• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

List your AB&E OC experiences here

kyleplusitunes

I'd like to see ABE OC experiences posted here just
for sake of not having to trudge through 300 pages of OC experiences to read about the people who were able to attend the event. by all means post them in the sticky too, but this should be like a quick find for the specific event.

I wish I could go, however I am in Harrisburg PA at the moment. ;(

Radioman

Well I didn't actually enter the event but I was outside the event tonight off the 6th and Main St entrance to listen to the Clint Black concert. But I didn't even stay for that once I heard the following comment made by 99.5 WYCD On-Air personality Dr. Don Carpenter during the intro....

So does everybody have their guns on, what a joke that turned out to be

.... Well that just ruined my night. Left before the concert even started. To think someone that claims to support the troops and the American way of life making fun of a group of upstanding citizens doing something so American as making sure the Government follows the laws that they make and expect us to follow. I just am totally and utterly disgusted at hearing that so UN-American statement.

To those of you that stood up and attended the meetings a very big thank you.

Master Control

Oc @ ab&e

OC'd yesterday thru Last night 09/05/2010(sunday) at AB&E's enjoyed the concert at Mi Lottery stage, I took a couple photos of my +1 w/Alexander Zonjic (still daylight) nobody seem to even notice my sidearm or care. Later that evening after the sun went down I did get one stinkeye from a RO LEO while "WAR" was on stage in the VIP area but uneventful, after the concert had a brief run-in with Jonathan W.(non OC related) we resloved the issue and parted as gentlemen with no ill will over the conflict.
At the "Macy Gray" Birthday afterglow event I took a few more photos of my +1 w/ Macy Gray then walked over to acknowledge the Chief & exchanged greetings also a handshake , had a laugh or two, then we parted ways, He was as always (in my experience) the consummate professional.

All-n-all nobody really gave my sidearm any attension. The entire day & nite was uneventful.

Master Control

Arts, beats & eats statements

Well I didn't actually enter the event but I was outside the event tonight off the 6th and Main St entrance to listen to the Clint Black concert. But I didn't even stay for that once I heard the following comment made by 99.5 WYCD On-Air personality Dr. Don Carpenter during the intro....

.... Well that just ruined my night. Left before the concert even started. To think someone that claims to support the troops and the American way of life making fun of a group of upstanding citizens doing something so American as making sure the Government follows the laws that they make and expect us to follow. I just am totally and utterly disgusted at hearing that so UN-American statement.

To those of you that stood up and attended the meetings a very big thank you.

Sunday, September 5th about 8:15 :
Before WAR took the stage Jonathan W. approaches the mic and thanked everyone for attending AB&E, and informed the crowd that AB&E has been a safe event all weekend, & that he had NOT seen one Gun all weekend.
It appeared that his statement kinda of amused at least 30 people in the VIP seating area as I had been there w/sidearm plainly visible since 4:45pm

TheQ

Before WAR took the stage Jonathan W. approaches the mic and thanked everyone for attending AB&E, and informed the crowd that AB&E has been a safe event all weekend, & that he had NOT seen one Gun all weekend.
It appeared that his statement kinda of amused at least 30 people in the VIP seating area as I had been there w/sidearm plainly visible since 4:45pm

Sometimes we see what we want to see...

scot623

Looks like Mr. Witz needs to open a Free Press more often. An article about two OCers walking around AB&E was featured on Saturday. The anti's are making so much more about this than necessary. Why would he even bring it up while addressing the crowd? Seems silly to bring attention to something you wanted to hide from. I'd like to thank all OCers who attended the event and held themselves in high regard and represented all OCers in a great light. Thank you.

Haman J.T.

Thank You for being there to represent me too! I'll do the same for you in court one day,soon I hope!

Small Arms Collector

Well I went Saturday, and it was completely uneventful. I parked about a mile north on North Washington Avenue in front of the American House, and walked in to avoid paying witz's parking fee. The place was completely clogged with people, I mean Shoulder to shoulder, the streets were completely impassable, and the side walks were barely possible, I felt like I was walking through the streets of Bangkok, or something it was so ridiculously over crowded, actually I think Bangkok would likely be an improvement. God help you if you were in there, and had to get out in a hurry, or the crowd panicked. I went to prove a point, educate, and show solidarity with the people screwed by the liqueur license, I don't know why anyone else would come to a disorganized over crowded mess like that, even if you wanted to buy something, or do something it was to crowded to do it, there were places that it literally took 1 minute to move 1 foot, it was insane.

Of all the thousands of people there I don't think hardly anyone even noticed that I was carrying, I got no comments, no questions, nothing, I might have gotten a couple of glances, but I'm not sure, it really speaks volumes for the lack of situational awareness for most people.

I did run in to the media though, kind of, channel 4 to be specific, the van was there, and the reporter was getting ready to go live with the weather report I think, at least that's what I heard him saying to the camera man, I couldn't squeeze through the crowd so I had to stand there a minute, and as I was one of the "event staff" must have noticed that I was carrying, because he rushed over to the reporter, and pointed me out, but I heard the reporter tell him that he didn't want to cover "the gun thing", and they waited to start filming until I moved out of the shot, I was tempted to turn around, and deliberately get back in the shot, but I didn't.

Open Carry Alcohol was of course everywhere, as were beer stands, and lots, and lots of minors. The air smelt of nothing but sweat, burnt barbecue "stuff", and booze, with just a hint of cigarettes thrown in for good measure.

Here's the Video:

Please excuse the terrible camera work in parts 1, and 2.

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

Part 4

Part 5

Part 6

Part 7

Part 8

One humorous anecdote though, apparently my camcorder must look like a Flashbang, because after I left, and was walking back to my car I was waiting for a crossing signal, and a group of teenagers standing behind me apparently noticed me carrying, and were talking amongst themselves, and apparently I had a Taser (actually a Glock 22) Spare Magazines (true, I had 4, and I was pleased that they said mags, and not clips), and a Flashbang, which I assume must have been my Camcorder.

Last edited:

NHCGRPR45

well i don't remember any heat on my side but it was a warm day.........:p

me (shaun Mcelroy) and scott had a great time at ABE some people noticed most didn't, and i had a lady and her mortified husband comment on my aparrent intelligence. her childs balloon tapped me on the arm and when i turned to look she stated, "don't shoot,,,,, f****i*ng idiot":cuss: there was a slight pause between don't shoot and the referance to my brain power. i thanked her and walked away while the news paper guy interviewed her. then she referenced both scotts and my anus opening and concluded the interview. her husband appeared less than pleased with the whole encounter.

i was not offended, and rather amused by the whole situation. we were not bothered in the least by anyone, and law enforcement was very present and i felt very safe from the food vendors.
yes...........take it away dancing monkey

Michigander

I went, not OCing because I was with some anti gun relatives. I certainly didn't care for the event at all, but they wanted to go. Too much of a celebration of capitalism and all that is greed for me to enjoy it.

99.5, like most radio stations in the Detroit area is in my opinion a low quality station because of a limited, and often crappy selection of music, but in spite of any good songs they may play, it will always be repetitive. It is utterly disgusting to go to other parts of the country, or even just other parts of this state and see and hear how much better radio can be, and usually is.

Last edited:

Small Arms Collector

I went, not OCing because I was with some anti gun relatives. I certainly didn't care for the event at all, but they wanted to go. Too much of a celebration of capitalism and all that is greed for me to enjoy it.

99.5, like most radio stations in the Detroit area is in my opinion a low quality station because of a limited, and often crappy selection of music, but in spite of any good songs they may play, it will always be repetitive. It is utterly disgusting to go to other parts of the country, or even just other parts of this state and see and hear how much better radio can be, and usually is.

Capitalism as opposed to.....?

DanM

I went, not OCing because I was with some anti gun relatives.

If that ever happens to me, I'm sure I will find or make up things I don't like (and the more inconvenient, the better) and ask them, as a matter of reciprocity, to also leave at home:

Cigarettes--I don't like the smell or the second-hand smoke health effects.
Cell phones--I don't like the annoying sound and distraction when I'm with people.
Make-up and hairspray--I'm allergic to many, clogging up my nasal passages and giving me headaches.
Etc.
Etc.
Etc.

I would be sure to be known around my family as being VERY ANNOYINGLY PARTICULAR if anyone initiates a discussion about what to leave at home for family outings! :D

dougwg

MOC Charter Member Westland, Michigan, USA
If that ever happens to me, I'm sure I will find or make up things I don't like (and the more inconvenient, the better) and ask them, as a matter of reciprocity, to also leave at home:

Cell phones--I don't like the annoying sound and distraction when I'm with people.
Make-up and hairspray--I'm allergic to many, clogging up my nasal passages and giving me headaches.
Etc.
Etc.
Etc.

I would be sure to be known around my family as being VERY ANNOYINGLY PARTICULAR if anyone initiates a discussion about what to leave at home for family outings! :D
Excellent tool.

TheQ

Etc.
Etc.
Etc.

+1

Michigander

Capitalism as opposed to.....?

A good comparison would be the dream cruise, which is more or less a celebration of old cars, arguably an art form. There is little to no pressure to spend any money on anything, and it is an excellent living history display of US land yachts with car owners eager to talk to you about their cars.

ABE was more like a colossal money grab. Not my thing, especially considering that I don't drink, and if I want art I can go to the DIA.

cmdr_iceman71

Below is a reprint from the list your OC experiences thread when I went on Saturday.

OCed this afternoon taking the SMART bus to and from the Arts Beats & Eats in Royal Oak to minimize the parking cost. Also OCed at a BP in Ferndale and CVS in Detroit.

Had one guy come up to me and asking if I was a LEO. I replied "No." He then asked did he "have to open carry?" I believe he was CCing and was worried he was breaking the law. I explained that he didn’t have to given that the primary source of revenue was parking sales and not alcohol. He thanked me and waded into the crowd.

As I was leaning against a storefront wall eating my Italian sausage, another man noticed I was OCing congratulated me and shook my hand, then when he saw that I had my (sic) "clips" he got really animated and began pointing it out to his friends and everyone within earshot.

Finally as I shuffled through the shoulder to shoulder crowd I overheard a few people who noticed me carrying and began talking about "that open carry law" lol but still no one asked me more information about OCing. As I was departing and crossing the street, I walked right past a police sergeant he gave me a quiet nod of acknowledgement and that was it. All in all there were no problems, no issues

Bailenforcer

Yep, yep and yep I agree. I am one of those who used to smoke so smoking bothers me a lot. That's why I included the smoking alternatives in my signature, and watching another person I know die is getting old, as it's happened too many times. Perfumes are also annoying at times.

As far as me being told to leave my gun at home? I have no one that stupid in my friends or family, and one lady friends kid was anti gun a year ago, now he keeps bugging me to take him shooting and keeps wanting to check out the gun dept at stores LOL. His mom still can't believe how much he changed in less than one year. I just won't deal with anyone who wants my rights canceled. As a matter of fact I will go out of my way to make them miserable meaning any business will not only miss my money but I will make sure everyone who gives me a few seconds of time will also know about the attempts to steal the constitutional rights of we the people. And conversely I will make sure to frequent any business who stands out of the way of my rights.

Etc.
Etc.
Etc.

Last edited:

Bailenforcer

Thanks for the videos and I agree must people walk around with their hidden firmly stuck somewhere...

Well I went Saturday, and it was completely uneventful. I parked about a mile north on North Washington Avenue in front of the American House, and walked in to avoid paying witz's parking fee. The place was completely clogged with people, I mean Shoulder to shoulder, the streets were completely impassable, and the side walks were barely possible, I felt like I was walking through the streets of Bangkok, or something it was so ridiculously over crowded, actually I think Bangkok would likely be an improvement. God help you if you were in there, and had to get out in a hurry, or the crowd panicked. I went to prove a point, educate, and show solidarity with the people screwed by the liqueur license, I don't know why anyone else would come to a disorganized over crowded mess like that, even if you wanted to buy something, or do something it was to crowded to do it, there were places that it literally took 1 minute to move 1 foot, it was insane.

Of all the thousands of people there I don't think hardly anyone even noticed that I was carrying, I got no comments, no questions, nothing, I might have gotten a couple of glances, but I'm not sure, it really speaks volumes for the lack of situational awareness for most people.

I did run in to the media though, kind of, channel 4 to be specific, the van was there, and the reporter was getting ready to go live with the weather report I think, at least that's what I heard him saying to the camera man, I couldn't squeeze through the crowd so I had to stand there a minute, and as I was one of the "event staff" must have noticed that I was carrying, because he rushed over to the reporter, and pointed me out, but I heard the reporter tell him that he didn't want to cover "the gun thing", and they waited to start filming until I moved out of the shot, I was tempted to turn around, and deliberately get back in the shot, but I didn't.

Open Carry Alcohol was of course everywhere, as were beer stands, and lots, and lots of minors. The air smelt of nothing but sweat, burnt barbecue "stuff", and booze, with just a hint of cigarettes thrown in for good measure.

Here's the Video:

Please excuse the terrible camera work in parts 1, and 2.

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

Part 4

Part 5

Part 6

Part 7

Part 8

One humorous anecdote though, apparently my camcorder must look like a Flashbang, because after I left, and was walking back to my car I was waiting for a crossing signal, and a group of teenagers standing behind me apparently noticed me carrying, and were talking amongst themselves, and apparently I had a Taser (actually a Glock 22) Spare Magazines (true, I had 4, and I was pleased that they said mags, and not clips), and a Flashbang, which I assume must have been my Camcorder.

Bailenforcer

If 50 of us walked by him, he would have said the same thing, he is dishonest as the day is long and this will never change.