• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Thigh rigs: Acceptable? or too tacti-cool?

MikeTheGreek

Currently I have two set-ups that allow me to OC in this snowy MI weather with my CZ75B.

I have a iTac holster with a drop down attachment, but it's almost impossible to comfortably sit in my car with this.

I also have the thigh rig for my iTac holster. This thing fits perfectly, is extremely comfortable...but...well, it kinda makes me look like a ******.

What are your opinions on thigh rigs?

Or other ways to OC with a jacket?

skeith5

Whatever floats your boat. I personally don't think they help the "cause", just as much as long gun open carry. In cold weather I usually throw on an under armour top and a snug hoodie that allows me to open carry in a normal holster.

BOOMcat12B

I am in MO and this place loves the cold...As well as loves to switch the weather on a daily basis... To counter this and deal with OCing in the winter I bought a Patrol jacket from 5.11. Same one you see Sheriff departments use. Has zippers on the side to accommodate a holster, snaps around the holster so I have no fear of my weapon being covered, and it is also one of the best jackets I have ever owned. Obviously I have only the American flag on it...No patches or anything to make it seem like I am a LEO. But I would suggest checking them out as it has done me good for the last 3 years. Here is a link to the one I wear- http://www.511tactical.com/All-Products/Outerwear/Uniform-Jackets/Double-Duty-Jacket.html

Hope this helped.

WalkingWolf

If it works for you, then "just do it". It is nice to discuss, but you don't need permission or acceptance from anyone but you. I personally do not like them, I prefer to wear my gun outside the coat on a good belt. That said I have two french duty holsters that drop the gun lower on the hip. I like them because they are swivel holster.

I myself do not care what other people think about how I carry, I let my wife worry about things like that.

WalkingWolf

I am in MO and this place loves the cold...As well as loves to switch the weather on a daily basis... To counter this and deal with OCing in the winter I bought a Patrol jacket from 5.11. Same one you see Sheriff departments use. Has zippers on the side to accommodate a holster, snaps around the holster so I have no fear of my weapon being covered, and it is also one of the best jackets I have ever owned. Obviously I have only the American flag on it...No patches or anything to make it seem like I am a LEO. But I would suggest checking them out as it has done me good for the last 3 years. Here is a link to the one I wear- http://www.511tactical.com/All-Products/Outerwear/Uniform-Jackets/Double-Duty-Jacket.html

Hope this helped.

You can have the split sides done by most dry cleaners to any coat. But I have not as I prefer to wear my gun on top for access. When inside I just take the coat off and wear the gun in the same manner. I find using a gun belt not threaded through belt loops much more convenient.

BOOMcat12B

You can have the split sides done by most dry cleaners to any coat. But I have not as I prefer to wear my gun on top for access. When inside I just take the coat off and wear the gun in the same manner. I find using a gun belt not threaded through belt loops much more convenient.

Did not know that about the dry cleaners...Thanks for the heads up... As for the carrying while wearing this jacket, I think you might of misunderstood how it works..or I might be mis reading. not sure have not been to bed yet so the brain is slightly fuzzy. The jacket does allow you to carry on top or outside of the coat. The snap actually keeps he coat from riding up or going over the holster. Makes for easy access while not constricting movement. I use a Fobus Paddle holster, so it works with or without a belt. When I am inside, unsnap and take off and I am still carrying like i normally do. Makes things easier and safer I think because I do not have to sacrifice my usual carry style that I have spent many hours practicing drawing from and the like.

To the op..Personally I am not a fan of the drop leg. Wore one in Iraq and could never keep the thing snug against my leg...made running almost impossible at times... But if it works for ya rock it I reckon...

MikeTheGreek

Did not know that about the dry cleaners...Thanks for the heads up... As for the carrying while wearing this jacket, I think you might of misunderstood how it works..or I might be mis reading. not sure have not been to bed yet so the brain is slightly fuzzy. The jacket does allow you to carry on top or outside of the coat. The snap actually keeps he coat from riding up or going over the holster. Makes for easy access while not constricting movement. I use a Fobus Paddle holster, so it works with or without a belt. When I am inside, unsnap and take off and I am still carrying like i normally do. Makes things easier and safer I think because I do not have to sacrifice my usual carry style that I have spent many hours practicing drawing from and the like.

To the op..Personally I am not a fan of the drop leg. Wore one in Iraq and could never keep the thing snug against my leg...made running almost impossible at times... But if it works for ya rock it I reckon...

I'm going to order one of these jackets next year, since if I order one now, odds are the snow and **** will be gone by the time it gets to me. haha.

WalkingWolf

I'm going to order one of these jackets next year, since if I order one now, odds are the snow and **** will be gone by the time it gets to me. haha.

I don't think it takes that long to get them, but then I bought mine from the local uniform shop years ago. They also are not as warm as the military surplus coats. I bought for both me and my wife a Czech cadet coat for $20 apiece that is very warm, though very heavy. The coats were supposed to be used but the coats we received were brand new. A uniform parka thirty years ago was over $100, I shudder at how much they might be now.

Aknazer

Personally I liked my thigh holster while in Afghanistan but I haven't worn it since getting home. While on one side I know you shouldn't care what others think, on the other if you push people away then they are less likely to help when the antis try to push for restrictions (since most people don't really care about following the Constitution). If you're willing yoh can always try it out and see what type of a reaction others have to it.

WalkingWolf

I have never saw anybody wearing one for OCing, but I wouldn't have a problem with it. I don't think it would cause a bad reaction from the public. Anybody that would react to a holster or where it is worn is a lost cause for us anyway. They already have the anti mindset.

MikeTheGreek

I have never saw anybody wearing one for OCing, but I wouldn't have a problem with it. I don't think it would cause a bad reaction from the public. Anybody that would react to a holster or where it is worn is a lost cause for us anyway. They already have the anti mindset.

When I bought it, I wore it around work for a few hours. Pretty much scared every customer that came in, so I switched back to my Galco leather and tucked my work shirt behind it.

WalkingWolf

When I bought it, I wore it around work for a few hours. Pretty much scared every customer that came in, so I switched back to my Galco leather and tucked my work shirt behind it.

Do you work someplace where a lot of liberals are the customers? I can't understand why anybody would be scared of a holster, but then I am pretty accepting of everybody.

ADobbs1989

Do you work someplace where a lot of liberals are the customers? I can't understand why anybody would be scared of a holster, but then I am pretty accepting of everybody.

As we all know gun placement can make the gun more or less dangerous. Much like the way pistol grips can increase the lethality of a rifle.

MikeTheGreek

Repair shop in Detroit. After the shooting at my work, we all open carried. Some customers started complaining so the boss asked everyone to CC instead. Now I OC again but in my galco belt holster so it's not AS noticeable.

No idea why my thigh rig scared customers but my galco didn't, I really don't understand most people who live in this city.

FreeInAZ

Repair shop in Detroit. After the shooting at my work, we all open carried. Some customers started complaining so the boss asked everyone to CC instead. Now I OC again but in my galco belt holster so it's not AS noticeable.

No idea why my thigh rig scared customers but my galco didn't, I really don't understand most people who live in this city.

Mike - Being born & raised in Detroit (Southwest Detroit) in my earlier years, I can tell you this. The people have been brain washed. This (The murder capitol of the US) needs every law-abiding citizen to carry that can. However they are told time and time again by their very corrupt PD [under Federal sanctions for over 10 years now] "you don't need guns - we will protect you." We see what a great job they're doing to date. :eek:

So carry the way that works best for you and screw what "they" think! In my opinion most of the inhabitants of Detroit are a lost cause. Those that could have left, what is behind are for the most part - people filled with angst about everything and no will to try to fix anything on their own.

ATM

Campaign Veteran
If an anti is scared or bothered by the sight of carrying in a thigh rig, no worries, they are generally scared of and/or bothered by nearly everything gun related that comes to their notice. You certainly haven't presented anything scarier or more bothersome than any other holster, which would scare or bother them if they happened to notice.

Now other gun owners, that's a different story. Two groups will be fine with you wearing a thigh rig:

1. Those who truly don't care how or what another chooses to carry, even if it's not their own personal preference. They're simply glad to see another armed citizen exercising their RKBA.

2. Those who really want to appear tacti-cool. They really do seem to relish the notion that others will consider them operators. They are most likely to give you a wink, a nod, then a low thumbs up of approval ...and then perhaps another nod and/or wink to ensure you didn't miss it. :lol:

A third group of gun owners will have a problem with your thigh rig. Whether they mention it or not, it will bother them. Here's the reason:

3. They have a deeply rooted desire to be tacti-cool which they are ashamed of. Their natural defensive mechanism when confronted with tacti-cool is to project disdain in an attempt to escape their hidden, even denied jealousy of someone so bold as to not care what others think.
They are quite comfortable in their disdain for gun owner #2 above, but you... you represent a flaw in their very being and that is unsettling.

Hopefully humorous, but based on a wee bit of truth I suspect. :rolleyes:

Carry as you deem advantageous for you. Your comfort and confidence in doing so are of far more benefit to "the cause" than your gear IMO.

Eeyore

Depends on the context

As with all decisions about what to wear, it depends on the context. What you wear sends a message about how you want to be perceived. What looks fine on the beach wouldn't look right in church, and vice versa. Rightly or wrongly, people will treat you in accordance to how you look unless/until you can demonstrate otherwise.

If you're hiking or camping outdoors, and you're wearing a drop-down holster to clear your bulky parka or the waist-strap on your backback, go for it. It serves a practical and somewhat obvious purpose. If you want to wear it on the target range to practice your draw, fine.

If you are walking around town wearing a thigh rig, then you look like a SWAT-team-wannabe d-bag who wants to be noticed, whether you are or not. The same way young men with their pants around their knees and crooked baseball hats look like wannabe gangsta thugs.

I would argue that thigh holsters are to "regular" holsters what "assault weapons" are to "regular" weapons--they give a more military appearance which is subconsciously interpreted as more menacing. One of the major goals of OC is to "normalize" the appearance of weapons in American society, i.e. we want to desensitize the public. Looking like a SWAT-team-wannabe d-bag detracts from that objective; in fact, it reinforces negative stereotypes about gun owners.

I've spent plenty of time wearing thigh-rig holsters. They are awkward, difficult to keep in position, and can be uncomfortable. Fotr those reasons if no other, I would never choose to wear one in a non-military context except in the context I cited above. I wore them for the sole reason that it kept the holster clear of my body armor, allowing an unobstructed draw.

Besides, they wrinkle your Dockers....

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

A third group of gun owners will have a problem with your thigh rig. Whether they mention it or not, it will bother them. Here's the reason:

3. They have a deeply rooted desire to be tacti-cool which they are ashamed of. Their natural defensive mechanism when confronted with tacti-cool is to project disdain in an attempt to escape their hidden, even denied jealousy of someone so bold as to not care what others think.
They are quite comfortable in their disdain for gun owner #2 above, but you... you represent a flaw in their very being and that is unsettling.

Hopefully humorous, but based on a wee bit of truth I suspect. :rolleyes:

Carry as you deem advantageous for you. Your comfort and confidence in doing so are of far more benefit to "the cause" than your gear IMO.

As with all decisions about what to wear, it depends on the context. What you wear sends a message about how you want to be perceived. What looks fine on the beach wouldn't look right in church, and vice versa. Rightly or wrongly, people will treat you in accordance to how you look unless/until you can demonstrate otherwise.

If you're hiking or camping outdoors, and you're wearing a drop-down holster to clear your bulky parka or the waist-strap on your backback, go for it. It serves a practical and somewhat obvious purpose. If you want to wear it on the target range to practice your draw, fine.

If you are walking around town wearing a thigh rig, then you look like a SWAT-team-wannabe d-bag who wants to be noticed, whether you are or not. The same way young men with their pants around their knees and crooked baseball hats look like wannabe gangsta thugs.

I would argue that thigh holsters are to "regular" holsters what "assault weapons" are to "regular" weapons--they give a more military appearance which is subconsciously interpreted as more menacing. One of the major goals of OC is to "normalize" the appearance of weapons in American society, i.e. we want to desensitize the public. Looking like a SWAT-team-wannabe d-bag detracts from that objective; in fact, it reinforces negative stereotypes about gun owners.

I've spent plenty of time wearing thigh-rig holsters. They are awkward, difficult to keep in position, and can be uncomfortable. Fotr those reasons if no other, I would never choose to wear one in a non-military context except in the context I cited above. I wore them for the sole reason that it kept the holster clear of my body armor, allowing an unobstructed draw.

Besides, they wrinkle your Dockers....

Too Funny, ya just can't make this stuff up...:banana: