• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Moving to Traverse City, just wondering what the open carry atmosphere is like?

NMadole

My fiance and I are moving to Traverse City in two weeks. We both received job offers at Munson hospital. Just wondering what the open carry/ 2A atmosphere is like up there?

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
My fiance and I are moving to Traverse City in two weeks. We both received job offers at Munson hospital. Just wondering what the open carry/ 2A atmosphere is like up there?
My home town. Had a large OC and 2nd March picnic at Sun Set Park in 2009. The LEOs all know about OC and you should have no problem. A couple of people here posts in the experience thread and have not had any problems OCing.

I would love to get back up there to live again, maybe when I retire.

Bailenforcer

Welcome.. I been OCing here for years not a word, except hand shakes and positive comments. Police never have said a word except one off duty cop walked up shook my hand and thanked me.

NMadole

Welcome.. I been OCing here for years not a word, except hand shakes and positive comments. Police never have said a word except one off duty cop walked up shook my hand and thanked me.

Very good to know, looking forward to move... although it has seemed nearly impossible to find a house to rent which allow dogs...

Bailenforcer

As a Landlord with 8 homes I understand why. One house I had to put $22,000.00 into it due to dog and cat damage so bad we had to remove all the flooring and sub floors!

another house almost as much for the same issue.

It has gotten really bad with irresponsible renters to the point I am seriously looking at getting out of renting by next year. Each year the renters get worse.

I wish you luck, my homes are near Petoskey in a high rent district and still pets have been a problem.

Very good to know, looking forward to move... although it has seemed nearly impossible to find a house to rent which allow dogs...

Bronson

I am seriously looking at getting out of renting by next year.

O.T. but a friend of mine who used to have several rental properties got rid of them all and bought two "vacation getaway" homes on the lake. He rents them for a week at a time between Memorial Day and Labor Day and the money he pulls in covers the two vacation homes and his own house payment. He loves it and says he can't ever see himself going back to being a traditional landlord.

He works it like this:

He keeps dishes and several sets of bed linens/towels in the house.
When people arrive they take a new set of linens/towels out of the closet and use them for their stay.
When they leave they strip the beds and put the linens and towels in the provided hampers.
After they are gone he or his family show up and remove the soiled linens, wash any dishes, take out trash and spiff up the place.
Then it's ready for the next tenants.
Profit.

He and his family/friends get to use it during the off season and if he really wants to use it during the summer he just doesn't rent it for that week.

Just another option that's out there.

Bronson

Bailenforcer

Outside of Traverse City is probably easier to rent with dogs, Traverse is a Liberal bastion of Uppity San Francisco or New York style personality mixed with the Northern Michigan personalities. But closer to San Francisco in it's personality, not a bad thing, but east towards Kalkaska and or Elk Rapids might be better for the rental situation unless you need to stay really close to Traverse. The traffic is Traverse City in summer is a bit insane when you live and work there, not something a tourist would notice or care about. The college and tourists also drive up rental costs. I prefer the country just outside of the city, it's quieter, more accepting if dogs, and better people all the way around. Frankly when I said towards Kalkaska I didn't mean in Kalkaska, it is like a hick billy mentality there for about 60% of the population.

Traverse is odd, yet not bad yet, if you know or remember Traverse City made the news when the City Manager tried to force Police cars to have the gay rainbow stickers on them and the Courts ruled Police are NOT a Political entity or tool. There was also the controversial protectionist act making gays a protected class supposedly against discrimination. It had the opposite effect as predicted it made gays have special rights over all the others.
Sadly the gay thing has risen to a San Francisco mentality now, the gays are special citizens. Funny thing is, many gays were against all this trash.

So in closing of you like a miniature San Francisco it's okay, if you prefer the Constitutional rights avenue, live outside the city limits.

I worked there from 1995 to 2000 and then transferred further north and like it better near Petoskey, with the far less hard core Liberalism.

CaptBW

I've never had a problem OCing in Traverse City, or northern Michigan.

I have heard that Munson is anti OC, but have no first hand knowledge.

Evil Creamsicle

I've never had a problem OCing in Traverse City, or northern Michigan.

I have heard that Munson is anti OC, but have no first hand knowledge.

For the most part you're good north of the 45th parallel in my experience. Though I have had interactions with both Mackinaw PD and Mackinac Island PD. The former was just 'friendly questions' at the gas station, the latter... well its on Youtube if you're interested.

Raggs

For the most part you're good north of the 45th parallel in my experience. Though I have had interactions with both Mackinaw PD and Mackinac Island PD. The former was just 'friendly questions' at the gas station, the latter... well its on Youtube if you're interested.

I am planning / hoping for a trip to the island next summer, have a link for the video?

NMadole

I got a place!!!! I will be renting a house off holiday hill in East Bay Township.... 1.jpg

From what I can find on the internet it looks like east bay does not have a firearms discharge ordinance... Does anyone know if it is ok to shoot on your own property (safely) in East Bay Township?

Last edited:

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
I got a place!!!! I will be renting a house off holiday hill in East Bay Township.... View attachment 9168

From what I can find on the internet it looks like east bay does not have a firearms discharge ordinance... Does anyone know if it is ok to shoot on your own property (safely) in East Bay Township?

Nice area, you will enjoy the neighborhood.

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
I have only been to the area a couple of times, but I enjoyed it and it is very beautiful spring to fall - and if you don't mind jack frost nipping at your nads, I suppose one could say the same about the Traverse City area in the winter. ;)

Giving up civil rights for security is a certain way to lose both! :eek: