• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

getting permit

TaborCity

Any one here know whats involved with getting permit for buying pistol'
Like do i have to get permit in county that i live in or can i go to another county.

mrjam2jab

Columbus County Sheriff

If you have a carry permit...you don't need a purchase permit.

You have to go to the sheriff of your county.

§ 14‑415.13. Application for a permit; fingerprints.

(a) A person shall apply to the sheriff of the county in which the person resides to obtain a concealed handgun permit. The applicant shall submit to the sheriff all of the following:

(1) An application, completed under oath, on a form provided by the sheriff.

(2) A nonrefundable permit fee.

(3) A full set of fingerprints of the applicant administered by the sheriff.

(4) An original certificate of completion of an approved course, adopted and distributed by the North Carolina Criminal Justice Education and Training Standards Commission, signed by the certified instructor of the course attesting to the successful completion of the course by the applicant which shall verify that the applicant is competent with a handgun and knowledgeable about the laws governing the carrying of a concealed handgun and the use of deadly force.

(5) A release, in a form to be prescribed by the Administrative Office of the Courts, that authorizes and requires disclosure to the sheriff of any records concerning the mental health or capacity of the applicant.

(b) The sheriff shall submit the fingerprints to the State Bureau of Investigation for a records check of State and national databases. The State Bureau of Investigation shall submit the fingerprints to the Federal Bureau of Investigation as necessary. The sheriff shall determine the criminal and background history of an applicant also by conducting a check through the National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS). The cost of processing the set of fingerprints shall be charged to an applicant as provided by G.S. 14‑415.19. (1995, c. 398, s. 1; c. 507, ss. 22.2(a), 22.1(b); 2006‑39, s. 2.)

Last edited:

Spearhead

Since nobody has answered your question, you go to the sheriff in your county of residence. Be advised, the address on your DL must be correct or you won't get the approved/denied letter in the mail; and the address you have to put on the 4472 won't match the one on your PPP.

What's involved? Basically fill out the form with your name, address, any past convictions, and three references.

jlamb

Since nobody has answered your question, you go to the sheriff in your county of residence. Be advised, the address on your DL must be correct or you won't get the approved/denied letter in the mail; and the address you have to put on the 4472 won't match the one on your PPP.

What's involved? Basically fill out the form with your name, address, any past convictions, and three references.

References? Is this new? Iredell county didn't require any when I applied for a purchase permit.

REDFIVE48

Just renewed my CHP in Gaston county and they asked for 3 references, I don't remember doing this on original issue 5 years ago, so maybe it is new for CHP and PPP

mekender

Just renewed my CHP in Gaston county and they asked for 3 references, I don't remember doing this on original issue 5 years ago, so maybe it is new for CHP and PPP

Requiring references for a CHP would be a violation of state law.

Spearhead

References? Is this new? Iredell county didn't require any when I applied for a purchase permit.

Some counties do. Or rather, MOST counties do. I agree it is silly. Any punk crook can find three friends to give him a good reference. Not sure how often they are actually checked. I've gotten probably a dozen PPP's over the last year and a half and they have never called any of the references I provided.

Some counties (Wayne) just ask you to list the name/address/phone # of three references. Other counties (Nash) actually want you to bring two letters from the references saying you are cool.
"Applicants must either be personally known by an area law enforcement officer, or provide two letters of reference from non-relatives"

I've also had friends apply for a PPP and list me as a reference and the SO has never called me to inquire about the applicant. I suspect it is just a way to get the name/address on file of someone who knows you so if you are later suspected of some crime they will know where to start looking for you.

Last edited:

Adam H

Somebody needs to get in touch with the Columbus County Sheriff and let him know he is in violation of state law by requiring additional information for a CHP.
Application Process:

1. You must be a resident of Columbus County .
2. The Firearms Safety/Training Course is required by the state of N.C. for any applicant. Call your local gun dealer for a list of places that offer the courses.
3. Permit application and renewal times are Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m.- 4:00 p.m. Allow at least 45 minutes to complete paperwork.
4. If approved, you will be notified by phone when your permit has been sent to us and is ready for pick up. Please allow up to 90 days processing time.
5. Concealed Carry Permits are valid for five years.
6. Please have the following information available in order to expedite the application process:

* Original Firearms Training/Safety Course certificate,
* $90. 00 EXACT cash or certified check or money order,
* Valid N.C. drivers license with current address,
* Copy of DD214 (military discharge papers) if you have served in armed forces,
* Name, address and daytime phone number of closest relative outside your household,
* Names, address, and home/work phone numbers of 3 references not related to you,
* Name, complete address and phone number of any and all physicians seen by you,
* All previous employers, complete addresses, phone numbers, supervisor's names and dates of service,
* All previous addresses and dates of residency,
* All name changes including dates of change, location, and court file number if applicable.

Here's the State laws on permit application forms and requirements.
§ 14‑415.12. Criteria to qualify for the issuance of a permit.

(a) The sheriff shall issue a permit to an applicant if the applicant qualifies under the following criteria:

(1) The applicant is a citizen of the United States and has been a resident of the State 30 days or longer immediately preceding the filing of the application.

(2) The applicant is 21 years of age or older.

(3) The applicant does not suffer from a physical or mental infirmity that prevents the safe handling of a handgun.

(4) The applicant has successfully completed an approved firearms safety and training course which involves the actual firing of handguns and instruction in the laws of this State governing the carrying of a concealed handgun and the use of deadly force. The North Carolina Criminal Justice Education and Training Standards Commission shall prepare and publish general guidelines for courses and qualifications of instructors which would satisfy the requirements of this subdivision. An approved course shall be any course which satisfies the requirements of this subdivision and is certified or sponsored by:

a. The North Carolina Criminal Justice Education and Training Standards Commission,

b. The National Rifle Association, or

c. A law enforcement agency, college, private or public institution or organization, or firearms training school, taught by instructors certified by the North Carolina Criminal Justice Education and Training Standards Commission or the National Rifle Association.

Every instructor of an approved course shall file a copy of the firearms course description, outline, and proof of certification annually, or upon modification of the course if more frequently, with the North Carolina Criminal Justice Education and Training Standards Commission.

(5) The applicant is not disqualified under subsection (b) of this section.

(b) The sheriff shall deny a permit to an applicant who:

(1) Is ineligible to own, possess, or receive a firearm under the provisions of State or federal law.

(2) Is under indictment or against whom a finding of probable cause exists for a felony.

(3) (Effective until February 1, 2011) Has been adjudicated guilty in any court of a felony.

(3) (Effective February 1, 2011) Has been adjudicated guilty in any court of a felony, unless: (i) the felony is an offense that pertains to antitrust violations, unfair trade practices, or restraints of trade, or (ii) the person's firearms rights have been restored pursuant to G.S. 14‑415.4.

(4) Is a fugitive from justice.

(5) Is an unlawful user of, or addicted to marijuana, alcohol, or any depressant, stimulant, or narcotic drug, or any other controlled substance as defined in 21 U.S.C. § 802.

(6) Is currently, or has been previously adjudicated by a court or administratively determined by a governmental agency whose decisions are subject to judicial review to be, lacking mental capacity or mentally ill. Receipt of previous consultative services or outpatient treatment alone shall not disqualify an applicant under this subdivision.

(7) Is or has been discharged from the armed forces under conditions other than honorable.

(8) Is or has been adjudicated guilty of or received a prayer for judgment continued or suspended sentence for one or more crimes of violence constituting a misdemeanor, including but not limited to, a violation of a misdemeanor under Article 8 of Chapter 14 of the General Statutes, or a violation of a misdemeanor under G.S. 14‑225.2, 14‑226.1, 14‑258.1, 14‑269.2, 14‑269.3, 14‑269.4, 14‑269.6, 14‑276.1, 14‑277, 14‑277.1, 14‑277.2, 14‑277.3A, 14‑281.1, 14‑283, 14‑288.2, 14‑288.4(a)(1) or (2), 14‑288.6, 14‑288.9, 14‑288.12, 14‑288.13, 14‑288.14, 14‑318.2, 14‑415.21(b), 14‑415.26(d), or former G.S. 14‑277.3.

(9) Has had entry of a prayer for judgment continued for a criminal offense which would disqualify the person from obtaining a concealed handgun permit.

(10) Is free on bond or personal recognizance pending trial, appeal, or sentencing for a crime which would disqualify him from obtaining a concealed handgun permit.

(11) Has been convicted of an impaired driving offense under G.S. 20‑138.1, 20‑138.2, or 20‑138.3 within three years prior to the date on which the application is submitted.

(c) An applicant shall not be ineligible to receive a concealed carry permit under subdivision (6) of subsection (b) of this section because of involuntary commitment to mental health services if the individual's rights have been restored under G.S. 122C‑54.1. (1995, c. 398, s. 1; c. 509, s. 135.3(d); 1997‑441, s. 4; 2007‑427, s. 5; 2008‑210, s. 3(b); 2009‑58, s. 1; 2010‑108, s. 5.)

§ 14‑415.14. Application form to be provided by sheriff; information to be included in application form.

(a) The sheriff shall make permit applications readily available at the office of the sheriff or at other public offices in the sheriff's jurisdiction. The permit application shall be in triplicate, in a form to be prescribed by the Administrative Office of the Courts, and shall include the following information with regard to the applicant: name, address, physical description, signature, date of birth, social security number, military status, law enforcement status, and the drivers license number or State identification card number of the applicant if used for identification in applying for the permit.

I think the Sheriff is exceeding his authority a little.

sultan62

Contact the Sheriff first, then go above him.

Just like talking to a kid first, and then going to his parents. :lol:

rotorhead

Somebody needs to get in touch with the Columbus County Sheriff and let him know he is in violation of state law by requiring additional information for a CHP.

Here's the State laws on permit application forms and requirements.

I think the Sheriff is exceeding his authority a little.

lol yeah, but by more than just a little, I'd say.

How long has this application been used in it's current form there? The Sheriff has gone way beyond the scope of what's prescribed for applications.

Names and addresses of all physicians seen by you? Really?

What a dick.

Spearhead

I've sent letters in the past to the AG inquiring why some counties require a 30 days residency, some require 6 months, some require a year in order to get a PPP.
Never got a reply.
Guess the sheriffs are allowed to make up their own requirements for a PPP.

Names and addresses of all physicians seen by you?
Does that mean currently seen by you, or ever? I'm 50 years old. No way possible I could meet that requirement if it is the later.

Last edited: