• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Back from Vegas trip

28kfps

I am reprogramming myself to see patriotically correct whenever I read or hear "PC". Such turns a negative connotation into one more fitting and effectively reverses the table on the we-must-be-PC crowd.

Somehow it does not seem right to disparage those less fortunate than ourselves. Homeless people are homeless because they have no house, no shelter in the traditional sense, and have reached that condition through unfortunate circumstances not entirely of their own free will. That they may bring additional baggage with them is not questioned.

What I do question is the cute colloquialisms referring to them as "free range people" or "urban outdoorsmen". Being homeless is a result of other conditions. It is not a term fitting of our derision. We tell something of ourselves when we express ourselves thus. Homeless individuals are neither a threat to our safety nor well being on the basis of simply being homeless.

Chief: Cost in resources shows arrests not a solution
By CLIF LeBLANC — cleblanc@thestate.com
Homeless people committed 500 crimes in Columbia, SC during the first half of the year, the Police Department reported Tuesday.
In response to calls from some neighborhoods for more arrests, Chief Randy Scott issued a report that begins to estimate how much in police resources is consumed right now in dealing with the homeless population.
“In my two years as police chief, this is the one single issue that divides Columbia,” Scott said of homelessness. Both neighborhoods and Main Street businesspeople want to keep homeless people out, he said. “People look at police as the solution … . The core business issue of police is not social services.”
Of the 500 offenses – a number Scott called “staggering” – 330 homeless men or women went to the Richland County jail, at a cost of $34,800 from January through June. The rest were issued tickets.

Read more here: http://www.thestate.com/2012/07/25/2367164/columbia-police-homeless-commited.html#storylink=cpy

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
- -snip- -

Somehow it does not seem right to disparage those less fortunate than ourselves. Homeless people are homeless because they have no house, no shelter in the traditional sense, and have reached that condition through unfortunate circumstances not entirely of their own free will. That they may bring additional baggage with them is not questioned.

What I do question is the cute colloquialisms referring to them as "free range people" or "urban outdoorsmen". Being homeless is a result of other conditions. It is not a term fitting of our derision. We tell something of ourselves when we express ourselves thus. Homeless individuals are neither a threat to our safety nor well being on the basis of simply being homeless.
Chief: Cost in resources shows arrests not a solution
By CLIF LeBLANC — cleblanc@thestate.com
Homeless people committed 500 crimes in Columbia, SC during the first half of the year, the Police Department reported Tuesday.
In response to calls from some neighborhoods for more arrests, Chief Randy Scott issued a report that begins to estimate how much in police resources is consumed right now in dealing with the homeless population.
“In my two years as police chief, this is the one single issue that divides Columbia,” Scott said of homelessness. Both neighborhoods and Main Street businesspeople want to keep homeless people out, he said. “People look at police as the solution … . The core business issue of police is not social services.”
Of the 500 offenses – a number Scott called “staggering” – 330 homeless men or women went to the Richland County jail, at a cost of $34,800 from January through June. The rest were issued tickets.

Read more here: http://www.thestate.com/2012/07/25/2367164/columbia-police-homeless-commited.html#storylink=cpy
That was hardly the point - never said that there are not problems associated with the condition/people. My comments were directed at the apparent cavalier attitude that reflects negatively on us.

I've personally known a number of good "homeless" people - one such stopped an armed robbery/shooting with his own black powder revolver. OTOH - put another on the blacktop in defense of person. Didn't describe either except as "good guy" or BG.

Lasjayhawk

Grape, You got to understand Las Vegas. We have a LOT of "professional" "homeless" people. After you've seen the same person begging for bus fare back to LA for 6 months at the same corner, you become jaded. When you see another with his "will work for food" sign fold up shop for the day, walk one block and get into a brand new Caddy and drive off, well you start to not give a shoot.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Grape, You got to understand Las Vegas. We have a LOT of "professional" "homeless" people. After you've seen the same person begging for bus fare back to LA for 6 months at the same corner, you become jaded. When you see another with his "will work for food" sign fold up shop for the day, walk one block and get into a brand new Caddy and drive off, well you start to not give a shoot.

I understand where that comes from completely - I really do.