• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

National Night Out in Greater Richmond 8/6/13

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Next TUESDAY, Aug 6th is National Night Out.

Last year it is estimated that 37.5 million people took part. This year is the 30th anniversary of NNO.

The plan is to have a presence at VCU or in Monroe Park and pass out the beloved GSL stickers + talk to people.

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Next TUESDAY, Aug 6th is National Night Out.

Last year it is estimated that 37.5 million people took part. This year is the 30th anniversary of NNO.

My first thought it to have a presence at VCU or in Monroe Park and pass out the beloved GSL stickers + talk to people.

An alternate location might be Pollard Park in the Northside, across from the fire station.
http://www.richmond.com/calendar/community/event_736a47a6-f2df-11e2-81e3-101f742c6b16.html

To those that might be able to attend, which location interests you the most?

I...not the other I:confused:....Peter Nap likes Monroe Park!

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

I...not the other I:confused:....Peter Nap likes Monroe Park!

We agree on that - Monroe Park it is. Think maybe starting about 4 or 4:30

BTW - trying to get an appointment to sit down and talk with Chief John Venuti re MCV sidewalks and streets. Yep it happened again.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
We agree on that - Monroe Park it is. Think maybe starting about 4 or 4:30

BTW - trying to get an appointment to sit down and talk with Chief John Venuti re MCV sidewalks and streets. Yep it happened again.

Time for me to set up the ultimate weapon...the camera!

Vitaeus

Bunch of us in Washington have a table at this out Kitsap County way, pass out our version of Open Carry Pamphlets and chat with all the emergency service and such that have tables, as well. Sad to miss it this year.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Very low key evening 4:00 to about 7:00. Don't think I've ever seen the area so deserted, even the squirrels (4 legged variety) seemed to be elsewhere. Passed out a small parcel of GSL stickers and had some good conversation, particularly with some contractors working on the Mosque/Landmark Theater.

Heard comments like "Thank you for what you do, Yes they do save lives, now that's the way to stop crime!"

Only saw one LEO - a RPD officer first drove through the park, then later by us w/o even slowing down. That's the way it should be.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
It was quiet but the vast majority took the stickers and thanked Grapeshot for his work.

The fact that there were not nonstop drive by cops is a tribute to the work done by VCDL, Grapeshot and everyone involved with readjusting how VCU and the City behave.