• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Well...did anyone vote today?

Midwest

Well...did anyone vote today?

When I got there, I was the only one at the Polling Place. As I was leaving, I saw two other people. This was a little after 3:00 pm.

Brian D.

My home is across the river in Ohio so obviously I couldn't vote in Kentucky's election yesterday. However, I did commemmorate the end of your state's Election Day 'blue law' by having an adult beverage (bourbon, of course) in a bar while the polls were still open! Found a out from a friend later that the place he went for lunch--a nationwide chicken wing joint--had NO idea that the law had been changed, and was refusing to serve alcohol during the day.

self preservation

Not OC related, but is it only restaurants that can serve alcohol on Election Day or can you buy it from a store and take it home on Election Day?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brian D.

Not OC related, but is it only restaurants that can serve alcohol on Election Day or can you buy it from a store and take it home on Election Day?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Best of my knowledge when Kentucky killed the Election Day blue law they got rid of it completely. You should now be able to get your favorite potables at the gas station, party store, etc. It was especially silly (to those who live in "wet" counties anyhow) that with the law in place, the beer truck drivers weren't allowed to make deliveries on Election Day, because they were "selling" alcohol--to the stores, bars, etc. So they got a day off twice a year, sometimes unpaid depending on their employer.

Another aspect of this that was silly is that for years it was the state legislators representing totally "dry" counties who worked the hardest against ending the Election Day prohibition. Why would THEY care about those two days when in theory the areas they represented wouldn't be affected to begin with?? The dry counties sure never refused the revenues generated by alcohol sales in wet counties either, did they?

It was also ludicrous to imagine that buying people drinks in bars was still, to this day, a major way in which elections are rigged. or example from what I've read about southeast Kentucky, politically-connected doctors writing oxycontin and vicotin scrips to help their party's candidates get more votes was the new method...

Hey Ky. I love ya, you're way ahead of us in Ohio with regards to gun rights. I just needed to bust your chops a bit about the whole booze topic.

Midwest

The "No Booze" law still exists in Lexington and Richmond despite the State repealing the law.

No alcohol sales in Lexington on primary election day

http://www.kentucky.com/2014/05/14/3242891/no-alcohol-sales-in-lexington.html

",,,To make the change the local governing body — in Lexington, the Urban County Council — must repeal the ordinance banning sales, the release said."

State law repealed, but still no election-day alcohol sales in Richmond
http://www.richmondregister.com/loc...ill-no-election-day-alcohol-sales-in-Richmond

I believe South Carolina might be the only state that still has the law in effect.