• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Mt. Airy police chief shot

papa bear

some may remember this is the police chief that i have met with , that was against citizens carrying firearms. this is just the kind of thing that makes it hard for us to win support
http://www.mtairynews.com/view/full...ice-officials-wounded?instance=home_news_lead
http://www.mtairynews.com/view/full_story/14065738/article-Breaking-news?

i sent an email expressing my best wishes for his recovery. i wanted to point out this had nothing to do with honest carriers and that the woman was probably mentally unstable, and would not been able to have a firearm since that would be against the law. but, i felt this was not the time

BTW, this is only about .10 of a mile from the park where my grand kids like to go. What if she had thought of taking a few more out with her, to get her suicide by cop

Last edited:

mekender

Sine it was a shotgun, it does not matter if she had a permit or not or if she carried a pistol or not in my eyes.

jag06

I saw this last night while up at camp. Also heard that a prisoner escaped jail yesterday, and don't forget the bad storms. Surry county had a rough day yesterday.

Resto Guy

Quoted from link:
"Atkinson added that once an “officer-down” alert was broadcast among emergency communications channels, members of units from around the area responded, including the Dobson Police Department and N.C. Highway Patrol. The Surry County EMS also was on the scene and an AirCare helicopter ambulance was on standby. About 40 representatives of various agencies were staged at the scene, where the woman’s body was removed just before 4 p.m."

And you can believe that everyone of them drove like a bat-out-of-Hell to get there. If only they would respond to a "average John Q. Public down" alert with similar concern and enthusiasm.

I live in the county, about 7 miles from the city line and I've seen officers responding to a local "officer-down" call. It was for a female HP officer badly beaten by a driver. Bystanders beat and restrained him within a couple of minutes. For more than 10 minutes, I counted 17 police cars from the county, HP and city blast past my house at speeds probably in the 110 to 130 range.

papa bear

hey jago6 has the OA cerimony started? i will bring my grand children up for the wed nite rains :lol:

one thing i thought of was this is almost the same spot that the county got into a shoot out with a mental disturbed man way before the school was built.

two deputy saw this man, who they knew was not to have a firearm (everyone knew he was crazy). walking along hamburg street carrying a rifle. they approached him from behind and called out to him, he wouldn't stop and so one reached and took hold of his shoulder. he then spun and pulled a 9 and started firing. the officers returned fire. i don't know the the exact count but all parties emptied there guns ( all this at arms reach) the man received a wound in the neck, recovered and later hung himself in the hospital

jag06

hey jago6 has the OA cerimony started? i will bring my grand children up for the wed nite rains :lol:

one thing i thought of was this is almost the same spot that the county got into a shoot out with a mental disturbed man way before the school was built.

two deputy saw this man, who they knew was not to have a firearm (everyone knew he was crazy). walking along hamburg street carrying a rifle. they approached him from behind and called out to him, he wouldn't stop and so one reached and took hold of his shoulder. he then spun and pulled a 9 and started firing. the officers returned fire. i don't know the the exact count but all parties emptied there guns ( all this at arms reach) the man received a wound in the neck, recovered and later hung himself in the hospital

It has not started yet, cub week starts tomorrow then the scouts come up next Sunday. OA ceremony starts on the 22nd. Stop by the health lodge when you come up, thats where I will be before the campfire starts.

EricDailey X-NRA

Uhm What?

Quoted from link:
"Atkinson added that once an “officer-down” alert was broadcast among emergency communications channels, members of units from around the area responded, including the Dobson Police Department and N.C. Highway Patrol. The Surry County EMS also was on the scene and an AirCare helicopter ambulance was on standby. About 40 representatives of various agencies were staged at the scene, where the woman’s body was removed just before 4 p.m."

And you can believe that everyone of them drove like a bat-out-of-Hell to get there. If only they would respond to a "average John Q. Public down" alert with similar concern and enthusiasm.

I live in the county, about 7 miles from the city line and I've seen officers responding to a local "officer-down" call. It was for a female HP officer badly beaten by a driver. Bystanders beat and restrained him within a couple of minutes. For more than 10 minutes, I counted 17 police cars from the county, HP and city blast past my house at speeds probably in the 110 to 130 range.

I am just wondering if you really thought that your comment is somehow related to the OP (original post). I am struggling to see how your speculation or your example fit in this thread. Is there any point to your post that I'm missing? The reason I ask is because, we who work to advocate for OC it is important to be aware of relations with the Law Enforcement in our communities. This thread is about the leader of a PD that one of the OCDO NC members has engaged and has reported about here . There was a point to the OP, there still is. If the thread follows the point it may helpful. This OP is not about Police misbehavior or citizen gripes. So I don't get your comment in this thread.

Last edited:

Dreamer

This story is about long guns and has NO reason to be discussed here...

The fact that LE was dispatched to deal with a situation that was fundamentally MEDICAL (mental illness) is a disgusting trend in our society. This woman should be in a psych ward, being treated, and being cared for by her family and trained medical professionals.

Sending a bunch of cops to deal with a suicidal person is like sending a SEAL team into a cranky grade-school kid's room to "convince" them to go to school on test day...

Sorry about the LEOs, but we should also think about this poor, tormented woman.

I guess this is part of the new "ObamaCare". Who needs "death panels"? We'll just let the crazy people get so out-of-control that they pick up a gun and then someone can call the cops--who will treat the situation like any other situation where they encounter a MWAG. Using LEAs to carry out a program of Eugenics--what a brilliant idea... :eek:

papa bear

i guess the OP was a bit too subtle for some. let me see if i can hit on the points

1. this is Mayberry,

2. this is the same police chief that is against citizens being armed. and said citizens "have too many rights as it is".

3. genuine concern for the LEOs

4. this incident happened within short walking distance of the park where said police cheif said "there was no reason for citizens to need a gun"

5. if a crazy person with a gun will shoot a cop here, than they probably will shoot anybody

and i hope y'all know if you don't comment on the post it will go away :D

Last edited:

paramedic70002

This story is about long guns and has NO reason to be discussed here...

The fact that LE was dispatched to deal with a situation that was fundamentally MEDICAL (mental illness) is a disgusting trend in our society. This woman should be in a psych ward, being treated, and being cared for by her family and trained medical professionals.

Sending a bunch of cops to deal with a suicidal person is like sending a SEAL team into a cranky grade-school kid's room to "convince" them to go to school on test day...

Sorry about the LEOs, but we should also think about this poor, tormented woman.

I guess this is part of the new "ObamaCare". Who needs "death panels"? We'll just let the crazy people get so out-of-control that they pick up a gun and then someone can call the cops--who will treat the situation like any other situation where they encounter a MWAG. Using LEAs to carry out a program of Eugenics--what a brilliant idea... :eek:

Yes it is a mental/medical issue but EMS is not trained or equipped to deal with violent subjects. It is the PD's job to secure psych hold warrants if needed. Many mental patients either get treatment in jail or not at all. Sucks, but that's the way it is.

Dreamer

Yes it is a mental/medical issue but EMS is not trained or equipped to deal with violent subjects. It is the PD's job to secure psych hold warrants if needed. Many mental patients either get treatment in jail or not at all. Sucks, but that's the way it is.

The point is, suicide is RARELY a sudden decision. It usually has months of build-up symptoms, and often the person has a previous history of other mental issues.

It all comes back to family engagement and concern, and community involvement...

This has the same root as all the stories we see of young urban youths--lack of family involvement, abandonment by friends and community, and a culture of denial...

If someone had cared about this woman, it most likely would have never gotten this far...

papa bear

I've always felt suicide was Darwinism in action.

My point was that here is an anti citizen police chief that got shot. odds are he will be even more difficult to convince

another point is the close proximity to a "gun free zone". where an honest citizen would not have been able to defend themselves

all of these GFZ shooting were done by suicides.