• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Biggest gun rights stories of 2010

Dave Workman

"..The biggest constitutional civil rights story of 2010, maybe of the decade, was based right here in Bellevue, yet as the on-line Seattle Post-Intelligencer is currently beginning its “Top Stories” reviews, should we expect to see a single word about the Second Amendment Foundation’s landmark gun rights victory before the U.S. Supreme Court? Don’t hold your breath...
"... Like it or not, 2010 was a pretty good year in Washington State for gun rights. But SAF’s big win before the Supreme Court that extended Second Amendment protections to state and local governments will be felt for a very long time..."

http://www.examiner.com/gun-rights-...of-2010-based-bellevue-ignored-by-local-press

Or try this:

http://tinyurl.com/2aerjof

oldkim

Wow - nicely put!

It's amazing that all these events happened this year! So many - nice breakdown of each one.

Good article - thanks for putting it together!

Freedom First

Busy year

Thanks Dave for keeping us informed of these things. With four kids and full time work I am too busy to spend too much time hunting this info up. Have a great OC/CC New Year!

Squeak

Good article, Dave. Jim Beal a 'grandfatherly figure' is kinda hard to take. HOWEVER, I do agree that Jim is a good spoksman for 'the cause'. This last year was an example of what a person can do if they set their mind to it. Yes, there are others, but you'll have to agree that Jim has the nack as a spokesman.

FMCDH

Good article, Dave. Jim Beal a 'grandfatherly figure' is kinda hard to take. HOWEVER, I do agree that Jim is a good spoksman for 'the cause'. This last year was an example of what a person can do if they set their mind to it. Yes, there are others, but you'll have to agree that Jim has the nack as a spokesman.

And the hair! ;)

DEROS72

And it's all do to my DEROs survival kit.....All one needs when the SHTF.And I guess I'm grandfatherly :0) . Thanks Dave for the kind words. We all as a team made a difference .When you sum it like that it puts in to perspective all that has been accomplised.So we'll need to be ready for their 2011 onslaught because as we all know they will repackage all their lame arguments and made up stats and try again..I'm ready.

Last edited:

FMCDH

And it's all do to my DEROs survival kit.....All one needs when the SHTF.And I guess I'm grandfatherly :0) . Thanks Dave for the kind words.

You know his hair is healthy when its breaking tines in the combs. :D

Where is the blow-dryer and its holster? Is that another kit? ;)

Last edited:

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
And it's all do to my DEROs survival kit.....All one needs when the SHTF.And I guess I'm grandfatherly :0) . Thanks Dave for the kind words. We all as a team made a difference .When you sum it like that it puts in to perspective all that has been accomplised.So we'll need to be ready for their 2011 onslaught because as we all know they will repackage all their lame arguments and made up stats and try again..I'm ready.

Yes they will! They are so ridiculous at throwing out the same lame arguments!

As does the eye shadow!

Only Squeak would know this! :rolleyes:

olypendrew

From the article:

BELLINGHAM COPS PAY: An open carry activist in Bellingham scored a coup late in the year when that city’s police paid him $1,500 and agreed to train their officers on the legality of open carry following an incident about two years ago.

Primarily thanks to the efforts of activist Gray Peterson – who also happens to be one of the plaintiffs in the Seattle parks gun ban case – Evergreen State police agencies are pretty much on board with open carry, and it is the subject of many department-issued training bulletins. Peterson has, for years, done his homework on the issue, and his all-volunteer labors have paid off, with some disappointing exceptions in Vancouver and Spanaway (discussed here), but Peterson is not about to throw in any towels.

END

While I think it's great that this matter made the top-five list, I am confused why the credit seems to be given to Gray Peterson. Gray is a tremendous resource, but he was not the individual who threatened to drag Bellingham into federal court over Rob Stratton's courageous stance. That was attorney J. Andrew Lauer aka olypendrew.

I'm not in this for the money, or the fame, but rather because I am a true believer in the cause. Having said that, if credit is going to be given for the victory in Bellingham, it should be given to Rob Stratton, first, and to me, second. The fact that neither of us were mentioned, but Gray was, seems like a deliberate snub.

I am aware that the people directly involved can be determined by following the link, but many more people will read the article and be left with the impression that Gray deserves all the credit than will follow the link and uncover the actual facts.

FMCDH

I am aware that the people directly involved can be determined by following the link, but many more people will read the article and be left with the impression that Gray deserves all the credit than will follow the link and uncover the actual facts.

While I can see and agree with your point, I think Dave may have made the unconscious error of being a writer who is too familiar with his own audience to the extent of assuming that most people who would read that article, also already knew the key players in that particular case.

I believe he may have only mentioned Gray's influence as a continuation of the many cases and other things Gray has been involved in to further OC.

I for one knew exactly who was primarily responsible for the success of Rob's challenge, Rob! :)

amlevin

While I can see and agree with your point, I think Dave may have made the unconscious error of being a writer who is too familiar with his own audience to the extent of assuming that most people who would read that article, also already knew the key players in that particular case.

I believe he may have only mentioned Gray's influence as a continuation of the many cases and other things Gray has been involved in to further OC.

I for one knew exactly who was primarily responsible for the success of Rob's challenge, Rob! :)
As do I. I would like to think that it was merely an oversight rather than a purposeful snub. Perhaps Dave can chime in here and clarify.

Dave Workman

Wasn't an intended snub at all.

And besides...I could have given all the credit to Beal's hair.

Last edited: