• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Man well within his rights, might be arrested OCing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

rodbender

H ehas the right to carry the firearms the way he did. The folks that called in have no right NOT to be alarmed. Would I do something like this? Probably not.

since9

Campaign Veteran
Couple of points from the article...

"OREM -- A man who frightened shoppers at the University Mall in Orem by carrying guns in the open..."

How does that "frighten shoppers?" What sort of foreign ignoramuses are these sort of shoppers who were frightened here in the United States of America, home to the Second Amendment and others? Were they British shoppers? Perhaps members of the Australian parliament... :banghead:

"The man was wearing an unloaded assault rifle..."

Not too bright. Get a case.

""When you find out [the guns are] unloaded and he's just carrying them out in the open and they're not concealed, there's not much we can do," said Sgt. Craig Martinez, Orem Police Department."

I admire their professionalism. Good for them for not jumping through someone else's backside.

"Still, mall management was upset with the man..."

Oh, boo hoo! Waaaahhh!!!! Grow a brain. This is America. Don't like it? Please feel free to leave!

"Orem police have turned the case over to the city prosecutor for a possible charge of disorderly conduct."

Why in the world would they do that? I take back my comment about their professionlism.

"Officers say that's because the man's actions caused a disturbance to many people..."

Sounds to me like those "many people" need a civics lesson. Slap them with disorderly conduct for freaking out and causing such a ruckus.

""Aphosian said. "I think people that are carrying the firearms probably, truth be told, expect to be stopped or questioned.""

Actually, :banghead: I'd rather be treated just like any other law-abiding citizen. What a ridiculously moronic statement, Mr. Aphosian.

"At the same time, he said, gun ownership rights should be respected."

Oh. I feel so much better, now. Thanks. :cry:

Jonathon Sometimes

On March 9th this year,..

I was found guilty in Municipal Court here in Birmingham, Alabama of Disorderly Conduct for a similar situation. I was playing chess at the time of my arrest, on July 4th of last year of all days.

We are appealing to Circuit Court, but my sentencing was set for July of this year, to make me wait as long as possible.

Over $1000 worth of my firearms were stolen from my person and vehicle, which are still held in police lockup.

My Alabama CPL has been revoked for over 8 months, rendering me unable to transport a handgun in my vehicle, so I can only OC and then only anywhere I can walk.

Major lawsuits are being prepared.

eye95

There is a thread where you can help defray Jonathon's legal fees. It is in the best interest of all of us that he win his case. If this injustice is allowed to stand, other prosecutors will be emboldened to use DC to harass folks for simple OC that is unaccompanied by any other acts that are traditionally thought of as disorderly.

Aknazer

guitly by a jury or bench trial?

Per the other thread it was by the judge. He's fighting now for a jury trial.

For the OP, that's retarded that he's being charged with disorderly conduct. Granted I likely would have contacted the authorities or simply asked the person myself, but that's because carrying something like that is so out of the normal. I would rather have the cops talk with the person and determine that there's nothing wrong than later find out that the person was on his way to commit a crime.

Now if carrying of rifles in places like malls was more common I wouldn't think about it (like seeing people in hunting garb with guns), but that is just too out of the norm to not at least make sure that something wasn't amiss.

Last edited:

Felix

A real case of the dumb-arse if you ask me to be walking around in front a shopping mall with a uncased rifle. Coupled with the open display of a handgun and knife. Even if totally in compliance with all applicable state gun-related statutes, a bit of common sense would be in order. I'm not all that surprised the cops came up with a DC charge; I bet the 911 switchboard was swamped with MWAG calls from mall shoppers.

I'm all for pushing back to test/maintain 2A rights but this one stepped (way) over the line. Lucky the PD didn't tack on an intimidation brandishing charge as well.

sharkey

A real case of the dumb-arse if you ask me to be walking around in front a shopping mall with a uncased rifle. Coupled with the open display of a handgun and knife. Even if totally in compliance with all applicable state gun-related statutes, a bit of common sense would be in order. I'm not all that surprised the cops came up with a DC charge; I bet the 911 switchboard was swamped with MWAG calls from mall shoppers.

I'm all for pushing back to test/maintain 2A rights but this one stepped (way) over the line. Lucky the PD didn't tack on an intimidation brandishing charge as well.

Many feel that OC with a handgun is stepping over that line. Yes it's lawful and your right, but only a dumb-arse would walk around with a gun on his hip. This isn't the wild west after all. Keep that thing in your house, locked up and field stripped.

You're the furthest from pushing back to test/maintain 2A rights.

Who decides where that line is?

RR_Broccoli

In Wisconsin and Illinois there is no concealed carry, period. Are you saying, that by crossing over the Wisconsin / Iowa state line (say, walking with a gun in their visible holster) they are a dumb arse on one side of the line and not a dumb arse with the next step on other side of the line while doing the exact same thing with no change in behavior?

Sounds to me like you don't actually believe the 2nd amendment is a constitutional or a human right at all, and are just interested in the rule of the mob or arbitrary laws.

The dumb arsery is the laws, the enforcement thereof, and the "I got mine so I don't care about yours" mentality.

Last edited:

sharkey

guns1.jpg

Gun-rights advocates say they're exercising their constitutional right to bear arms and protest, while those who argue for more gun control say it could be a disaster waiting to happen.

Phoenix police said the gun-toters at Monday's event, including the man carrying an AR-15 semi-automatic rifle slung over his shoulder, didn't need permits. No crimes were committed, and no one was arrested.

The man with the rifle declined to be identified but told The Arizona Republic that he was carrying the assault weapon because he could. "In Arizona, I still have some freedoms," he said.

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D9A4SU8G1

The incident I'm referring to here of course is his carry of a handgun with the president nearby as some would call that a 'dumb-arse' move. We don't talk about long gun OC here.

Last edited:

Felix

Who decides where that line is?

The guys in blue, tan, etc. who do law enforcement for a living; hopefully, tempered with some common sense and sound judgment based on statutes. And eventually adjudicated by the courts system.

But that common sense part is a two way street...carriers have some responsibility as well. And marching around outside a shopping mall with an exposed long gun, pistol and knife shortly after a mass killing is just dumb in my way of thinking. That's akin to being dead right.

You can skewer me for saying it but there's a limit to how much society will tolerate before we are thought of as radical kooks to be reined in. And embracing this guy actions even though he was in the right by the legal letter of the law isn't going to win us any friends.

I CC, I OC, I attend the relevant meetings, I support those wronged financially and physically at their trials but I'm not going to stand up and say this guy's actions were responsible behavior. He's either looking for attention or has lost sight of reality. We've fought too hard for our modest 2A gains to have our momentum slowed by support for stunts like this.

sharkey

Seriously?

The guys in blue, tan etc?

You declare yourself a 2A supporter but worry about what society will tolerate? A neutered right is no right, it is a privilege. What part of "shall not be infringed" do you not understand? The ones you mentioned are the ones enforcing California, New Jersey, New York, etc laws.

This may be a dangerous place for your psyche. Most of us have ideals in FREEDOM. I fear you may be losing your religion so to speak, or even find that you never truly believed in the first place.

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...s-questioned&p=1468024&viewfull=1#post1468024
Quote Originally Posted by Bikenut View Post
Hang on tight folks... another rant is about to spill over......

The anti freedom elitist pro control folks have managed to instill a cancer into the consciousness of society... the festering cancer is the concept that rights take second place to the horrible insult of "offending" or "scaring" someone.

And even those who support gun rights have been infected because they think that it is necessary to tippy toe around in fear, yes IN FEAR! of "offending" the anti's and those anti's must be sucked up to so "we the people" will be allowed to keep and bear arms as long as we don't "offend" anyone. After all, if we "offend" them they will take away what we think is a right but is really a privilege as long as we do what they say in fear they will take it away.

And make no mistake... anyone who is "offended" by the sight of a gun IS an anti. It might be a matter of degree of anti gun attitude or belief... such as... --I support the 2nd Amendment but not in a library-- being only a percentage of anti gunnery... but it still goes against "shall not be infringed".

I've heard people say ... just because I can doesn't mean I should... and I believe they are missing the point. And that point is... if you don't when you can because you are afraid someone will be "offended" or "scared" you are allowing someone else to control (infringe upon) your right to do it.

The first step in taking away the right to bear arms begins with making the bearing of arms a privilege people must ask permission to have. Next will be any type of carry other than the privilege of carrying with a license blessed by the government will be illegal. And after that the qualifications for getting the license will become more restrictive... until only those with that licensed privilege will be just those in the government.

And it all starts with the idea that in order to not "offend" or "scare" anyone we must hide our guns... we must carry them only in places ... and in ways..... and for reasons... that won't "offend" or "scare" anyone...... but only after asking permission.

-They told me I couldn't carry my gun in plain sight...
-Then they told me I couldn't carry my hidden gun in many different places, including the library..
-Then they told me I couldn't carry my gun anywhere but inside my house.........
-Then they told me I couldn't carry my gun...
-Then they told me I couldn't even have my gun...
-All because my gun "offends" and "scares" people.....
-And I went along with it all because... "just because I can doesn't mean I should"....

Last edited:

eye95

I cannot believe that someone would make that blue/tan comment!

They make zero decisions as to what rights are. They are expected to know that black-letter and case law say that rights are, and then operate in a manner that respects them.

Shame on anyone who thinks that the guys in blue or tan make rights decisions!

Claytron

The guys in blue, tan etc?

You declare yourself a 2A supporter but worry about what society will tolerate? A neutered right is no right, it is a privilege. What part of "shall not be infringed" do you not understand? The ones you mentioned are the ones enforcing California, New Jersey, New York, etc laws.

This may be a dangerous place for your psyche. Most of us have ideals in FREEDOM. I fear you may be losing your religion so to speak, or even find that you never truly believed in the first place.

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...s-questioned&p=1468024&viewfull=1#post1468024

if YOU are such a big supporter of the 2A why is it that you, and all of the "hardcore freedom fighters" here get all hush hush about long rifle OC? Is it or is it NOT a right? Why is it that you can sit there saying that the other guy is not a 2a supporter because he doesnt agree with OCing around sensitive areas or at sensitive times, yet you guys wont even TALK about long rifle OC even though its the right of many people to carry them.

Because the rules of an internet forum tell you not to talk about them? You guys talk about OCing in areas that you KNOW dont like it or even dont allow it, yet speaking of something thats against the rules on a discussion forum zips you right up??

It would probably be safe to say that long rifle OC discussion is off limits because people know its extreme and dont want to be associated with it. So you let other peoples rights slide while you promote and support your own, how is that having an "ideal in FREEDOM"? Its more like having ideals in what works for "you".

eddallen1958

I'm all for our 2nd amendment rights and this guy was within his rights. But, we do have to use a little bit of common sense and not abuse our rights. I don't carry just because I can and anyone that does so is only a danger to themselves and everyone around them. I carry for one specific reason. It is my self defense weapon; for both me and anyone that needs help. I'm not out there to impress anyone with my weapon; if I'm going to flash it around unless I'm going to be pointing it in someone's face.

Let's face it, with all the gangbanger's out there it's no wonder people got nervous. Nobody knew who this guy was or what his intentions were. This is why our government wants to take our rights away.

A gun is a weapon and I think some people seem to forget this.

protect our rights

but I'm not going to stand up and say this guy's actions were responsible behavior.

Did anyone here say his actions were RESPONSIBLE? We are simply saying. police do not have the pleasure of picking and choosing what laws they want to enforce and when they want to enforce them. Also make laws up for that matter. If you did nothing illegal, then YOU SHOULDN'T BE ARRESTED!!!!! it's actually really simple to understand if you really TRY to think about it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.