• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

To Limit Federal Agencies’ Ammunition Purchases

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Republican Senator Jim Inhofe (OK) and Rep. Frank Lucas (OK) have introduced a bill, Ammunition Management for More Obtainability (AMMO) Act of 2013, in their respective chambers, that would prohibit every federal agency, except the military, from purchasing more ammunition each month, than the monthly average it purchased from 2001 to 2009. This comes as questions surround the large number of solicitations by federal agencies for ammunition and weapons purchases and the apparent stockpiling of ammunition by the Department of Homeland Security.

Read more: http://freedomoutpost.com/2013/04/b...-may-be-limited-under-new-bill/#ixzz2Rvrf3N6h

Tell your Senator and Representative to get on board with this! Spread the word far and wide.

Last edited:

eye95

I doubt it will pass. The benefit, though, is that it is bringing the government hoarding of ammo into the mainstream media and public discussion. Right now, the mainstream media is ignoring this story and public discussions are limited to folks like us who watch this stuff.

I have to wonder how effective the government's actions are. I, like many others, have more ammo (and more guns) than ever before. This stuff may not be on the shelves, but it is in the hands of the People!

beebobby

All this hoarding is infringing on my right to fill up my 30 round mags (I don't care who is doing it).

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
--snip--The benefit...is that it is bringing the government hoarding of ammo into the mainstream media and public discussion. Right now, the mainstream media is ignoring this story and public discussions are limited to folks like us who watch this stuff.
All this hoarding is infringing on my right to fill up my 30 round mags (I don't care who is doing it).
Of course the goal is the renewed normal availability of ammunition to the legal, general population. To do that we must shine a very bright light on the causes and reasons for this contrived shortage. Manufacturers are producing ammo at record levels, yet an insufficient amount reaches the open market.

Identifying the who and why of this from the top down is a beginning to achieving parity. Correcting flow, the law of supply and demand will work to stabilize the market value/price of this commodity.

Meanwhile, some people can't pay too much as there isn't any realistic amount of ammo to be had.....at any price.

Let's fix this. Let's get it done!

PFC HALE

im offended at the word hoarder. my 14,000 rds of ammo isnt hoarding... its not enough :)

lol (sarc)

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Anybody have any thoughts/reaction on topic rather than how much ammunition you have or claim to have?

palerider116

I believe federal government law enforcement agencies should be capped to a year's worth of ammo for training and duty loads. Having so much ammo on hand for domestic use is the equivalent of the founders' concerns of a standing army, in my opinion.

Why a year? I say a year because it should be a fiscal budget item and purchased or ordered on that interval. The Feds would be hard pressed to show an argument that would justify more than that. Even if a SHTF moment would not expend a year's worth of ammo unless we are invaded by another country. Such an occasion would be handled militarily and not by gold badges that say "special agent."

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
A law (even if it had a chance of passing) is not the solution to the problem.

OC for ME

^^^THIS^^^

How about a private sector solution; ammo manufacturers do not sell to the fedgov more than a years worth of ammo. Congress critters could reduce the DHS's budget by the amount they have spent on ammo in next years budget. Better yet, defund the DHS.

beebobby

What with the US having the most expensive, powerful standing miltary force in the history of the world, the concerns of the founding fathers on that concept are moot. We aren't going to turn that back. This whole ammo shortage is frustrating to several of my friends who want to take the CCW class, but can't find the ammo to take it. Even .22lr.

Last edited:

georg jetson

A law (even if it had a chance of passing) is not the solution to the problem.

Yes it is, though the law mentioned in the OP would be just a start. After passing an Ammunition Management bill, we should move to begin passing a Federal Government Management bill. That would set a schedule for the ultimate dismantling of the DHS, the BATF etc. If the agencies are shrunken and then eliminated, there will be no budget to buy ammo.

mpguy

^^^THIS^^^

How about a private sector solution; ammo manufacturers do not sell to the fedgov more than a years worth of ammo. Congress critters could reduce the DHS's budget by the amount they have spent on ammo in next years budget. Better yet, defund the DHS.

Dhs is the biggest waste of money and man power. If people want to do bad things to others, dhs isn't going to stop them.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

beebobby

I'm wondereing about the shortage of .22lr. Does anyone know whether or not the feds are buying up the .22s or is the shortage due to private sector hoarding?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I'm wondereing about the shortage of .22lr. Does anyone know whether or not the feds are buying up the .22s or is the shortage due to private sector hoarding?

Goggle "why shortage of .22 ammo" and read to your heart's content.

eye95

The same brass is used to make .22 ammo as to make larger ammo.

The same lead is used to make .22 ammo as to make larger ammo.

The same powder is used to make .22 ammo as to make larger ammo.

The same manpower is used to make .22 ammo as to make larger ammo.

The same facilities are used to make .22 ammo as to make larger ammo.

When the resources get scarce, which ammo do you think they will use the fewest limited resources on? I'd say .22 (which we sell for 4 to 7 cents a round). They will produce the larger rounds that have a higher profit margin. Resources are limited for two main factors (both the result of government actions). One, the threat to pass anti-gun legislation after Sandy Hook prompted gun owners to stockpile firearms and ammo. Two, DHS's huge ammo buy also increased demand. Demand way outstripped supply, which ironically caused further concern in the market, prompting more stockpiling.

For example, I now have more ammo than I have ever had in my life, yet I will buy more when I get the chance because I don't know if it will be available when I need it.

Things should shake out pretty soon. Gun demand has already dropped to pre-Sandy Hook levels. Ammo demand still remains high due to lack of availability. Once supply catches up with demand, a glut will actually develop as folks shoot through a lot of their stockpile without replacing all of it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

<o>