• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Visiting Hampton Roads -- Any issues to be aware of?

armaborealis

Hello,

I'll be visiting Suffolk, VA soon and wanted to know if anyone is aware of any OC issues there.

- I reviewed the VCDL and OCDO pamphlets stickied here.
- I reviewed Handgunlaw.us and linked to the VA statutes to understand the "no go" areas.
- I read the last few pages of the 240 page long Hampton Roads thread.

Any specific problems with local LEOs or businesses that I should be aware of?

Any problems in Norfolk, Portsmouth, or VA Beach? I imagine that downtown Norfolk there may be more issues due to the urban area but maybe I'm wrong. Most cities tend to frown on OC...

Also thinking about going to a show at Chrysler Hall. Any issues there?

Finally, I've heard good things about The Freemason Abbey and was thinking about going there. Are they still OC friendly?

Thanks!

Last edited:
H

Herr Heckler Koch

I think that's where the sign "Dogs and sailors KEEP OFF GRASS" was invented.

I was lead engineer on a project (R/OH SSBN 643?) that underbid their shipyard. My assigned parking changed from a minutes walk to a ten minute shuttle ride.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I don't know what I can add after that informative post by Doug.:uhoh:

I don't think you'll have any problems in the area. The Norfolk PD is not OC friendly, but behave for the most part.

Just watch for signs and I recommend a recorder. Many of the areas are dangerous so use common sense about where you go.

GreatDaneMan

you will be right by my house...suffolk/chesapeake line. shoot me a message with your number.
when are you coming? might could set up a group lunch.

kord

I have spoken with many "seasoned" Va Beach and Norfolk officers who have no problems with OC or CC, but if at at the oceanfront some new or lifetime patrol officer might say OC is disturbing to the tourists. Please keep in mind that my opinion of the local LEO's is not the same as most, I usually speak with at least 4 or 5 a week and the one I saw today was happy that myself and 2 of the ladies that work with me were carrying. About a year ago I even overheard an officers phone call while he was saying "Why is he worried about getting a Concealed Carry, Virginia is an open carry state. Just tell him to buy the gun and Open Carry."

GreatDaneMan

I will add I have chatted with a couple cops around the south side here with no problem while OC. Walked past many. Many have driven past me and no Uturns. Cant say I have OC'd in the tourist area yet... I stopped going to the beach during the summer after a few dates and nearly getting into fights over people walking into and slamming into my date not caring. Id say a year and a half to two years ago was the last time I braved the crowd. Way too many people in my bubble.

kord

And what code section would that be?

Yeah, that's what I thought.

I didn't say there was a code on the matter but in a area crowed with non VA residents someone might say something. I live in VA Beach and see far too often the city is more concerned about how it appears to tourists then what is actually happening.

Something to keep in mind Va Beach PD does not have a "gang squad/unit" Having such a unit would suggest they have a gang problem. Norfolk and Hampton both have a gang unit.

I just wanted to give a warning that if another out of state visitor saw someone carrying a gun and told one of the officers on patrol, the officer would then have to look into it, or at least should have. As with anything sometimes you get great service and others you get a jerk or you wait and wait and never get anyone to help you.

WhatTimeIsIt?

Somebody verify, I believe I read that VB has a valid "stop and ID" local ordinance? So you can't go sterile carry in VB, unless I'm wrong...

Don't those only apply if you are being detained with a "reasonable suspicion" of criminal activity? Open carry alone doesn't qualify, so I wouldn't worry. I have done sterile OC all over hampton roads and it's never been an issue. In 5 years of OCing around hampton roads, I've never had any real trouble.

Glockster

Somebody verify, I believe I read that VB has a valid "stop and ID" local ordinance? So you can't go sterile carry in VB, unless I'm wrong...

Yes, did I hear my pet peeve calling? VB is one of the cities that have that law, and they have used it and in ways that have been less than friendly to OC'ers. According to what User shared with me, it has no basis in law as they apply it and wouldn't hold up as valid. It is one of those things that will no doubt require someone challenging it to have it stricken.

Glockster

Don't those only apply if you are being detained with a "reasonable suspicion" of criminal activity? Open carry alone doesn't qualify, so I wouldn't worry. I have done sterile OC all over hampton roads and it's never been an issue. In 5 years of OCing around hampton roads, I've never had any real trouble.

Unfortunately that's not the "standard" for the VB ordinance. They can pretty much use near any excuse and it has been a problem when some VB LEOs decided that the law also allows them to require producing a driver's license. And again, that has been to the detriment of OC'ers.

Glockster

Identify yes, but there is no requirement to have a license, or ID if you aren't driving, doing something that requires it.

Not sure what your reply means as it seems to mix two thoughts....but in Virginia Beach you are required under municipal code to ID, regardless of the activity or whether or not you are driving. AND the issue in particular is that some LEO have in fact required you to produce a driver's license. Doesn't matter that the law doesn't say that, no more than it matters that VB doesn't (according to User) have the legal authority to have that ordinance in place. In both cases VB does what it does, and some LEO are the same.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Not sure what your reply means as it seems to mix two thoughts....but in Virginia Beach you are required under municipal code to ID, regardless of the activity or whether or not you are driving. AND the issue in particular is that some LEO have in fact required you to produce a driver's license. Doesn't matter that the law doesn't say that, no more than it matters that VB doesn't (according to User) have the legal authority to have that ordinance in place. In both cases VB does what it does, and some LEO are the same.

What do they do if you don't have one Dan?

ryan7068

If you are willing to give your name/ address verbally to the police officer, is it required that you help them spell it?:) Just pronounce it in an odd fashion and tell them its not your fault or job if they can't spell.;)

and on a related note.....if you have a problem here, then we all do. Rest assure any criticism you get here will be just that. The few issues had in the area are the exceptions.

Last edited:

armaborealis

Thanks for the info! Everything went smoothly.

Regrettably I could not OC as much as desired as I was with my family a bunch and they're uncomfortable with the idea. Still, I OC'd when possible and had no issues (as expected).

Red Dawg

It's OBE now, but I was not mixing two thoughts. You are required, if asked to tell them who you are. You are not required to produce an ID. If you don't drive, you have no DL. If it isn't concealed, no CHP...Just because they say, show me your DL, doesn't REQUIRE you do so.