• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Made my own IWB Kydex/leather holster!

cleveland

I would love to take credit for this idea, but I got it from a fella on another forum. I do not have the means to invest $100+ on a single holster. So after reading his thread on the holster he made, I decided to make my own.

My first attempt was very crude.

100_0696.jpg

I have since upgraded from upholster leather to 6-8 oz veg-tan leather and from plastic at the hobby store to .06 Kydex. I also added 4 holes on each side to adjust the cant.

I have made a few of these and the cost (not including the start up investment in tools, wasted materials from screwing up, etc...) is around $25 each. I did have to buy some leather working tools, parts to make a vacuum box, etc... but all together it was a great idea.

I'm calling them the "Ugly" holsters. What do you think?

IWBlargeprototype20.jpg

IWBsmallprototype20.jpg

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
I think they look pretty good, especially since you just started making them. How do they hold up to daily use?

cleveland

I think they look pretty good, especially since you just started making them. How do they hold up to daily use?

It's funny that you ask. The upholstery leather was more comfortable, but these seem more durable. I am thinking that it is a matter of breaking them in. Every decent leather product I have owned had a break in period, so I'm not too worried.