• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Citizens' Arrest

sudden valley gunner

I don't believe in looking for trouble to stick one's nose in but I also believe that turning ones back, when they have the means to make a difference is a moral defect.

I believe the same way and used to judge those who would do nothing pretty harshly. I have changed somewhat in that thinking because I really have no idea what goes through another persons head or what they may have to loose, or what their own moral compass is, many are simply scared away because of legal trouble they may find themselves in for helping.

alienbogey

Before you cite me for parking in that handicap space, stick around until I come back. I have on numerous occasions parked in a handicap spot, with the blue placard hanging from my rear-view mirror, and I have no disability. But when I come back, I am with my mother-in-law with her walker.

Now for those that don't use a turn signal or talk on a cell phone while driving, have at it.

Quoting from memory (with apologies to Jeff Dunham):

Walter: I saw this guy at the mall park in the handicapped spot and when he got out there was nothing wrong with him! Don't you just hate that?

Jeff: Yes.

Walter: So I ran his ass over!

Jeff: You did what?

Walter: Then is mother came limping around from the passenger sight screaming and waving her crutches...

(pause)

Walter: I got her with the door.

Trigger Dr

Be sure you do it using one of these so everyone knows you are legit.

435cwp-set.jpg

Take this and go citizen arrest Ian Birk. See how far you get.

Freedom First

Walter: I saw this guy at the mall park in the handicapped spot and when he got out there was nothing wrong with him! Don't you just hate that?

Walter: Then is mother came limping around from the passenger sight screaming and waving her crutches...

(pause)

Oh thank you for that chuckle before I had to face my first customer... :p

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
"I don't believe in looking for trouble to stick one's nose in but I also believe that turning ones back, when they have the means to make a difference is a moral defect."

If not you, who? There is enough trouble out there that will find you, you do not have to go looking for it.

amlevin

"I don't believe in looking for trouble to stick one's nose in but I also believe that turning ones back, when they have the means to make a difference is a moral defect."

If not you, who? There is enough trouble out there that will find you, you do not have to go looking for it.

For some reason everyone just ignored this woman:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Kitty_Genovese

Apparently this was a sign of things to come. How many today merely turn away when they could at least "make a phone call"?

sudden valley gunner

For some reason everyone just ignored this woman:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Kitty_Genovese

Apparently this was a sign of things to come. How many today merely turn away when they could at least "make a phone call"?

Better double check on that whole situation it didn't go down how it was reported, I think times even had to do a retraction on the article.

http://bps-research-digest.blogspot.com/2007/10/truth-behind-story-of-kitty-genovese.html

A great read is Freakonomics and SuperFreakonomics they take on some pretty good subjects that people feel have been settled. Including the above mentioned murder.

I agree though we have a responsibility, hence why most our country didn't have police forces for a very long time, it was citizen responsibility that kept crime down. Even a visiting person from Great Britain marveled at how well behaved we were and we had no police. I don't look at it as looking for trouble but looking after our fellow human beings.

DevinWKuska

(pause)

LMFAO Thats beautiful!

amlevin

Better double check on that whole situation it didn't go down how it was reported, I think times even had to do a retraction on the article.

http://bps-research-digest.blogspot.com/2007/10/truth-behind-story-of-kitty-genovese.html

A great read is Freakonomics and SuperFreakonomics they take on some pretty good subjects that people feel have been settled. Including the above mentioned murder.

I agree though we have a responsibility, hence why most our country didn't have police forces for a very long time, it was citizen responsibility that kept crime down. Even a visiting person from Great Britain marveled at how well behaved we were and we had no police. I don't look at it as looking for trouble but looking after our fellow human beings.

In actuality, the account was accurate enough that in the end, this incident has been incorporated into almost every psych textbook in this country and the UK.

Another source of info on the "bystander effect" is here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bystander_effect#Notable_examples

An example of the "bystander effect":

In April 2010 Hugo Alfredo Tale-Yax was stabbed to death after coming to the aid of a woman who was being attacked. At least twenty people walked by while he lay dying on a sidewalk in Queens

Unfortunately, this "I don't want to get involved" attitude is growing.

sudden valley gunner

It was wrongly included if you look at the evidence they couldn't even find half a dozen witnesses and they didn't see the murders, they thought it was domestic dispute.

Text books are full of wrongs and myths, history books especially.

From your wikipedia post:

According to an article published in American Psychologist in 2007, the original story of Kitty Genovese's murder was exaggerated by the media. Specifically, there were not 38 eyewitnesses, the police were contacted at least once during the attack, and many of the bystanders who overheard the attack could not actually see the event. The authors of the article suggest that the story continues to be misrepresented in social psychology textbooks because it functions as a parable and serves as a dramatic example for students.[9]

Dubner and Levitt break it down very well in their book, along with debunking car seats?

I agree the apathy and lack of people wanting to get involved is bad, but just like debunking gun myths we should use credible and accurate facts.

A better example would be a teenage girl getting her head kicked in .........:eek:

wolfshead

Oh that made my day! I think I would fall to the ground laughing if I ever saw one of these.

I actually saw a guy at a Tukwila Starbucks with this on his belt. He was open carrying a Glock, 2 mags, a torch and cuffs. I first thought he was acop, but when I went closer I saw the CCW badge. I couldn't beleive my eyes.

TechnoWeenie

I actually saw a guy at a Tukwila Starbucks with this on his belt. He was open carrying a Glock, 2 mags, a torch and cuffs. I first thought he was acop, but when I went closer I saw the CCW badge. I couldn't beleive my eyes.

Boo Boo?

JoeSparky

Centurion
I do however wish we as citizens could have a citation book for everyone we see who doesnt use a turn signal, talks on a cell while driving, and for those who park in a handicap spot with the blue placard and get out and walk just fine.

Sorry to break your "HANDICAP" bubble but there are MANY legitimate impairments that DON'T MAKE THEIR APPEARANCE IN "OBVIOUS" walking problems. I am thinking of Cardiac, Respiratory, and SEVERAL Muscular disorders, JUST OFF THE TOP OF MY HEAD!

Last edited:

amzbrady

Seriously? Someone is stupid enough to wear a fake badge in public while openly carrying?

amzbrady

Sorry to break your "HANDICAP" bubble but there are MANY legitimate impairments that DON'T MAKE THEIR APPEARANCE IN "OBVIOUS" walking problems. I am thinking of Cardiac, Respiratory, and SEVERAL Muscular disorders, JUST OFF THE TOP OF MY HEAD!

Oh, and dont forget the most common one at Wal-Mart. Obesity.

sudden valley gunner

The American Disabilities Act is a joke.

It is nothing but a tool for sue happy people to file lawsuits and have actually lowered the amount of disabled folks that that are hired, why? Oh because employers are afraid of being sued.

amzbrady

The American Disabilities Act is a joke.

It is nothing but a tool for sue happy people to file lawsuits and have actually lowered the amount of disabled folks that that are hired, why? Oh because employers are afraid of being sued.

Dont forget our wonderful welfare system.

"Give me your tired, your poor, your worthless, and more.
Your huddled masses yearning to live free,
The wretched refuse that can make it to your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, and disease ridden criminals to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden ticket door!"

Last edited:

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
"Give me your tired, your poor, your worthless, and more.
Your huddled masses yearning to live free,
The wretched refuse that can make it to your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, and disease ridden criminals to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden ticket door!"

another gift from the french....