• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

A new forum section only for members to post?

davidmcbeth

Banned
I would like to see a section of the forum only available to be seen or posted to by members.

Anyone else see value in this?

solus

IMHO...do not see any ROI for such a section !!

public accessibility kinda keeps member's rhetoric bravado in check...

finally, are we not trying to hold those that serve their citizens, e.g., nice LEs, government officials, ad nauseam, public per se., to preclude back door antics?

ipse

stealthyeliminator

I don't know what the point would be in having a section that requires registration and login to view. The bar for registration is low, so what would really be accomplished? Did you have any particular reason in mind? Probably more importantly from an administrative standpoint, in what way would this new section further the purpose and goal of OCDO?

HPmatt

I think there s/b a section for licensed CHLs to post - those that are upright, solid citizens, who can afford the license fee, a detailed background check, and fingerprints on file - those that meet the high bar of responsible gun ownership and have been approved by politicians and judges of a State to be 'bona fide'.

I haven't encountered issues w non-registered posters gumming things up on OCDO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

solus

I think there s/b a section for licensed CHLs to post - those that are upright, solid citizens, who can afford the license fee, a detailed background check, and fingerprints on file - those that meet the high bar of responsible gun ownership and have been approved by politicians and judges of a State to be 'bona fide'.

I haven't encountered issues w non-registered posters gumming things up on OCDO.

touche...forgot the sane and sober requirement as mandated by GRNC!!

ipse

Shovelhead

I think there s/b a section for licensed CHLs to post - those that are upright, solid citizens, who can afford the license fee, a detailed background check, and fingerprints on file -..........
Sounds like the same requirements to hold a Government issued Clearance.

Fallschirjmäger

So.... you want a private section to keep out the riff-raff like PETA, the NSA, FBI, MAG, MMM, and whatnot?

The same riff-raff than can see everything just by joining the site?
Exactly how hard and exclusive to you think joining OpenCarry.com is?
You know there's about 15,000 members here that have never posted even a single word, any one of which could be just a reader bot for one of the people/organizations you want to keep out?

Last edited:

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
I would like to see a section of the forum only available to be seen or posted to by members.

Anyone else see value in this?

no.

Police One used to allow the public to see the comments section. Too many people saw their true colors and now comments can only be seen by "sworn members". Are you afraid someone will see what you actually write on this forum? Are you ashamed to not be seen "in the light"? Don't like freedom of speech? This idea, on this forum, is beyond dumm. But that's just me.

sudden valley gunner

no.

Police One used to allow the public to see the comments section. Too many people saw their true colors and now comments can only be seen by "sworn members". Are you afraid someone will see what you actually write on this forum? Are you ashamed to not be seen "in the light"? Don't like freedom of speech? This idea, on this forum, is beyond dumm. But that's just me.

+1

utbagpiper

Banned
I see no value in a "members only" ability to read posts. Especially so long as anyone can register so readily. Short of gross violations of the rules it isn't like anyone gets refused registration or gets their registration revoked.

Now, if anyone had interest in requiring a real name and an actual City/State of residence in order to register and post there might be some value in that. Perceived anonymity too often brings out the worst in some posters, though, admittedly, it can also be the difference between some feeling like they can post at all vs being concerned about employment or other implications if their names were too readily attached to their postings. But for most of us, there is no real need for anonymity. That would shine real sunlight on a lot of posts. Probably more sunlight than most care for. :)

Charles

HPmatt

You have nothing to hide....After all, you are married to Morgan Fairchild, and have seen her naked, more than once.

I think she's a Texas girl. Haven't seen her much since Knott's Landing...

From Morgan Fairchild.com:

-Has participated in bus tours for voter registration and clean water initiative in Ca. and in Pennsylvania for the Gore 2000 Campaign
-Former Board Member of the Hollywood Women's Political Committee (HWPC)

Wonder if she is Pro-2A?

Last edited: