• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Wixom Anti-firearm law?

Greyh Seer

I dug this up earlier today:

http://library1.municode.com/default-test/home.htm?infobase=16705&doc_action=whatsnew

12.12.070 Firearms, weapons, tools.
It is unlawful for any person to bring into or have in his possession in any park or recreation area:
A. Any pistol or revolver or objects upon which loaded or blank cartridges may be used. Official starters, at authorized track and field events, are excepted from this restriction;
B. Any burglar tools;
C. Any rifle, shotgun, BB gun, air gun, spring gun, slingshot, bow, or other weapon in which propelling force is gunpowder, a spring, string, or air.

I've not heard of this being enforced, however...

Last edited:
B

Bikenut

I dug this up earlier today: http://library1.municode.com/default-test/home.htm?infobase=16705&doc_action=whatsnew I've not heard of this being enforced, however...
I am of the opinion that any law... and an ordinance is a law... that is on the books is being passively enforced simply by being officially "on the books". After all, anyone who reads the ordinances and sees the anti gun one has just been officially told that guns are banned according to that ordinance. Hence if an ordinance is on the books just by being on the books it is being passively enforced. And since it is being enforced... even if just passively... it violates MCL 123.1102.

aadvark

Wixom Codified Ordinances 12.12.070(A) and 12.12.070(C) are Illegal and Unenforceable, in Accordance with Michigan Codified Law 123.1102.

However, Wixom can Continue to Enforce 12.12.070(B) of that Ordinance, as it is Consistent with Michigan Codified Law 750.116 of Chapter XVI of Act 328 of 1931.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
I am of the opinion that any law... and an ordinance is a law... that is on the books is being passively enforced simply by being officially "on the books". After all, anyone who reads the ordinances and sees the anti gun one has just been officially told that guns are banned according to that ordinance. Hence if an ordinance is on the books just by being on the books it is being passively enforced. And since it is being enforced... even if just passively... it violates MCL 123.1102.

Active and passive enforcement, both bad. I believe active is worse and more actionable.

RabbiVJ

Campaign Veteran
Wixom Codified Ordinances 12.12.070(A) and 12.12.070(C) are Illegal and Unenforceable, in Accordance with Michigan Codified Law 123.1102.

However, Wixom can Continue to Enforce 12.12.070(B) of that Ordinance, as it is Consistent with Michigan Codified Law 750.116 of Chapter XVI of Act 328 of 1931.

arent you from georgia?

aadvark

RabbiVJ:

Yes I am from Georgia, but I am Visiting Michigan now.

aadvark

*** P.S.: Michigan is a LOVELY State! ***

Last edited: