• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Comic book hero Judge Dredd 'might be gay'

Last Knight

An excellent attempt to turn the discussion, but one that fails; I read books like a fat man eats potato chips, and I'll gladly pit the best of each against each other. Saying that Sandman, Transmetropolitan, Fables or Watchmen lack depth... I can only find that to be base ignorance as to what "depth" actually is. :)

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Tapatalk 2

zack991

I dont understand the obsession with homosexuality.

It is the new cool thing to make them gay who have been straight since the comics were first started. IE spider man. Do i really care no since i am not a huge fan of comics. Yet what is funny is the ones who are now gay have a long history of being straight from day one of the comic, but the editors change their sexuality as the new cool thing to do. I dont see how this will sell more comics or are they trying to shock people by doing so?

Last edited:

Last Knight

Of those, the one I've read (although not the entire thing, if I recall). Yep, it lacks depth. Really overrated stuff, by the way. Everyone raves about it, but come on...

Eh, I think the problem with Watchmen is that it's so very seminal. Nowadays "dark" and "flawed" heroes are almost passe, so it's easy to forget that Watchmen was the first work that really broke down superman, took out the super, and left the man.

But then, you'd have to be a comics fan to notice, or to care. ;)

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Tapatalk 2

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
Eh, I think the problem with Watchmen is that it's so very seminal. Nowadays "dark" and "flawed" heroes are almost passe, so it's easy to forget that Watchmen was the first work that really broke down superman, took out the super, and left the man.

But then, you'd have to be a comics fan to notice, or to care. ;)

No, I mean that makes sense.

And, by the way, I accept that, as a storytelling medium, comic books provide a medium in which some stories can really only be told at all, the same as with cinema or TV shows.

But, once you step outside the realm of fiction, storytelling mediums such as graphic novels and cinema and television and plays and whatnot all rapidly begin to be a poor substitute indeed for true literature. History, law, science, and most especially philosophy (my preference is for the political sort) all are only explored in any depth through literature. That said, I'm a huge fan of Larry Gonick's work.

As much as I love all these media (especially TV and movies), I think it's a mistake to suggest to kids that these can ever be a substitute for, or can replace the importance of, or are even representative of the potential of literature.

Last edited:

Last Knight

No, I mean that makes sense.

And, by the way, I accept that, as a storytelling medium, comic books provide a medium in which some stories can really only be told at all, the same as with cinema or TV shows.

But, once you step outside the realm of fiction, storytelling mediums such as graphic novels and cinema and television and plays and whatnot all rapidly begin to be a poor substitute indeed for true literature. History, law, science, and most especially philosophy (my preference is for the political sort) all are only explored in any depth through literature. That said, I'm a huge fan of Larry Gonick's work.

As much as I love all these media (especially TV and movies), I think it's a mistake to suggest to kids that these can ever be a substitute for, or can replace the importance of, or are even representative of the potential of literature.

Huh, I think we've reached a point we can agree upon; none of these media can truly replace or exclude the others, because they all have their advantages. And of these, I agree, literature is the strongest; if you wiped out all but one media, I think man would suffice on books alone. :)