• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC in Va

gwagner

I am visiting Va. We'll be stopping in Petersburg (one night) , Richmond ( one night), and Fredricksburg ten on to Manassas.

Va State Police recommended this website for info on OC. How cool is that.

Will I have any issues in Richmond around the Museum of the Confederacy? What about other places. I'll only OC is I feel I need to...nightime around Richmond, etc.

Anm while in the vehicle, just locked int he glove box or hard case??

Thoughts?

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
I am visiting Va. We'll be stopping in Petersburg (one night) , Richmond ( one night), and Fredricksburg ten on to Manassas.

Will I have any issues in Richmond around the Museum of the Confederacy? What about other places. I'll only OC is I feel I need to...nightime around Richmond, etc.

Anm while in the vehicle, just locked int he glove box or hard case??

Thoughts?

1 - Welcome to OCDO and Welcome to Virginia.

2 - When are you going to be in Virginia? If we know when we might see if we can set up a meet&greet or three.

3 - The VSP should not be recommending this place for info on OC in Virginia. They should instead be telling you a) that since there is no law against OCing you can do it, b) where there are laws agains firearms both generally and specifically, and c) where you can find those laws to read for yourself. Yes, it's nice to know the VSP thinks we are a bunch of kewel folks who have our stuff together, but their job is to refer you to the law(s).

4 - Don't lknow about the Museum of the Confederacy itself (I'm pretty sure someone will chime in soon on that venue) but it is located within VCU's MCV Campus. OC is not a problem on the sidewalks but is not allowed in any of the university's buildings. (On a side note there is supposed to be a smoking ban within 50 feet of any entrance to university buildings. VCU cops may or may not try to enforce it or enforce a total "no smoking anywhere" rule depending on the alignment of the stars. Just so you are aware.)

5 - OC in and around Richmond is tolerated well. You might get some wisecrack comments from the folks, but the cops are generally well versed on the absence of laws against OC. You need a Concealed Handgun Permit to carry (OC or CC, your choice) in the General Assembly Building, and technically anywhere inside the fence at Capitol Square although I've never seen/heard of the Capitol Police checking except inside the building.

6 - Some restaurants/stores are not OC-friendly. It's easier if you ask about a specific place rather than us trying to list every place that is known not to be OC-friendly.

7 - Don't know how to react to "I'll only OC is I feel I need to...nightime around Richmond, etc." Does that mean you will be CCing the rest of the time? Remember, the BGs in Virginia do not make appointments. It's your responsibility to be prepared at all times.

8 - "Anm while in the vehicle, just locked int he glove box or hard case??" [sic] OC in the vehicle not prohibitted. You do not need to take it out of the holster and put it on the seat, or on the dashboard. Keeping it in your holster limits the amount of touching/manipulating, which limits the opportunities for something to go wrong. It is not required to inform a police officer you are carrying (OC or CC) when stopped. Some folks do it anyhow as a gesture of being nice. YMMV. Cops in Virginia may or may not be able to pull up on their in-car computer the fact that you have a CHP from out of state. If asked about it it is not considered good form to pull your handgun out and ask the officer if he wants to see it. :>)

You can keep it in the secured glovebox or center console ("secured" does not mean "locked") without a permit, but personally I would not leave it there if I was away from the vehicle. YMMV.

Again, Welcome to Virginia, and spend lots of money here.

stay safe.

wylde007

So far as I know, Pamplin Park is privately owned and maintained. The MoC is privately owned and maintained.

Petersburg and Richmond National Battlefields are required to oblige state law for carry on the grounds, but you would be prohibited from carrying into a "facility" - which would include museum buildings.

Enjoy your visit.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
The VSP response is flattering, but totally unacceptable. We are not the government agency responsible for disseminating the correct information - they are.

Have been to the Museum of the Confederacy (private property) many times OCing w/o incident - they may be surrounded by VCU, but not part of VCU.

The Va. Sup. Ct. case of DiGiacinto v.the Rector and Visitors of George Mason University solved the problem/question as to carrying outside of the school's buildings and this applies directly to VCU - it is legal, so the streets, sidewalks, grass and dirt areas are open to OC or CC.

The only place I would avoid, outside of the obvious MCV/VCU buildings, is the VCU parking deck where you are encouraged to park when attending the museum. The deck is IMO a VCU building.

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA

The VSP should not be recommending this place for info on OC in Virginia. They should instead be telling you a) that since there is no law against OCing you can do it, b) where there are laws agains firearms both generally and specifically, and c) where you can find those laws to read for yourself. Yes, it's nice to know the VSP thinks we are a bunch of kewel folks who have our stuff together, but their job is to refer you to the law(s).

The VSP response is flattering, but totally unacceptable. We are not the government agency responsible for disseminating the correct information - they are.

Wow, you guys are tough today. We read on this site all the time that people shouldn't ask the police for legal advice or info on gun laws. The OP probably spoke to a receptionist or someone not "in the know" and they referred him to this site to get some info. Would you rather that the VSP answered the question incorrectly? I give credit to them for even knowing about OCDO and sending someone here.

I think that the heat is getting to you guys..... :)

MKEgal

In addition to the above responses, you can check out the maps section (see top & center of this page, colorful little button showing a US map) as well as the site www.handgunlaw.us

I'd be able to do this for WI, but would one of you more experienced folks in VA maybe post a link to & numbers for the applicable laws this new person might want to read?

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Wow, you guys are tough today. We read on this site all the time that people shouldn't ask the police for legal advice or info on gun laws. The OP probably spoke to a receptionist or someone not "in the know" and they referred him to this site to get some info. Would you rather that the VSP answered the question incorrectly? I give credit to them for even knowing about OCDO and sending someone here.

I think that the heat is getting to you guys..... :)

The VSP is charged with preparing information to the public on our laws as it pertains to carrying - they do a pretty good job in most instances. They know there is no law against OCing, save for a few restrictions on carrying at all.

This is NOT the same as asking Officer Friendly on the street.

I would hope that a receptionist would not presume to speak for the VSP, but would refer the caller to the proper person.

gwagner

Not new to Open Carry. Am new tot he Virginia folder.

I only plan to OC if I feel I need to...evenings, pumping gas, etc. I just wan to make sure Richmond didn't have any weird ordinances.

VSP only gives out the info on their website, which is State Law. They recommended I check here, or call each municipality for local stuff. I thought is it was pretty cool they said to look here.

We'll be on a whirlwind tour...Petersburg, Richmond, Fredericksburg all on the way to Manassas. Not much time for anything else. Thanks for the offer though.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Not new to Open Carry. Am new tot he Virginia folder.

I only plan to OC if I feel I need to...evenings, pumping gas, etc. I just wan to make sure Richmond didn't have any weird ordinances.

VSP only gives out the info on their website, which is State Law. They recommended I check here, or call each municipality for local stuff. I thought is it was pretty cool they said to look here.

We'll be on a whirlwind tour...Petersburg, Richmond, Fredericksburg all on the way to Manassas. Not much time for anything else. Thanks for the offer though.

The VSP is very much aware that Virginia enjoys preemption of local municipalities regarding carrying, transporting, storing etc of guns. Calling each or any city/county is a ludicrous suggestion.
http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+15.2-915

Yep - it is cool that we are seen as the experts and proof that they read what we post here. :lol:

user

Accomplished Advocate
I was personally gratified that they declined to give out legal advice, and referred the OP here instead of saying something like, "Well, you can read the Code of Virginia in the reference section of any public library."

OP: use the "advanced search" function for keywords for any topic you want to know about. It's all been discussed at one time or another.

Last edited:

2a4all

I was personally gratified that they declined to give out legal advice, and referred the OP here instead of saying something like, "Well, you can read the Code of Virginia in the reference section of any public library."

OP: use the "advanced search" function for keywords for any topic you want to know about. It's all been discussed at one time or another.
+1, user.

The VSP aren't the only ones to accede to a third party that OCDO & VCDL are founts of gun law knowledge which exceeds their own. I have personally heard Sheriff Diggs (York County) say the same to the press, no less.

Would that more would admit to their limitations.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
About OCDO:
"There's even an organization whose raison d'etre is promotion of open carry
. . . OpenCarry.org. These are the shock troops of the gun lobby. And, they are not going away."

Ceasefire NJ Director Brian Miller, NJ.com, August 20, 2009

About VCDL:
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
"They're pretty effective, I have to give them credit."
Jim Sollo, Chairman of Virginians Against Handgun Violence
Virginian Pilot - Nov 11, 2002

We have only gotten better and better since then - learned a lot along the way.
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
on a war against northern agrression tour? Them's some historic spots. 'Course you can't throw a rock in Virginia without hitting an historic spot.

Makes me think of the Virginia [strike]Hysterical[/strike] Historical Society.
Been permitted in their laboratory/restoration area and seen some fascinating things.