• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I want a Glock 30. Should I?

MyWifeSaidYes

I haven't had a chance to fire a Glock 30 yet, but I have fired the Glock 36.

The 30 SF seems to fit my hand okay, and I can't complain about 10+1 rounds of .45 ACP.

Anybody have experience with the 30? Good, bad or otherwise?

KYGlockster

Activist Member
I have a glock in every caliber except .45 G.A.P. and .380 of course. I have 2 in .40, and 2 in 10mm, and I love glocks if you can't tell. My point is, the Glock 30 is by far the most accurate. It is more accurate than my glock 34 practical/tactical. And to my surprise, it gets very good velocities with such a short barrel. You can't go wrong with the glock 30. If I were you, I would wait for about a year, maybe less, and get a gen 4 version when it comes out. They should have them all transitioned by the end of the year I would guess, and it would be worth the wait.

Edit: How far is Logan, OH from Ashland, Ky? Ashland is in the northeast corner of Ky, we border OH and WV if you did not know. If you wanted to fire one, and your close enough you could meet me at the local range. But you really can't go wrong with the 30, and everyone that has ever fired one has said the same.

Last edited:

ckobash

I have a glock 30 , for a sub compact the recoil is very managable and accurate , nothinglike having 11 rnds of 45, btw wife shoots it well also:)

rushcreek2

I am also a Glock fan. Have a G 23, and a G 21. I seldom wear the G 21 because it is a pretty husky carry-on. I have been wanting to get something like the G 30 myself. I appreciate the favorable reviews shared above. Now I'm really wanting a G 30. I prefer a low-profile SD accessory because ease of carry is critical for 24/7 operation.

MyWifeSaidYes

I'm having a hard time finding the G30 in stock. I was assuming that dealers were just making space for a Gen4 version. I guess I can wait it out.

swinokur

Activist Member
I have a G30. Excellent pistol. I liked it so much I bought a G29SF. Same frame size. Concealable, accurate, powerful.

The SF models feel less blocky to some folks. I agree.

Everything you need and nothing you don't.

Why wait for a Gen 4?

tcmech

I have a 36, and one of my shooting buddies has a 30. I think both of us would like to have a 30sf, but not enough to trade what we have. Simple answer to the "Should I" question. YES

Brian D.

Ended up liking the Glock 30 well enough to wind up with two of them. They do seem to be, as pointed out above, weirdly accurate. For what it's worth MyWifeSaidYes, I see them for sale down here in SW Ohio on a regular basis, both new and in the "private sale used" markets.

Just fyi I'm the same Brian D. you see on OFCC's forums, let me know if you get down this way and want to try out a G30 before buying.

MyWifeSaidYes

Ended up liking the Glock 30 well enough to wind up with two of them. They do seem to be, as pointed out above, weirdly accurate. For what it's worth MyWifeSaidYes, I see them for sale down here in SW Ohio on a regular basis, both new and in the "private sale used" markets.

Just fyi I'm the same Brian D. you see on OFCC's forums, let me know if you get down this way and want to try out a G30 before buying.

Can you make it to the trial in Waverly on June 8th? If I knew of a range in or near Waverly, I'd say just bring it with you. :D

Michigander

Why wait for a Gen 4?

I agree! You can mod a gen 3 now. :D

I did this project recently. The back strap (shown below after I put a stale coat of paint on it and before I put a fresh coat of paint on it) is made out of oak. I carefully cut the original back strap off, and hand made and hand fit the new oak back strap. It's still not as small as a XD, but it's smaller than a SF model.

I'm planning on making a black delrin back strap for it since the oak one is ugly and not as durable as it could be, but I haven't had time yet.

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m267/Michiganderbiker/Michigandershooter/Glock20chop.jpg

Last edited:

Nascar24Glock

I agree! You can mod a gen 3 now. :D

I did this project recently. The back strap (shown below after I put a stale coat of paint on it and before I put a fresh coat of paint on it) is made out of oak. I carefully cut the original back strap off, and hand made and hand fit the new oak back strap. It's still not as small as a XD, but it's smaller than a SF model.

I'm planning on making a black delrin back strap for it since the oak one is ugly and not as durable as it could be, but I haven't had time yet.

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m267/Michiganderbiker/Michigandershooter/Glock20chop.jpg

There might be a few reasons for the OP to wait for the Gen4. I got my G27 as a Gen4 version because the features on it particularly suited my needs.

1. The Gen4 offers the ability to add or not add backstraps of differing sizes to better fit one's hand size. Due to the fact that I have very small hands, I use no backstraps and take advantage of the slightly smaller grip. So, if the OP has relatively large or small hands, then the OP might want to be able to take advantage of the adjustable grip size.

2. The Gen4 has a magazine release button that is larger than the one on the Gen3 and earlier (which, again, works better with my smaller hands). The OP may also like the fact that it is reversible for a left-handed shooter.

Basically, I'd recommend the OP find a G23 Gen4 or G27 Gen4 somewhere to rent (either from one of you or a gun range with rentable guns) and try it out to see if the OP prefers the Gen4 version.

MyWifeSaidYes

Does anyone know for sure if the G30sf is coming out as a Gen4? And, if so, any idea when?

When I had a few dollars last month, I couldn't find anyone local to me with a G30 of any kind in stock.

Now, my darling wife has spent THAT money and is working on my future earnings, as well. :banghead:

Trying to match up availability of money with availability of gun is proving to be tricky!

Brian D.

Can you make it to the trial in Waverly on June 8th? If I knew of a range in or near Waverly, I'd say just bring it with you. :D

Unfortunately I have to work on that day, really wanting to make the trial. Hopefully there won't be any more delays/continuances but I wouldn't hold my breath, stalling is one of the best tactics the legal system has. As to the Glock 30 keep asking around on these forum boards, somebody near you must have one to try out.

Michigander

Nascar, as I demonstrated, anyone with basic hand tools and an extra 2 hours can custom make interchangable back straps. Also, mag releases can be taken care of via the aftermarket very easily.

The question of course is how interested a potential owner could be in later selling a glock they intend to modify. There is little doubt the one I modified is worth less in resale value now. But in terms of performance, I'd say the value doubled. :D