• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

State Senate bans openly carried guns in public gallery

44Brent

http://seattletimes.com/html/politics/2025484678_apxxgrpublicgalleryguns.html

The recent ban on open carry in the Senate chambers presents an opportunity. Did it seem a little strange that the WSP does not seem applauding this rule change? Imagine the following scenario.

1) Conceal your handguns inside of a backpack. Alternately, openly carry a handgun.
2) Enter the gallery and follow the procedure for turning over the backpack to the WSP (I don't know how the procedure works as I have not attempted to carry a backpack into the gallery).
3) Inform the WSP that there is a handgun(s) inside the backpack and insist that they give you a written receipt for the handgun(s) to document the transfer.
4) On the way back out attempt to retrieve the backpack and handgun(s).
5) Document the experience and inform the SAF as to exactly how the WSP handles the situation. (Do they skip the process of performing a background check?)

In fact, I'm going to write a letter to the Lieutenant Governor and the WSP asking them to provide a copy of their procedural document for managing transfers while people enter and exit the chambers.

2025481632.jpg

http://seattletimes.com/html/politics/2025484678_apxxgrpublicgalleryguns.html

Lt. Gov. Brad Owen announced Friday that the public will no longer be able to openly carry firearms in the state Senate chamber's public viewing area.

By RACHEL LA CORTE

Last edited:

44Brent

I have to wonder if the people that did the OC demonstration weren't planning to purposefully put the WSP in a box on this?

Last edited:

SovereigntyOrDeath

I have to wonder if the people that did the OC demonstration weren't planning to purposefully put the WSP in a box on this?

They were just idiots misbehaving. From a witness who was there:

"They started becoming more disruptive during Paige Biron’s speech. I just ignored it, that is until we heard the familiar sound of charging handles and bolts. I was mortified when I looked back to see loaded magazines being pulled and inserted and charging handles struck. This happened about midway through Joe Huffman’s speech. Who they kept trying to talk over as well. Joe did a fantastic job refusing to engage the misbehaving and distracting children in the back." Barron Barnett

The Truth

"They started becoming more disruptive during Paige Biron’s speech. I just ignored it, that is until we heard the familiar sound of charging handles and bolts. I was mortified when I looked back to see loaded magazines being pulled and inserted and charging handles struck. This happened about midway through Joe Huffman’s speech. Who they kept trying to talk over as well. Joe did a fantastic job refusing to engage the misbehaving and distracting children in the back." Barron Barnett

I've done zero research on this but if this is true, what a bunch of morons.

Primus

Wtf.......?

This really happened?

twoskinsonemanns

Sounds like some folks well fed up with the ******** political regime. I salute them.

Dave Workman

davidmcbeth

Banned

There are likely rules about disruptive behavior that have the effect of law already. So if they are being disruptive, they already had the tools to address this issue.

Again, blame the politicians.

Mr45ACP

There is a right way and a wrong way to go about supporting ones cause. This was not well thought out by those who did this. They may have seriously harmed support for the cause.

44Brent

There is a right way and a wrong way to go about supporting ones cause. This was not well thought out by those who did this. They may have seriously harmed support for the cause.

When I first posted this article I originally referred to the guys in the photograph as "idiots". Then I thought about it for a bit and realized this incident opened the door to forcing the WSP to get into the "prop transfer" business, and to quit waffling on what I-594 means with respect to transfers of political "props" aka firearms. Instead of focusing on the idiocy of these guys, it's best to grab the opportunity which has now presented itself.

The guys in the picture may be idiots, but the people running the State Senate are even bigger idiots, as they are going to end up handing evidence to SAF on a silver platter that can be presented in court.

Last edited:

twoskinsonemanns

Leading to this question:

Unfolding debate: Do rifle-toting activists help or hurt 2A effort?

In the wake of Friday’s announcement that the Washington State Senate will no longer allow open carry of firearms in its gallery, a debate has erupted in the firearms community as to whether long gun open carry demonstrations advance or hurt the Second Amendment cause.

http://www.examiner.com/article/unfolding-debate-do-rifle-toting-activists-help-or-hurt-2a-effort

yes they hurt the 2A cause just like being a Jew hurt the individual freedoms cause in nazi germany.
I'd rather see these guys out there ruffling feathers than the countless ***** gun owners sitting at home doing nothing.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Leading to this question:

Unfolding debate: Do rifle-toting activists help or hurt 2A effort?

In the wake of Friday’s announcement that the Washington State Senate will no longer allow open carry of firearms in its gallery, a debate has erupted in the firearms community as to whether long gun open carry demonstrations advance or hurt the Second Amendment cause.

http://www.examiner.com/article/unfolding-debate-do-rifle-toting-activists-help-or-hurt-2a-effort

A right is a right, yes? No one can "hurt" it. A debate in the firearms community should focus on the willingness of politicians to oppress a right, nothing more.

I've had this debate a zillion times with self professed "pro-2nd" folks....most folks simply don't understand; they say its a right but then are more than willing to support the oppression of the right that they supposedly support.
They are more than willing to give up their freedoms for nothing.

Alpine

Owen claims leadership from both caucuses were OK with this, I think we need to contact the GOP leaders and find out if that's true. Brandishing is one thing, OCing in a holstered/slung position should be another. I cannot believe the GOP leadership would ban it all...

sudden valley gunner

Owen claims leadership from both caucuses were OK with this, I think we need to contact the GOP leaders and find out if that's true. Brandishing is one thing, OCing in a holstered/slung position should be another. I cannot believe the GOP leadership would ban it all...

Its a GOP majority now isn't it? Why wouldn't you believe it? They are not that interested in your rights.

triehl27

Where it belongs

You know I got out of OCDO, when it started changing direction a few years back. But, back then, alot of the discussion was how to properly do OC, how to present OC in a Professional, Calm manner. We did the Oak Harbor visit, rifle slung ON BACK, pistols remained in holsters. Gatherings in parks and at Willow lake, I don't think any brandished a gun and there were some cool ones in holsters. NO ONE GRIPPED, NO ONE DREW, NO ONE HANDLED. Meet organizers were clear and concise. NEVER IN ANY OF THE MEETS OR PROTESTS I ATTENDED FOR 3 YEARS, WOULD FIREARMS HAVE BEEN HANDLED IN THE MANNER DISPLAYED AT THE CAPITAL. When there was a Problem such as Starbucks, WE oc'rs took the responsibility, we pushed Starbucks, they pushed back, and showed us the door.

Then we had the Starbucks Photo. After that it just seemed to me to become a fight just to fight against the "antis" "lets embarrass the police", "lets cause OC incidents".

The law is in place and instead of wanting the change it or organize to change it, OC'rs BLATANTLY DEFIED IT. And now as I read the posts here, there is so much name calling and angle adjusting and spin doctoring, the story "I saw this", "I never saw that", "*THOSE* people need to adjust how they view us ". Instead of just saying "Hey we screwed this one bad, the cause is set back A HELL OF A LOT" and that's the truth.

Those at the capital that wanted to show defiance, you did. What did you get? BANNED! In a time sensitive to firearms,(T.S. accept that threw the use of firearms by criminals the firearm culture has taken a HUGE hit in recent years) when firearm crimes leads the headlines, the capital group looked like vigilantes. They looked like a militia. THEY LOOKED FRIGHTENING TO THE PUBLIC (the people who's mind's you want to change). Right or wrong, the crowd at the capital, looked embarrassing to the OC cause, they were proclaiming for. They looked like what every ANTI wants the voter to see, Scary, Careless, Reckless gun nuts. The DAMAGE is done. Take responsibility for it. I'm sick of the excuses, I would like to see some return to the old ways, and patterns for the OC cause.

You can hate me for writing this, you can disagree with it, but this has been the topic of discussion among every firearm person I know in recent days. This is coming from an OC'r. Retired member of this site, who was there at Willow Lake, there on King 5, there in the trenches for 3 years. An OC'r that watched the media coverage both back then, and now and has read the threads here once again. Watch the media coverage from back then on how we were portrayed, then watch the coverage about the capital display and how gun owners are displayed today.

Remember, it is the sheeple that vote, scare the sheep, and you see the way they go.

TR