• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

MSP to allow firearms in posts, sort of.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
Received this from MSP today. I again asked what authority they have to restrict firearms in "Restricted" area. I also suggest he inform all his post commanders that firearms are allowed in at least the lobby areas of posts.

Mr. Jeffs:

The Michigan Department of State Police is currently undergoing a major restructuring. One component of this restructuring is standardizing all signs at each of our work sites. Over the next several months, standardized signs will begin to appear on MSP work sites regarding weapons.

The new signs will read: "Weapons Prohibited in Restricted Areas"

Restricted areas of work sites are those that are not open to the public.

Sincerely,

Inspector Greg Zarotney
Michigan State Police
Office of the Director
333 South Grand
Lansing, MI 48933
(517) 241-0914

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
I imagine that LEO's are exempt... which begs the question "Why have the signs?" If the area is not open to the public, who else would be there other than LEOs... who are probably exempt. It appears to be yet another attempt to discourage/prohibit the legal carry of firearms by placing confusing/pointless signs at entrances.

Last edited:
B

Bikenut

Good job Ven..... once again those terrible OC'ers who refuse to be "reasonable", "sensible", and only open carry where they are told it is "appropriate" have managed to get gun rights recognized even more than before....

:monkey

PDinDetroit

Good job Ven..... once again those terrible OC'ers who refuse to be "reasonable", "sensible", and only open carry where they are told it is "appropriate" have managed to get gun rights recognized even more than before....

:monkey

That post looks strangely familiar...

Great Job Ven!

Last edited:

7th District

I imagine that LEO's are exempt... which begs the question "Why have the signs?" If the area is not open to the public, who else would be there other than LEOs... who are probably exempt. It appears to be yet another attempt to prohibit the legal carry of firearms by placing confusing/pointless signs at entrances.

Why the sign? As a simple reminder to someone CCing I suppose. Someone OCing just won't be allowed to enter.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
Why the sign? As a simple reminder to someone CCing I suppose. Someone OCing just won't be allowed to enter.

Good question. They could ask anyone entering the restricted area if they are armed and go from there, no real need for a sign except to discourage CC and OC entirely, which I think is their intent. I will be suggesting they post the sign on the door to the restricted area and not on the front outside door.

kubel

Wouldn't it be more appropriate to just stick with the law? Any and all restrictions with regards to firearms in police stations must involve intent to either supply a firearm to an inmate, or to use it on an inmate, or to be in possession as an inmate yourself. The "secure areas" myth has been floating around far too long. As long as you have no intent to commit a crime, you can carry anywhere you are legally allowed to be.

DanM

The "secure areas" myth has been floating around far too long. As long as you have no intent to commit a crime, you can carry anywhere you are legally allowed to be.

MCL 791.262: "The [State of Michigan Corrections] department shall promulgate rules and standards promoting the proper, efficient, and humane administration of jails and lockups that are under the jurisdiction of the county sheriff . . ."
http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(25...eg.aspx?page=getObject&objectName=mcl-791-262

Michigan Corrections Department Administrative Rules for Jails and Lockups, R 791.707: "Except in emergency situations, firearms and impact weapons are permitted only in designated areas within the secured confines of the facility."
http://www.michigan.gov/documents/c...tive_Rules_for_Jails_and_Lockups_293527_7.pdf

There are secure areas of jails. State law confers sufficiently broad authority to the DOC to define them and regulate firearms within them. "Intent" is not mentioned in the DOC's jail firearms rules. You may be prosecuted for breaking DOC jail rules. Ignore these "myths" at your own legal peril.

Last edited: