• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Virginia Tech on Lockdown After Reports of "Gunman" Near Campus

VApatriot

Last edited:

carsontech

Activist Member
I also posted this in the News and Political Alerts section:

http://www.vt.edu/

Happening this morning....

Is this someone thinking the university is following the the AG's opinion, someone who just doesn't know the unconstitutional policies of VA Tech, or some loony?

"Update to VT Alerts
(10:35 a.m.) See VT homepage or email for further information on possible person with weapon. People on campus stay indoors until further notice.

Update to VT Alerts

At 9:09 a.m. three juveniles attending a camp at the university reported seeing a white male, 6 feet tall, with light brown hair outside of New Residence Hall East holding what may have been a handgun. They say the weapon was covered by a cloth or covering of some sort. He was walking fast in the direction of the volleyball courts. He was wearing a blue and white striped shirt (stripes were vertical), gray shorts and brown sandals. The subject had no facial hair or glasses.

Officers responded immediately to the area but found no one matching the description. Police have encountered no other witnesses reporting this individual or anything suspicious. Law enforcement officers from VTPD, Blacksburg PD, Christiansburg PD, Virginia State Police, and Montgomery County Sheriff's Office are patrolling the campus, continuing to look for the subject.

If anyone sees anything suspicious contact the VT Police Department at 231-6411 or 911

Campus individuals should remain indoors."

Last edited:

mpg9999

From: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/08/04/virginia-tech-on-lockdown-after-reports-gunman-near-campus/

No real details yet, but seeing as I am moving down to Blacksburg in two days to start school at Tech in the fall, this makes me "feel" really safe knowing that I will be alerted to possible approaching death even though, thanks to university rules, I won't be able to do anything to stop it.

Got this at 9:50:

VT Alert: Person with a gun reported near Dietrick. Stay Inside. Secure doors. Emergency personnel responding. Call 911 for help.

And this at 10:39:

See VT homepage or email for further information on possible person with weapon. People on campus stay indoors until further notice.

UPDATE: Person with a gun reported on Virginia Tech campus At 9:09 a.m. three juveniles attending a camp at the university reported seeing a white male, 6 feet tall, with light brown hair outside of New Residence Hall East holding what may have been a handgun. They say the weapon was covered by a cloth or covering of some sort. He was walking fast in the direction of the volleyball courts. He was wearing a blue and white striped shirt (stripes were vertical), gray shorts and brown sandals. The subject had no facial hair or glasses. Officers responded immediately to the area but found no one matching the description. Police have encountered no other witnesses reporting this individual or anything suspicious. Law enforcement officers from VTPD, Blacksburg PD and Montgomery County Sheriff's Office are patrolling the campus, continuing to look for the subject.

Article: http://www.roanoke.com/news/breaking/wb/295100

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
lol @ Virginia Tech students. Hey, let's patronize a school that will take our money and force us to be defenseless when it comes to a mad man with a gun shooting up the school.

Online distance learning ftw.

FFchris

I just saw the "Breaking News" on NBC4 about the man with a gun at VT. The spokesperson said that the kids (early teens from the DC area) saw a man"... holding what may have been a handgun. They say the weapon was covered by a cloth or covering of some sort." So how do they see something that is covered and tell that it's a gun from a distance? This sounds like a false alarm for a nonevent.

mpg9999

Can someone tell me the latest with the legality of campus carry at public VA universities? Is all carry at GMU and VCU prohibited by the VAC, or just buildings? Is carry allowed at all other public universities in VA just on the property, or buildings as well?

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
It's over. They couldn't find anything.

Seems to me the last time they couldn't find anything, something bad happened. I'm just saying that there is no way they can effectively search even a small portion of the campus and be absolutely sure it is "now" safe.

And as for three juveniles who saw someone "holding what may have been a handgun. They say the weapon was covered by a cloth or covering of some sort" - a few questions: 1) how do 3 juveniles know what a handgun looks like, 2) especially when it's coverd by a cloth or covering of some sort, and 3) what were these 3 doing being out and about on the campus unsupervised to begin with?

I know that unless someone comes forward (and even then without video proof I'm going to be skeptical) the whole thing just reeks of speculation from the very beginning. If it ever comes out that the 3 juveniles fabricated even some of their story I hope that their parents get hit with the bill for all the time and resources that everyone (campus cops, Blacksburg cops, EMS put on standby, others at VT whose time was wasted, etc) expended in dealing with their idea of generating a little excitement. If those kids spend any time with the juvenile justice system their parents should bear the cosyts of that as well.

No! Wait! Forget about making the parents pay. It really would not be fair.

Put the kids to work - something like cleaning the animal shelter or washing the heavy equipment at the landfill - and require them to turn over their pay until the bills are paid off.

stay safe.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
" So how do they see something that is covered and tell that it's a gun from a distance? This sounds like a false alarm for a nonevent.

They did say the kids were from the DC area, probably Fairfax. They see things you know...something to do with the water:uhoh:

th_skeletongun2head.jpg

wylde007

Makes you wonder what would have happened to someone carrying around the school when police arrived.
OC Lottery?

They probably would have been drawn on and had their civil and Constitutional rights violated under false pretenses.

Unless the cops up there are smarter than to abjure the LAW in deference to some school POLICY.

I don't know. Stranger things have happened.

VApatriot

This turned out exactly as I expected it would. No one was hurt (thankfully), and no one with a firearm was located.

This is what I expected because in not one campus or other mass-killing has the murder first wondered around with their weapon visible before starting their slaughter. They hide their weapons (illegally) and then come in "guns blazing" once they have selected a defenceless target, something that most of these psychos have done well in advance.

Even if someone with truly evil motives is spotted before they begin to carry out their plans, it will almost always already be too late to prevent them from doing some damage. In these cases (and most others) the bad guys will always start with the element of surprise. All that can be done to stop them is to be prepared to surprise them right back and stop them dead in their tracks.

VApatriot

They did say the kids were from the DC area, probably Fairfax. They see things you know...something to do with the water:uhoh:

th_skeletongun2head.jpg

What the heck? Why always with the Fairfax bashing? Don't get me wrong, the mentality is generally very liberal here, and I personally hate the traffic and general over-crowding, but Fairfax and the surrounding counties are much better than many others in Virginia when it comes to dealing with (or not bothering) OC/CC'rs.

I can understand a little picking-on of Fairfax now and then, but in this case it would be better to go after the real enemy, D.C. and Maryland, from where these kids actually came.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
What the heck? Why always with the Fairfax bashing? Don't get me wrong, the mentality is generally very liberal here, and I personally hate the traffic and general over-crowding, but Fairfax and the surrounding counties are much better than many others in Virginia when it comes to dealing with (or not bothering) OC/CC'rs.

I can understand a little picking-on of Fairfax now and then, but in this case it would be better to go after the real enemy, D.C. and Maryland, from where these kids actually came.

I just thought Novacop needed a little publicity since he decided to come back as himself.
No offense intended to real people.

Last edited:

Repeater

It's over. They couldn't find anything.

Seems to me the last time they couldn't find anything, something bad happened. I'm just saying that there is no way they can effectively search even a small portion of the campus and be absolutely sure it is "now" safe.

And as for three juveniles who saw someone "holding what may have been a handgun. They say the weapon was covered by a cloth or covering of some sort" - a few questions: 1) how do 3 juveniles know what a handgun looks like, 2) especially when it's coverd by a cloth or covering of some sort, and 3) what were these 3 doing being out and about on the campus unsupervised to begin with?

I know that unless someone comes forward (and even then without video proof I'm going to be skeptical) the whole thing just reeks of speculation from the very beginning. If it ever comes out that the 3 juveniles fabricated even some of their story I hope that their parents get hit with the bill for all the time and resources that everyone (campus cops, Blacksburg cops, EMS put on standby, others at VT whose time was wasted, etc) expended in dealing with their idea of generating a little excitement. If those kids spend any time with the juvenile justice system their parents should bear the cosyts of that as well.

No! Wait! Forget about making the parents pay. It really would not be fair.

Put the kids to work - something like cleaning the animal shelter or washing the heavy equipment at the landfill - and require them to turn over their pay until the bills are paid off.

stay safe.

The "three juveniles" were 15 year-old girls. How reliable are they?