• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Charlottesville's 'Knockout' beating - CPD not helpful?

Repeater

Anybody know anything about this:

Knockout: Victims of brutal Downtown Mall assault want arrests, and answers from police

Are the CPD really uncaring, incompetent, overworked ... what?

I'm struck by this comment, though, from a victim:
I was attacked years ago by three men fitting phyisical description and behavior -- laughing and carrying on like a game. i had no one to protect but myself so i was able to stay down and take the fun out of it for them. i sustained some injuries but not as bad as Marc's. i managed to use my voice when i gained consciousness and yelled out when i realized i was getting beaten. ...

For those advocating guns - i do not believe carrying a is a solution...first of all my defenses were down and i never saw the knock out punch coming so a gun wouldve been useless. Secondly, for many reasons i'd rather take a beating than possibly kill someone or vainly try to deliver wounds to all three and get shot myself, or at the very least, encourage them and the rest of society to carry.

So, he would rather be beaten to unconsciousness than defend himself with a gun. Not only that, but his "defenses were down" so he wasn't paying attention? What qualifies him to give advice?

SAvage410

Maybe he wants validation of his chosen helplessness? I dunno. Even if he didn't see it coming, perhaps his companion could have used it for her protection?

Last edited:

F350

first of all my defenses were down and i never saw the knock out punch coming so a gun wouldve been useless.

So he's a stupid oblivious sheep walking around in condition white; therefore I would not see it coming and be defenseless as well. My usual SA condition is a magenta.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Take chill pill, folks, and after getting your breath back stop and reconsider a few things.

Yes, the vast majority of victims were not paying attention to any of the signs that would have warned them that something Bad was about to happen. But even someone in "Condition High Orange" (sometimes referred to as DefCon 3.5) can be coldcocked by a blow "out of the blue". As a matter of fact, I suggest that the higher your level of alertness the easier it can be to blindside you - all just by forcing you to pay attention in one direction and launching the attack from another.

Stop and consider how easily you get into tunnel vision when you are confronted with the threat of a threat. Also stop and consider how often you do not move to a place where you have an improved defensive position, as opposed to "keeping an eye on" the potential threat while generally continuing on your way.

stay safe.

wrearick

Take chill pill, folks, and after getting your breath back stop and reconsider a few things.

Yes, the vast majority of victims were not paying attention to any of the signs that would have warned them that something Bad was about to happen. But even someone in "Condition High Orange" (sometimes referred to as DefCon 3.5) can be coldcocked by a blow "out of the blue". As a matter of fact, I suggest that the higher your level of alertness the easier it can be to blindside you - all just by forcing you to pay attention in one direction and launching the attack from another.

Stop and consider how easily you get into tunnel vision when you are confronted with the threat of a threat. Also stop and consider how often you do not move to a place where you have an improved defensive position, as opposed to "keeping an eye on" the potential threat while generally continuing on your way.

stay safe.

I agree. I have seen videos capturing several of these "Attacks" and they are launched suddenly and brutally with little or no advance warning, often after the group has passed you. Unless you can move through life and force a 15 foot buffer zone around you in all directions at all times some of these attacks can be very hard to prevent. By all means try but try not to rake those not as talented over the coals too bad if they get hit out of the blue.

Repeater

Comments shut down (hateful) -- CPD Chief orders internal investigation

New Developments:

Charlottesville Newspaper Shuts Down Comments on Knockout Game Report for 'Hateful Nature'
"Please do not use this comment stream as a forum for social diatribes, for racist ranging, or for expressing anger. We will delete you."

Um, is that a threat?

Charlottesville police chief orders internal review in mall attack case
Charlottesville police are conducting an internal audit of what they described as a “breakdown” in their response to a beating on the Downtown Mall, the department said Monday.

Police Chief Timothy J. Longo reviewed a report on the case Monday morning and immediately assigned detectives to investigate the attack, police said.

half_life1052

I for one look forward to all of the people playing this game being charged under the federal hate crimes statutes. In my opinion it is charge one, charge all.

JoeSparky

Centurion
I for one look forward to all of the people playing this game being charged under the federal hate crimes statutes. In my opinion it is charge one, charge all.

Charge them with the Acts of ASSAULT or other crimes they have committed at a STATE or MUNICIPAL level. This area of law is an area the FEDS have absolutely no business in. Also, I don't support "thought crime" statutes for how can one prove what another is thinking?

Last edited:

half_life1052

Charge them with the Acts of ASSAULT or other crimes they have committed at a STATE or MUNICIPAL level. This area of law is an area the FEDS have absolutely no business in. Also, I don't support "thought crime" statutes for how can one prove what another is thinking?

No arguments from here,Joe. My comments were sarcastic.

TFred

Last edited: