• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Coming to NC beginning of August and have some OC questions.

lil_shawn1990

I am currently living in Virginia, OC state. I had lived in Jacksonville, NC for 4 years before moving here and OC'd frequently. I am having a wedding in glenville, NC but will be residing in Highlands, NC. I know that the cities can adopt local firearm laws. So i was wondering if i am allowed to OC in these 2 cities and the surrounding ones. Also if you do not know the information directly, could you tell me where to find it. I also have a Virginia Concealed which NC recognizes, but i would rather OC. I know that some cops in this area can be pretty shady when it comes to GATTTOTP, so i would like to know the local firearm ordinances beforehand. Any information is appreciated. Thank you.

papa bear

there are a few grandfathered laws in NC. but most are from years past. there is a consistency to the laws today. OC is good to go in all cities. you still can't carry in places that serve and consume alcohol and parades and funerals and places that charge admission.

know that you can be charged with anything. even running moonshine, but not likely. GATTTOTP has four conditions that have to be met, not as bad as brandishing in VA. arrest easy but conviction hard to do

lil_shawn1990

there are a few grandfathered laws in NC. but most are from years past. there is a consistency to the laws today. OC is good to go in all cities. you still can't carry in places that serve and consume alcohol and parades and funerals and places that charge admission.

know that you can be charged with anything. even running moonshine, but not likely. GATTTOTP has four conditions that have to be met, not as bad as brandishing in VA. arrest easy but conviction hard to do

ok thanks for the info, the reason i ask, is becuase i have heard that OC in Chapel Hill is ILLEGAL. also with the "serve adn consume alcohol" does that also go to convenience stores or such places liek walmart that sell alcohol.

dmatting

ok thanks for the info, the reason i ask, is becuase i have heard that OC in Chapel Hill is ILLEGAL. also with the "serve adn consume alcohol" does that also go to convenience stores or such places liek walmart that sell alcohol.

OC in Chapel Hill is perfectly legal. You just have to have a pistol that has a minimum length and I can't remember what that is. I'm sure that if you routinely OC then you won't be OCing a mouse gun. Chapel Hill has UNC there - so the only thing you need to make sure about is that you don't carry onto the campus.

"Serve AND Consume Alcohol" means just that. At C Stores and Walmart and grocery stores, etc, all you or anyone else can do there is purchase. Many ABC stores are carry friendly - just watch for signs on the doors as you would with any establishment that you are entering. If there is a gunbuster sign, it might as well be a cash buster sign to me.

Go to the stickies here in the NC section and you can download a little pamphlet for OC in NC.

lil_shawn1990

OC in Chapel Hill is perfectly legal. You just have to have a pistol that has a minimum length and I can't remember what that is. I'm sure that if you routinely OC then you won't be OCing a mouse gun. Chapel Hill has UNC there - so the only thing you need to make sure about is that you don't carry onto the campus.

"Serve AND Consume Alcohol" means just that. At C Stores and Walmart and grocery stores, etc, all you or anyone else can do there is purchase. Many ABC stores are carry friendly - just watch for signs on the doors as you would with any establishment that you are entering. If there is a gunbuster sign, it might as well be a cash buster sign to me.

Go to the stickies here in the NC section and you can download a little pamphlet for OC in NC.

Ok great info thanks. I dont plan on going to chapel hill, just citing a city with their own firearm law. I think it should be the same statewide

carolina guy

IMO about all a store with a gunbuster can do if you are OC is ask you to leave. If you are CC and the sign was "conspicuous" -- then there is some trouble. To me, if I see a sign that is CLEARLY posted, that tells me to decide if I really care about their service or products, and usually, I do not.

lil_shawn1990

IMO about all a store with a gunbuster can do if you are OC is ask you to leave. If you are CC and the sign was "conspicuous" -- then there is some trouble. To me, if I see a sign that is CLEARLY posted, that tells me to decide if I really care about their service or products, and usually, I do not.

I do not care for any store that doesn't support our 2A rights. No matter how much i want it at the time. My wife disagrees, but thats when she goes in by herself.

lil_shawn1990

Congratulations on having a wedding, they are generally fun to attend and even better if you are participating and, yet still, even better if you are the Groom.

We are already married lol, we had a courthouse wedding though, so now we are having a real ceremony. The only reason i supported having a real ceremony is for free gifts and i can get smashed lol.

lil_shawn1990

Hey guys, getting ready to head up to NC tomorrow, will be in the Garner area until Wednesday then heading to Highlands. Just making sure I've been reading yalls post correctly, I can open carry in a restaurant that serves alcohol as long as I have a concealed carry permit but am not allowed to drink, correct? I have one from Virginia.

Nascar24Glock

Hey guys, getting ready to head up to NC tomorrow, will be in the Garner area until Wednesday then heading to Highlands. Just making sure I've been reading yalls post correctly, I can open carry in a restaurant that serves alcohol as long as I have a concealed carry permit but am not allowed to drink, correct? I have one from Virginia.

NO!!!! If you go to a restaurant in North Carolina that serves alcohol, you'll need to leave your gun in your car. The law on CCW holders carrying in places that serve alcohol (provided they don't drink) doesn't take effect until October 1. You'll need to wait about two months before you can legally do that.

http://www.nraila.org/legislation/s...-pro-gun-bill-signed-into-law.aspx?s=&st=&ps=

Last edited:

lil_shawn1990

XD40sc

As another poster informed you, not until 10/1/13, and the restaurant carry bill applies ONLY to CC.
Legal summary of the restaurant carry section, by staff attorneys for the NC General Legislature.
Section 3 authorizes a person with a concealed carry permit to carry a concealed handgun at assemblies
where an admission fee is charged and any establishment that serves alcohol unless the person in control
of the premises has posted a notice prohibiting carrying a concealed handgun on the premises.

Nothing changed for those that choose to OC, with or without a CHP, whether it be restaurants, bars, theaters or on any campus.

Last edited:

Nascar24Glock

As another poster informed you, not until 10/1/13, and the restaurant carry bill applies ONLY to CC.
Legal summary of the restaurant carry section, by staff attorneys for the NC General Legislature.

Section 3 authorizes a person with a concealed carry permit to carry a concealed handgun at assemblies
where an admission fee is charged and any establishment that serves alcohol unless the person in control
of the premises has posted a notice prohibiting carrying a concealed handgun on the premises.

Nothing changed for those that choose to OC, with or without a CHP, whether it be restaurants, bars, theaters or on any campus.

That's just the bill summary. The actual text of the bill does not appear to say that.

SECTION 3. G.S. 14-269.3(b) reads as rewritten:
"(b) This section shall not apply to any of the following:
(1) A person exempted from the provisions of G.S. 14-269;G.S. 14-269.
(2) The owner or lessee of the premises or business establishment;establishment.
(3) A person participating in the event, if he the person is carrying a gun, rifle,
or pistol with the permission of the owner, lessee, or person or organization
sponsoring the event; andevent.
(4) A person registered or hired as a security guard by the owner, lessee, or
person or organization sponsoring the event.
(5) A person carrying a handgun if the person has a valid concealed handgun
permit issued in accordance with Article 54B of this Chapter, has a
concealed handgun permit considered valid under G.S. 14-415.24, or is
exempt from obtaining a permit pursuant to G.S. 14-415.25. This
subdivision shall not be construed to permit a person to carry a handgun on
any premises where the person in legal possession or control of the premises
has posted a conspicuous notice prohibiting the carrying of a concealed
handgun on the premises in accordance with G.S. 14-415.11(c)."

I'm not seeing anything in the new subsection (subsection 5) that requires the weapon to be concealed. It just says "person carrying a handgun" and then requires such a person to have a concealed carry permit. It doesn't specify the method by which the permit holder must carry the weapon (open or concealed).

Last edited:

American Patriot

That's just the bill summary. The actual text of the bill does not appear to say that.

I'm not seeing anything in the new subsection (subsection 5) that requires the weapon to be concealed. It just says "person carrying a handgun" and then requires such a person to have a concealed carry permit. It doesn't specify the method by which the permit holder must carry the weapon (open or concealed).

A CHP only has application to CARRYING CONCEALED.

American Patriot

Aceman7496

I'd like to make sure I am understanding you correctly. Are you saying that under these new laws that apply to those with a CHP, they must CC to exercise those permissions? As in: The new law that allows a person with a CHP to carry into a restaurant that serves alcohol or a movie theater means that the person must CC?