• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

2013 OK Legislation - Current Status

hrdware

Bills that made it out of committee

HB1062
Would allow teachers who complete a reserve officer training course to carry concealed firearms at school with school district approval.

HB1240
Would require court clerks to forward commitment orders to national mental health care database for the purpose of NICS checks.

HB1277
Modifies some mandetory and temporary preclusions for handgun license

HB1366
If the first set of fingerprints are bad, the next set can be taken by any sheriff, police department or approved private vendor.

HB1462
Would allow 10 year license for instructors, also removes the $60 safety class cap

HB1489
Would allow persons to apply for renewal licenses online and not be charged a convienience fee for doing so

HB1558
Would allow people with a handgun license to carry a concealed firearm on busses (subject to owner rules)

HB1622
Would allow private schools to develop their own policy regarding the carrying of firearms on private school property

HB1894
Would remove the $60 safety class course fee

HB2020
Would prevent public monies from being used to promote or advocate gun control

HB2021
Creates the Oklahoma Firearms Freedom Act. Any firearm or accessory made in Oklahoma, stamped "Made in Oklahoma" and kept within the borders of the state would be exempt from federal regulation

HJR1026
Would create a ballot item for public vote. If the ballot vote passes, the state constitution would change to move toward a constitutional carry state.

SB173
Would remove liability from businesses who allow people to carry open or concealed in the establishment.

SB831
Exception to unlawful carry; certain employees to carry firearm onto certain property

SB884 (passed senate, now in the house)
Would allow military personnel to use an active mulitary identification instead of a handgun license

SB934
Clarification of minors in posession of firearms

hrdware

SB173 passed the senate and heads to the house, however it needs to be fixed in the house due to a committee amendment. (See above post)

SB831 passed the senate and heads to the house.

HB1489 passed the house and heads to the senate

HB2021 passed the house and heads to the senate

HB1622 passed the house and heads to the senate

HB1062 passed the house and heads to the senate, the emergency clause failed. The emergency would have enacted this legislation prior to Nov 1 so teachers would have been able to take the required training over the summer before school started.

HB1558 passed the house and heads to the senate

Aknazer

So I have a question, if a military ID would work as a HWL under the proposed law, would that mean that you could carry in other states via your military ID in other states that have reciprocity with OK?

hrdware

So I have a question, if a military ID would work as a HWL under the proposed law, would that mean that you could carry in other states via your military ID in other states that have reciprocity with OK?

It would depend on the law in other states. My guess is, probably not since your military ID is not a state issued handgun license.

okiebryan

Director, Oklahoma Open Carry Association
Is there a bill anywhere that would allow handgun licensees to leave their firearm in the car while parked at a public school? I thought there was, but I can't find it. Might be something to try to add via committee sub?

hrdware

Is there a bill anywhere that would allow handgun licensees to leave their firearm in the car while parked at a public school? I thought there was, but I can't find it. Might be something to try to add via committee sub?

Those bills apparently never made it out of committee. I'm disappointed. Maybe now that the task force has released it's findings it will find its way back in through a committee or floor amendment.