• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Hayward and Ladysmith

theoicarry

Has anyone oc'd in downtown Hayward, in the shops etc, and Lady smith? We have gone there for many years, always carry where we stay without any issues. What about the town and stores?
I figure a soon to be law, I do not need any hassles at this point.

Namchief

I was going to this weekend but it was Musky Fest, I will be going after the 4th to all the stores on main street trying to sell them CC encouraged decals. I can just hear it SO do you sell no guns allowed signs, Yes maam.... Why are they twice as expensive as the encouraged and 1/2 the size. That Maam is because with the encouraged I will be back in your store again spending money and possible selling you other decals. With the No guns this Will be the last time I will be in your store therefore the last time I will have a chance to sell you anything.

Wolf1477

I've OCed a few times when I'm in town (Ladysmith), but, since I'm usually either in my truck or just stopping for a minute it just isn't worth it to me to do the dance every 3 minutes.

I live 10-15 minutes East of Ladysmith (maybe 20 if you run into a tractor<g>) When you come up let me know and we can possibly meet up for lunch at JaeDee's in Glen Flora for lunch (spectacular Philly there)

ccwinstructor

Centurion
Yes, I carried in the Northern Lakes Cooperative just last week

Has anyone oc'd in downtown Hayward, in the shops etc, and Lady smith? We have gone there for many years, always carry where we stay without any issues. What about the town and stores?
I figure a soon to be law, I do not need any hassles at this point.

I am taking care of my mother about 6 miles north of Hayward, but I get into town now and then. I've carried in their a few times. I have never had a hastle.

Wolf1477

Do they even have Police up there to harass somebody? :lol:

LoL yes they do...and they're quite proficient at it from what I'm told. An absolute ton of marked squads and twice as many unmarked judging by how many unmarked squads I see. Thankfully I haven't had a run in with 'em (yet), but, then again I'm only in town when I need to be.

Oh, and speaking of marked squads, if you come through town on Miner Ave, don't freak out when you see the squad car by the tracks, I don't think I've seen that thing move out of the guy's driveway in months...our tax dollars at work.

ccwinstructor

Centurion
Open Carry Encounter at the Hayward Co-op

Do they even have Police up there to harass somebody? :lol:

I found out that they indeed have a police force in Hayward today.

My Sister relieved me from caring for my Mother today, to go to town and get some supplies. I had open carried in the Northern Lakes Co-op several times before, so I decided to do so today.

Ironically, I was talking with on my cell phone with a friend about the SB93 as I drove into town. I was using a bluetooth earpiece for the cell phone, which I have found very convenient and which allows hands free opperation.

I parked at the Co-op, opened the trunk, took my model 36 Smith and Wesson out of the case, loaded it, placed it in a Fobus paddle holster, and entered the store. As I began shopping, I noticed that the signal had fallen off, so I left the store to continue the conversation with my friend. It lasted several more minutes outside the store before we finished and I went back inside.

I had been shopping for five or ten minutes when three Hayward Police officers approached me. The senior officer asked politely if we could speak outside. I asked him if it was about the fact that I was open carrying, and he said that it was.

I agreed to accompany them outside. They did not ask that I disarm. Once outside he asked for ID. I said that I understood that he could ask, but that I did not have to comply. I mentioned the Madison five, and he said that he knew that I had a right to open carry, but that the manager had called them, which gave him the authority to ask for ID.

He asked which pocket my ID was in, and I told them. Then I took out my wallet and handed him my Arizona drivers license. He took the license to check it out and the other two officers stayed with me and chatted.

By this time, I suspected what might have happened. The blue tooth that I wear is not very noticable from a distance. I told the officers that I had the bluetooth on, and that I had been talking on the phone. I asked if this had anything to do with their coming to the store, because from a distance it might have looked like I was talking to my self.

One of the officers volunteered that yes, they had a report of a man acting strangely, and then entering the store with a gun on his hip.

I said that I could understand how people could be concerned. We discussed the officers armament, and I learned that they were given the discresion to select their personal weapons from a list of department approved choices. We made a little more small talk, then the superior officer reappeared and went into the store.

He came out a few minutes later, and said that the store manager had no trouble with me coming back, but that he asked that I leave the gun in my car.

The police left, and I unloaded and replaced the model 36 into the case in the trunk, then went back into the store, finished my shopping, and asked to talk to the manager. He was in a meeting and unavailable.

I had to return to take care of my Mother, so I could not wait around. There are no signs posted on the store. I hope to talk to the manager at a future date.

Reflecting on the incident, it is not hard to see how my actions could have been construed as suspicious. From an outside view, I entered the store, armed, then quickly left and appeared to be talking to myself. After some time, I reenter the store.

I really cannot fault the Hayward police department for their actions. They were polite and doing their job. They never disarmed me or threatened me. I think they had reasonable suspicion to ask for ID.

Wolf1477

I'll go out on a limb and say it sounds like a job well done all around. 'specially since it appears they handled it as a routine call and not "OMG!!1!! MWAG! Get him!"

And now people know why I don't use bluetooth devices...I look crazy enough on my own, I don't need any assistance<g>

Motofixxer

Well it's good they were professional. But I still don't believe there was adequate RAS. What crime was happening? Suspicious behavior is not RAS or a crime. What did they gain from your ID...Sounds like it was absolutely nothing. So why did they need it? I'm not criticizing the response. I may have responded the same way given the circumstances.

Brass Magnet

Founder's Club Member
Well it's good they were professional. But I still don't believe there was adequate RAS. What crime was happening? Suspicious behavior is not RAS or a crime. What did they gain from your ID...Sounds like it was absolutely nothing. So why did they need it? I'm not criticizing the response. I may have responded the same way given the circumstances.

Oh, I think suspicious behaviour in conjunction with a firearm would be RAS as far as the courts are concerned. Of course we can refuse ID anyway, maybe the officer wasn't aware of that. The officer also could have disarmed him pursuant to a Terry stop but didn't. So, I'd say this was actually a pretty darn decent encounter.

Last edited:

ccwinstructor

Centurion
Everyone is on edge about "sudden Jihad Sindrome".

They gained that I wasn't a certified nut case and that I did not have any wants or warrants out on me. If they asked someone to google my name on the Internet they would have found articles about me and that I have written. Privacy is going pretty fast. My name is unusual enought that a google turns up quite a bit of information.