of prospecting for gold, and thought of joining the GPAA or the LDMA. I have seen Tom Macey openly carry on one of his shows at the Cripple Creek Outing.

Batousaii

Sorry to hear that. Seems ridiculous since all the old original prospectors were armed most of the time. They had to protect their claims right?
- Might write them a letter, and ask them how much farther they plan to wander from the old fashioned American values that the original prospectors held.

Maybe you should suggest that they only use modern equipment and clothing since they obviously don't want to emulate the real deal ...

- Sorry they are so prissy. At least you held true to the originals.

Hang in there.

Bat

HankT

State Researcher
After being A member of the Bedrock Prospectors Club for more than three years I walked into the meeting tonite and was told I had to leave because the board of trustees voted that there was no firearms allowed at meetings any longer. So I asked if they were going o start searching peoples pockets.They said that doesn't matter we just dont want you carrying your gun in here any more because some people have complainedand they are afraid. So after being A member for 3 years my membership is good till Dec. but I will no longer attend meetings and I will not renew my membership if they dont want my gun they apperantley dont want my membership dues either.

Was the board action done from an agenda item? Was there advance notice of a motion to ban guns (or OC) from meetings and events? Seems like it would have been fair and appropriate to have your input in the discussion and consideration of the new rule.

When did you start OCing at the club? Did you get any feedback about it before the board action last night?

1911er

I have been ocing there since I became A member and I think it all came on because of A change of board members. I asked if it had to be brought up for vote and was told no they make the rules. And it is Bedrock is just the name of the group they are gold prospectors.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
I had a similar experience with my American Legion Post. A guest of mine OCed into the post and the next month it was voted that no firearms are allowed in the post. I have been a Son of the AL for 17 years and have not been back since, my membership expires in January and I will not renew. Too bad really. Disgusts me a Patriotic organization can't respect the Constitution they have sworn to uphold.

I fought the decision at the state and national level and nothing they can do about it as all posts are independent to do what they want.

amlevin

How about the "Gun Clubs" that prohibit OC on their premises? Even when shooting, you are not allowed to OC on the range, even if your firearm remains holstered the entire time you are shooting other firearms.

amlevin

Does your bylaws allow them to do this without bringing it to the members first?

The Gun Club I am familiar with has a Board that "runs the show". They have full authority to set rules. This is not uncommon for organizations with "Boards of Directors" as to put everything to the membership would end up in "food fights".

I always figure that I will put up with the rules if I want to be a part of an organization. At such point I no longer like, or feel like I can follow, the rules, I will just leave. I don't feel the need to belong to clubs and organizations like some do.

Contrarian

OC prospecting.

It would seem to me that being armed while in the woods should be considered a GOOD thing - too many dangers, both four- and two-legged out there.
And as posted earlier, prospectors can be rolled for their poke.

I wander around Eastern WA with my trusty shovel and pan...and a sidearm.

papa bear

Sorry for the ignorance of the group. have you considered staying and trying to influence from within. or maybe even starting a competitive organization
like some of the other post, i've even ran into this from so called 2ndA groups

side note; i was working at a gunshow in Ashvile, NC, and a prospector came by and we got to talking about carry and prospecting at national parks( he is pro carry). he told me a story of a game warden trying to get him for fishing. till he pointed out he wasn't fishing, he was prospecting. then the GW tried to tell him he couldn't carry in the park. he then showed him the rules for carry.

Last edited:

hermannr

I'll bet it was one person that started this. Maybe a personal thing, maybe not: But, honest people have nothing to hide. Those that are not trustworthy or are up to no good, hide what they are doing.

As this change was directed against you personally, I would ask for my dues back. Just the principle of the thing.

Last edited:

golddigger14s

Activist Member
Hey 1911, sorry to hear about that. I OC when I go to the WWGPAA meetings no problem. I just got back from an outing at Money Creek with a mixture of GPAA and Bedrock people, and OC'ed the whole time with out a word.
Seamus was our leader for the outing. So come on over to WWGPAA. It amazes me a group of prospectors would be anti since we are outdoor type people who are always fighting for our rights. For those that are not familiar,
our prospecting rights here in WA are almost as bad as the gun/prospecting rights in CA.

1911er

Hey 1911, sorry to hear about that. I OC when I go to the WWGPAA meetings no problem. I just got back from an outing at Money Creek with a mixture of GPAA and Bedrock people, and OC'ed the whole time with out a word.
Seamus was our leader for the outing. So come on over to WWGPAA. It amazes me a group of prospectors would be anti since we are outdoor type people who are always fighting for our rights. For those that are not familiar,
our prospecting rights here in WA are almost as bad as the gun/prospecting rights in CA.

The meetings are on the 2nd sat right.