• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

This is why we NEED mandatory training

Rich B

I don't think that has anything to do with training. That has to do with a person who thinks that making fun of someone with a youtube video is more important than safety.

J.Gleason

Banned
How does this indicate that we need mandatory training? No where did I see anything that indicated that mandatory training is needed. Practice maybe, mandatory training never.

She was even careful to keep her finger off the trigger and use the safety. So much for mandatory training. Seems more like she even had enough common sense to know what to do.

TyGuy

It didn't even look like she had ear protection on, nor proper eye protection, nor a hat.

FAIL

Shane28

wish she wasnt wearing the red arrow. The person behind the camera should have corrected her hold of the gun on the second shot. I'm gonna assume it was just an unresponible solider who want to bring disgrace to the 32nd ID.

TyGuy

Do you wear all of those when you open carry?

No, was she open carrying going about her daily business? NO. She was "target" shooting or just shooting for fun. When doing such I do wear protective gear as I value my hearing, sight, and skin. Lord forbid I ever have to use my firearm in self defense then I'll be more concerned about my life than those other things, but that doesn't mean that I don't follow common sense when at the range.

J.Gleason

Banned
No, was she open carrying going about her daily business? NO. She was "target" shooting or just shooting for fun. When doing such I do wear protective gear as I value my hearing, sight, and skin. Lord forbid I ever have to use my firearm in self defense then I'll be more concerned about my life than those other things, but that doesn't mean that I don't follow common sense when at the range.

I agree, but that doesn't warrant mandatory training either. Just sayin.

TyGuy

WTF? I NEVER said that mandatory training was required. I was merely pointing out that whoever put that firearm in her hands FAILED on many levels.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
This is why we NEED mandatory training!

I wish folks were not so casual about rights.

Not every negative human experience or behavior needs government correction or prevention.

Government has already proven beyond the shadow of any doubt at all that it cannot be trusted to protect rights--its sole legitimate purpose.*

When we start calling for, allowing, or even tacitly assenting to mandatory training, we open the door to all sorts of government-manufactured problems. Too stiff requirements. Too expensive requirements. Too onerus requirements. Essentially we open another door to regulating the right to self-defense out of existence. There are plenty in government who would have no problem setting the bar so very high that few could or would invest the time and money into fulfilling the requirements. And, of course, all this has to have criminal sanctions to give it teeth.

Also, if there are mandatory training requirements, then there is justification to deny gun possession, carry, or use until the training requirements are fulfilled. Translation: Nobody who does not fulfill the requirements can possess, carry, or use the state-of-the-art in self-defense equipment.

*Declaration of Independence

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights, that among these are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. That to secure these rights, governments are instituted among men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed.

johnny amish

I wish folks were not so casual about rights.

Not every negative human experience or behavior needs government correction or prevention.

Government has already proven beyond the shadow of any doubt at all that it cannot be trusted to protect rights--its sole legitimate purpose.*

When we start calling for, allowing, or even tacitly assenting to mandatory training, we open the door to all sorts of government-manufactured problems. Too stiff requirements. Too expensive requirements. Too onerus requirements. Essentially we open another door to regulating the right to self-defense out of existence. There are plenty in government who would have no problem setting the bar so very high that few could or would invest the time and money into fulfilling the requirements. And, of course, all this has to have criminal sanctions to give it teeth.

Also, if there are mandatory training requirements, then there is justification to deny gun possession, carry, or use until the training requirements are fulfilled. Translation: Nobody who does not fulfill the requirements can possess, carry, or use the state-of-the-art in self-defense equipment.

*Declaration of Independence

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights, that among these are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. That to secure these rights, governments are instituted among men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed.

Well said.
I can't see how manditory training in necessary. She kept the gun pointed in a safe direction and made sure the safety was on when not ready to be fired. Over all she was safe, inexperienced, but safe.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Well said.
I can't see how manditory training in necessary. She kept the gun pointed in a safe direction and made sure the safety was on when not ready to be fired. Over all she was safe, inexperienced, but safe.

Thank you for the compliment.

But, this is the point. If you let "necessary" become the standard, you open the door to government, special interests, etc., deciding whether a given regulation is necessary.

And, we all know how that works out. This is the very reason Patrick Henry, George Mason, and others lobbied so noisily and hard for a Bill of Rights. "These are things you are forbidden to violate even with your pretextual necessity." "Hands off, bucko!"

Just stick to this mantra: A right is a right is a right is a right! No infringing!