• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

spidey senses tingling at silverdale all star lanes

fire suppressor

A few days ago (I think it was 1-15) I was walking into silverdale all star lanes around 3 or 4 in the afternoon. As I got out of my car I took a quick look around like I always do, the only thing that stuck out was a very large, tall man in a carhartt jacket standing near the corner of the building next to the doors. I am no small man myself 6'1 but felt small compared to this man he had a couple inches on me for sure. The man was also had very board shoulders he was a very large man overall but very muscular not much fat on him. He had a short military style haircut and looked like he had just got back from Iraq. I took a quick minute and observed his behavior, I can't really describe what I did not like about him he just looked very out of place. The man definitely got my spidey senses tingling. The after watching him for a minute he seemed board and was kicking rocking with his feet, he looked like he may have been waiting for someone. After a second look at the man I I felt comfortable walking near him to walk inside to the bowling ally. He was about 25 feet away from the door and looked like he was just trying to stay warm.

As I walked towards the door the man also began walking towards to doors, I tried to make eye contact with him but his eyes refused to meet mine. He had a blank emptiness in his eyes and seemed somewhat dysfunctional in the way he moved his body. I still felt comfortable walking into the building because we here joined by 4 or 5 other people walking in and I did not feel like anything would happen with the group around me. The man did make the hair on the back of my neck stand up but decided the busy bowling ally was better than the empty parking lot behind me. We walked through the sliding glass doors but still had to walk about 15-20 feet the the doors that lead to the bowling ally. As the man, the group and I all walked together towards the bowling ally doors the man began to walk directly behind me of me well inside my personal bubble with his hands inside his jacket pockets. I walked with the groups and turned my head to look at the man, the second I tried to make eye contact he backed away and gave me my space. I held the doors open for the group and the man telling him "let me get this for you" as he passed. The man lowered his head as he passed me silent and refusing to acknowledge me.

Right away the man went and sat with a group of people and I thought I was over reacting so I went and paid for my lane and shoes. As I was bowling I kept tabs on the man and noticed he was pacing back and forth the blowing ally stopping to talk with people for only a short amount of time before they became uncomfortable and brushed him off. At one point he sat at the empty lane next to mine and watched me bowl. I was in the middle of my frame and was going to confront him after I finished it but when my frame was over he was gone, again walking the crowd. Judging on his behavior and appearance my best guess at the time was he was a soldier just getting back from Iraq dealing with PTSD.

I only had time for two games before the ally needed all the lanes for a league and I was not sure what I should do when I was finished. When I was done bowling the man was still in the ally pacing and looking at me but would never look me in the eye. I walked up to the register to turn in my shoes just as the woman behind the counter made a announcement over the intercom for all the members of the special Olympics bowling league to please meet at lane 40. I tuned in my shoes and tuned around to find the man directly in front of me well inside my personal bubble staring at me but again below the eyes. Stuck between the counter and the man I said hello and asked him if he needed something. The man replied with something I could not make out and he smiled at me. Just then a woman wearing a name tag with the special Olympic logo on it came up to me and introduced her self. She apologized if he was causing problems she told me the man was special but harmless. She told me he is very friendly but shy and liked me because I held the door open for him. I shook his hand and talked with him for a few minutes until it was his time to bowl. He finally looked me in the eye and thanked me for opening the door for him and treating him with respect. As I looked around the bowling ally was filled with people just like him and I was surprised I did not notice the others sooner. I left the bowling ally revealed and feeling a little embarrassed I was so quick to make him an threat.

You may not think this is a open carry related story and you may be right but I thought it was a good example of always being aware of your surroundings and
proving the point situations do not always turn out the way you think they are going to

Ken56

If you think about it really, everyone you don't know is a threat untill proven otherwise. "Odd" behaviour is the first tip off and if you don't keep an eye open, call it situational awareness, you just might become a victim, armed or not. Glad that it turned out to be a positive experience for both of you. you handled this very well.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
If you think about it really, everyone you don't know is a threat untill proven otherwise.

Actually it makes you a bit paranoid, I like to look at it as them not being a threat until proven otherwise. If you or others are treated this way by law enforcement (sometimes are) will object loudly that you are a law abiding citizen, not a criminal and with out intent.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
After a bit of watching, I might have approached and introduced myself.

I remember listening to Rush after September 11 and he said something that struck me to this day. If Americans would simply introduce themselves to the persons sitting around them on flights 911 may have never happened. Stop, introduce yourself, look them in the eye and get to know them for a little bit.

Since that day I have done this when I fly and I can say everyone is always happy to tell you their story. I don't think those 19 SOBs would of done so may they rot in hell. YMMV

Ken56

Paranoid comment point taken..... lol. It gave me a little chuckle I must say. OK, with that, I will say that I am not always on edge and looking for the boogie man everywhere. I am just saying that its part of situational awareness to observe others around us and asess their behaviour. "Odd" behaviour or dress puts me on alert more than I normally would be. Stay safe out there.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
Ken56 thanks for clarifying as I do subscribe to situational awareness as well just not to the point as earlier described.

Careful there are those on here who strongly feel that how they act, dress or conduct themselves should matter on how they are perceived but then again I think you on dead on in the concept.

fire suppressor this is indeed a good topic. Another point of view to consider, what if he also was one of the 300,000 in Washington State that has a concealed weapons permit and a percentage of that open or conceal carry and practice situational awareness and the same concerns as you when you were watching him?

sawah

OK, big, formidable guy and you let him get your six and THAT'S supposed to be SA? I don't get it.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
OK, big, formidable guy and you let him get your six and THAT'S supposed to be SA? I don't get it.

Sawah,

Welcome to OCDO. Perhaps you should read and seek to understand more before jumping down on someone relating their story. The OP clearly suggests that his SA was not 100% in this encounter and wanted to share that with the group.

fire suppressor

Sawah,

Welcome to OCDO. Perhaps you should read and seek to understand more before jumping down on someone relating their story. The OP clearly suggests that his SA was not 100% in this encounter and wanted to share that with the group.

Gogo that's correct. Sometimes we have good intentions but still miss read the situation. I also had my blinders on I focused in on the one man and never noticed the other couple dozen people walking around the bowling that looked at behaved just like him. We need to remember to look at the whole picture. If I had noticed the others around him he probably would not have stuck out to me as out of place. I was hoping someone might be able to take something away from the story