• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

For those with small children - where do you keep your home defense firearm?

Aaron1124

All of my firearms are kept in a safe, in our bedroom. It's a keylock safe. My wife and I were having a discussion, and she does not feel safe with any of the firearms left out in the open where our two and a half year old daughter may grab ahold of it, regardless of if it's kept loaded or unloaded.

While I agree, this poses another question - what does a person do in the event of a home invasion or burglary? Realistically, if I hear someone prowling around my home, I'll have time to grab my firearm and prepare, however, it isn't always that white and black. There are circumstances where the intruder will just make his way in without any sort of warning signs being displayed. Especially if there are times where my wife or myself forgets to lock the door. We are normally very good about keeping our home locked, but I have caught the door a few times being unlocked.

What sort of solution to the problem do you suggest? I want to keep my firearms safely out of any sort of danger zone from my daughter and when we have small children over (my wife babysits) but I want it easily available if I need it in an emergency.

rodbender

Find a spot high enough to be out of reach for the tot. As soon as she is old enough start introducing her to it. Don't make it taboo. That will peak curiosity. When your wife babysits, just lock it up.

Daylen

I don't have kids yet, but when I do I'll probably do as my parents did when I was a little tike. Keep the guns available for adults, not locked up but not easily accessible. At 5-8 give the kid a shotgun and start keeping guns in the kid's room. When kids are too small to safely handle firearms they can be taught not to handle them, when large enough to hold the firearm properly, pull the trigger and handle the recoil they can be taught safe handling. Me and those I grew up with are living proof.

Hef

I keep my 1911, loaded and chambered, with 2 extra magazines in a GunVault on the nightstand. Everything else goes in a long gun safe. I keep a 12 gauge shotgun and 2 AR's loaded in that safe, all else is unloaded. If my 1911 is out it's in a Blackhawk Serpa CQC retention holster.

FightingGlock19

I keep my home defense guns accessible to everybody in the family. Much like the old fire extinguisher bit, goes, the family guns are treated as such.

When my boys were a bit younger, I was concerned, however, by showing them how to safely handle firearms, all of my concerns were erased. Would I leave guns in the kids' rooms? Probably not.

If my wife were babysitting, I probably wouldn't change the way I'm doing things. It's just one of those things, though, it all depends.

HankT

State Researcher
What sort of solution to the problem do you suggest? I want to keep my firearms safely out of any sort of danger zone from my daughter and when we have small children over (my wife babysits) but I want it easily available if I need it in an emergency.
The first step in the "solution" is to recognize this a problem with no perfect solution. The two goals you have established cannot be simultaneously and perfectly obtained.

There is some level of unavoidable risk in this situation--either on the out of danger zone goal or the easily available in an emergency goal. Or both.

The second step in the "solution" is to never, never forget the law of truly large numbers . . .

wrightme

Holstered on your belt is the best for that.

Otherwise, have you checked either biometric safes, or the fingerpad combo safes?

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
Holstered on your belt is the best for that.

Otherwise, have you checked either biometric safes, or the fingerpad combo safes?

I think this post sums it up.

If the issue is weight and discomfort for lounging, you could also find a lightweight pocket gun or something.

Iopencarry

The best home defense gun has always been a 12 g pump.

No one wants to use a gun on another human. You do not want the head ache that goes with it. It is better then being dead, but thats about it.

On that note, keep the pump on a rack above the reach of any kid. Keep the chamber empty and the mag full. When you hear the break-in, jack a round into the chamber. Most every bad guy knows that sound and will leave. Thats what you want. If they do not leave, you are set to do what is needed.

irish52084

I have 2 boys, 5 and 8 months. I use a gun vault next to the bed with my pistols loaded when I'm not wearing them. When we go to bed, I usually leave a loaded pistol on the nightstand. The gunvault is quick and easy to access and can be mounted just about anywhere so it's easy to reach. When my oldest son was about 4 I began teaching about the guns, how they work, safe handling etc... What age they are ready to for an accessible firearm is up to you and you know your child the best.

One thing I would suggest if you like dogs or can have one is to get a well bread protective dog. We have a german shepherd/rottweiler mix and he's great with our boys, even the baby, but will place himself in the path of danger anytime he feel it's needed. It's amazing how perceptive he is to situations and how he responds by placing himself between the danger and us. He even checks on the boys when they are sleeping, he'll walk into their rooms and sniff their faces to make sure they're still there and breathing. He does all this with just a little training. Protective dogs will also alert bark to let you know something is up or someone is coming towards the house and this can buy you that extra few seconds to get a gun, your family and call the cops. Dogs are a great deterrent of home invasions and burglaries. i consider our dog to be another layer in the defense of my family and our home. Not to mention, he's a great companion.

hogeaterf6

I have a 22 rifle by the porch door to shoot birds. A friend comes over with her daughter once in a great while. She gave me crap about having a gun. My house, my right, dont come over then.
Nephew is over quite a bit. He is 6. He doesnt bother the gun since he is raised around it by his dad.

sultan62

There has never been a time in my life (that I can remember) that I did not know where each weapon in my Dad's house was, along with the ammunition. I had access to them all, as did my younger brother. I think it's a matter of training and knowledge above all else.

That being said, a 12 gauge with the chamber empty sounds like a good call to me. If it's going to be a handgun, I'd just keep it out of reach. If you're especially talking about at night, I don't see why you couldn't just put the gun next to your bed at night, and move it again when you get up in the morning.

HankT

State Researcher
The best home defense gun has always been a 12 g pump.
On that note, keep the pump on a rack above the reach of any kid. Keep the chamber empty and the mag full. When you hear the break-in, jack a round into the chamber. Most every bad guy knows that sound and will leave. Thats what you want. If they do not leave, you are set to do what is needed.

That being said, a 12 gauge with the chamber empty sounds like a good call to me. If it's going to be a handgun, I'd just keep it out of reach.

Wouldn't it be better to have a live shell in the chamber?

Quicker. No need to get the gun into a firing state.

FightingGlock19

When you hear the break-in, jack a round into the chamber. Most every bad guy knows that sound and will leave.

That is actually a myth that's become very popular in the firearms community. Although most fights that involve a shotgun end within two rounds, the sound of the action cycling a round in the chamber does nothing to deter a criminal.

Beretta92FSLady

I have a 13, 12 and 9 year old twins. I keep my sidearm where it should be, sitting out, accessible, loaded. Not once have they ever touched any firearms that I have had sitting out.

I think it has something to do with teaching them that firearms can kill you, that the firearm is not theirs, firearms are not to be played with, and that if they ever want to touch any of the firearms all they have to do is ask and we can unload the firearm and they can ask questions, look at it...if it's a good weather day, we will go shoot the hell out of it. Being firearm competent and safe is a lifetime exercise.

People teach their kids to be idiots, and create an environment for their children to be firearm stupid. I would never do this but I would leave my handgun loaded, sitting on my desk and go shopping, leaving the kids home, and know they wouldn't touch it. I would never do that because I carry everywhere I go.

I will give an example of responsible children. My partner and I will go out to dinner together. I had taught the kids a couple of years ago to use pepper spray. We leave a huge canister of it in a specific area. They have been instructed what to do in a break-in situation, one of those things is utilizing that canister. I even went into detail about how it feels to get sprayed and how they should stay calm if they ever had to use it an got back spray...with my oldest two I have explained the psychological response that occurs when pepper spray hits a person in the face...aside from it being uncomfortable, panic sets in with the sensation of not being able to breath...I remind them that they might feel as though they can't breath, but they are able to and will be fine.

Over the past three years that canister has not been played with...the pin is still intact and the canister sits, waiting to be used for its intended purpose, to blind intruders.

Last edited:

sultan62

I have a 13, 12 and 9 year old twins. I keep my sidearm where it should be, sitting out, accessible, loaded. Not once have they ever touched any firearms that I have had sitting out.

I think it has something to do with teaching them that firearms can kill you, that the firearm is not theirs, firearms are not to be played with, and that if they ever want to touch any of the firearms all they have to do is ask and we can unload the firearm and they can ask questions, look at it...if it's a good weather day, we will go shoot the hell out of it. Being firearm competent and safe is a lifetime exercise.

People teach their kids to be idiots, and create an environment for their children to be firearm stupid. I would never do this but I would leave my handgun loaded, sitting on my desk and go shopping, leaving the kids home, and know they wouldn't touch it. I would never do that because I carry everywhere I go.

I will give an example of responsible children. My partner and I will go out to dinner together. I had taught the kids a couple of years ago to use pepper spray. We leave a huge canister of it in a specific area. They have been instructed what to do in a break-in situation, one of those things is utilizing that canister. I even went into detail about how it feels to get sprayed and how they should stay calm if they ever had to use it an got back spray...with my oldest two I have explained the psychological response that occurs when pepper spray hits a person in the face...aside from it being uncomfortable, panic sets in with the sensation of not being able to breath...I remind them that they might feel as though they can't breath, but they are able to and will be fine.

Over the past three years that canister has not been played with...the pin is still intact and the canister sits, waiting to be used for its intended purpose, to blind intruders.

I agree with this pretty much completely, except for two points.

1) What about when they are younger? I certainly agree that at the ages you mention, there is no doubt that they should be educated enough to know not to touch. But what about when they are younger?

2) At what age are/would you be willing to allow your children to use firearms to defend themselves when you are not home?

sultan62

That is actually a myth that's become very popular in the firearms community. Although most fights that involve a shotgun end within two rounds, the sound of the action cycling a round in the chamber does nothing to deter a criminal.

I have a really hard time believing that. You state it is fact--do you have any proof to back that up?

Daylen

did you spray em a bit just to make sure they would not be surprised?

hogeaterf6

I agree with this pretty much completely, except for two points.

1) What about when they are younger? I certainly agree that at the ages you mention, there is no doubt that they should be educated enough to know not to touch. But what about when they are younger?

2) At what age are/would you be willing to allow your children to use firearms to defend themselves when you are not home?

I had bb guns since i was in single didgits. Got my 1st shotgun in 4th or 5th grade.