• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC Automatic knives

*1911_man*

Not sure if this has been discussed before but i couldnt find anything on it. I was wondering about carrying automatic knives, either OTF or regular switchblade knives. I heard you could carry either in arizona, but they had to be exposed as in a sheath or carrying case on your belt? I would like to be able to carry my microtec OTF as a backup to my firearm, but i can not find if it is ok or not.

JesseL

If you're over 21 I don't think there's any question that it's 100% legal to carry whatever knife you want (including switchblades) open or concealed.

If you're under 21, whether you can conceal it or not hinges on whether or not the knife qualifies as a "pocket knife". In my own opinion, any non-fixed blade that you can carry in a pocket is demonstrably a pocket knife.

Super Saiyan

Not sure if this has been discussed before but i couldnt find anything on it. I was wondering about carrying automatic knives, either OTF or regular switchblade knives. I heard you could carry either in arizona, but they had to be exposed as in a sheath or carrying case on your belt? I would like to be able to carry my microtec OTF as a backup to my firearm, but i can not find if it is ok or not.

I am not aware of any law that would prohibit this. Also, back in July 2010, a new law went into effect which pre-empts any local ordinances concerning the regulation of knives. Use to have all sorts of different regulations from one city to the next, but no longer.

*1911_man*

How about under 21? As far as i can tell it states you may NOT conceal a dangerous weapon, which in my mind applies in the same way as a firearm since an OTF knife would be carried for nothing more than to be used in self defense. Also, what about neck knives? they are not pocket knives obviously, so do they fall under the same laws as firearms also? Prefer to have it concealed so it wont snag on stuff and dangle around.

On an unrelated note, anyone have any recommendations for a good, reliable gun for a lady to carry? My girlfriend decided to try open carrying and i want to get her something she would feel comfortable with shooting.

Super Saiyan

How about under 21? As far as i can tell it states you may NOT conceal a dangerous weapon, which in my mind applies in the same way as a firearm since an OTF knife would be carried for nothing more than to be used in self defense. Also, what about neck knives? they are not pocket knives obviously, so do they fall under the same laws as firearms also? Prefer to have it concealed so it wont snag on stuff and dangle around.
I agree with you. Unfortunately, ARS does not provide a definition for "pocket knife." With that in mind, if you were stopped and it was discovered, I imagine it would depend on the cop's opinion, so it may be better to err on the side of caution and not conceal it.
On an unrelated note, anyone have any recommendations for a good, reliable gun for a lady to carry? My girlfriend decided to try open carrying and i want to get her something she would feel comfortable with shooting.
Plenty to chose from. I'd recommend that you take her to a range and rent a few different brands/calibers, try 'em out, and let her decide.

Last edited:

*1911_man*

I agree with you. Unfortunately, ARS does not provide a definition for "pocket knife." With that in mind, if you were stopped and it was discovered, I imagine it would depend on the cop's opinion, so it may be better to err on the side of caution and not conceal it.

Plenty to chose from. I'd recommend that you take her to a range and rent a few different brands/calibers, try 'em out, and let her decide.

How about over 21? Again ARS isnt too specific on the matter, but id guess that it would be treated like a firearm, as in it doesnt even matter once you are 21.

As for the gun, i think ill take her to SGC and let her try a few guns, she has shot my .45's, and they rock her around pretty hard, so naturally she isnt very comfortable with them.

I agree. Try *LOTS* of different weapons. You never know what a woman will like shooting.

Case in point: my brother and I took his teenage daughter out shooting so that she could test a large number of different handguns (she likes to shoot -- and wanted to have a weapon of her own). Since she's, shall we say, rather on the petite side, we figured she'd want something, oh, "petite".

We took her mom's Bersa 380, my wife's S&W 642, my S&W 640, my Ruger .357 GP100 and .357 Blackhawk, my Taurus .22, her dad's Ruger 9mm, and my full-size, all-steel GI 1911.

Guess which weapon brought the biggest smile to her face? And was the one she shot best with?

The 1911. Which is what she is going to get when she saves up enough money to buy one.

I was amazed. It looks rather huge when she holds it -- but she absolutely loved that weapon!

Just goes to show that ya never know...

*1911_man*

I agree. Try *LOTS* of different weapons. You never know what a woman will like shooting.

Case in point: my brother and I took his teenage daughter out shooting so that she could test a large number of different handguns (she likes to shoot -- and wanted to have a weapon of her own). Since she's, shall we say, rather on the petite side, we figured she'd want something, oh, "petite".

We took her mom's Bersa 380, my wife's S&W 642, my S&W 640, my Ruger .357 GP100 and .357 Blackhawk, my Taurus .22, her dad's Ruger 9mm, and my full-size, all-steel GI 1911.

Guess which weapon brought the biggest smile to her face? And was the one she shot best with?

The 1911. Which is what she is going to get when she saves up enough money to buy one.

I was amazed. It looks rather huge when she holds it -- but she absolutely loved that weapon!

Just goes to show that ya never know...

I hope it goes that way, nothing like seeing a nice looking girl holding a BIG gun, and better yet being proficient with said gun. But we will see, all i hope is that she doesnt want a pink 1911

Super Saiyan

id guess that it would be treated like a firearm, as in it doesnt even matter once you are 21.
Exactly. Once you are 21, you may legally carry a concealed "deadly weapon," as long as it is indeed a legal "deadly weapon." I am unaware of any types of knives being outlawed by this state, so you should be good to go.

Super Saiyan

I hope it goes that way, nothing like seeing a nice looking girl holding a BIG gun, and better yet being proficient with said gun. But we will see, all i hope is that she doesnt want a pink 1911
Careful what you wish for...
My wife and I were at SGC last month and she really liked a particular 1911...which was just shy of $3K. Yeah...:banghead:

*1911_man*

Makes sense. Talked to the dealer that sells microtec OTF and other nice knives and he said that you could legally carry it WITH the pocket clip exposed and it would be legal IF the Opening function of the knife didnt penetrate a layer of cardboard, as to prevent it from being a destructive device, similar to the Spetsnaz ballistic knife,if you are under 21. Over 21 "should be" no problem. . Ive never heard this before because im unfamiliar with knife laws. Just wish the ARS was more clear on everything so you dont have to "interpret" everything on them.

Super Saiyan

Makes sense. Talked to the dealer that sells microtec OTF and other nice knives and he said that you could legally carry it WITH the pocket clip exposed and it would be legal IF the Opening function of the knife didnt penetrate a layer of cardboard, as to prevent it from being a destructive device, similar to the Spetsnaz ballistic knife,if you are under 21. Over 21 "should be" no problem. . Ive never heard this before because im unfamiliar with knife laws. Just wish the ARS was more clear on everything so you dont have to "interpret" everything on them.
I hear ya. :banghead: 21 and older will not be a problem, because no where in ARS is it prohibited from being carried, except as outlined in 13-3102 as a presumably labeled "deadly weapon."

Badger Johnson

I got a white wolf Auto many, many years ago, and though I haven't messed with a lot of autos, they are pretty slow to open compared to a kinetic opening.

I can do a 'pop' opening about 2x-3x as fast as a thumb stud auto. I'm not sure why there's a 'lag' with autos. You also have to index your thumb on the button.

Have you seen the belt-buckle knife on youtube? It's a central line carry and is about 2x as fast getting 'on-line' as a pocket carry which is lateral line.

*1911_man*

I got a white wolf Auto many, many years ago, and though I haven't messed with a lot of autos, they are pretty slow to open compared to a kinetic opening.

I can do a 'pop' opening about 2x-3x as fast as a thumb stud auto. I'm not sure why there's a 'lag' with autos. You also have to index your thumb on the button.

Have you seen the belt-buckle knife on youtube? It's a central line carry and is about 2x as fast getting 'on-line' as a pocket carry which is lateral line.

Ive checked out many other options and i cant really find anything faster than the one ive got. It is the microtec Halo, its kinda big but it is very fast. There is a very slight "lag" with all autos, which i believe is due to inertia if im not mistaken. But it is hardly noticeable with quality blades. Im no knife expert though by any means.

azcdlfred

Adding to the advice from others.....

The worst gun for a lady is the one her male friend/husband (whatever) gives her. She needs to find out for herself. Drop all negative sexist stereotypes. As a pistol instructor I am convinced that women are naturally better shooters than men. Women are also easier to teach since all men think they know everything about gun handling because they watched it on TV.

Another mistake is getting the "little lady" a revolver because it's easier to operate. So now she is stuck with a 15# long and stacking trigger pull that requires more hand strength than she probably has.

The reason many women appear to have trouble racking the slide on a semi-auto is becasue their firearm husband or boyfriend never showed her how to do it properly.

Let her handle lots of guns until she finds the one that fits her hand best and that she can shoot accurately. The best gun is the one she will carry with her all the time. If it becomes a "safe queen," it wasn't a good choice.

And the standard mantra - the largest caliber she is comfortable firing.

My two cents.
Fred

*1911_man*

Adding to the advice from others.....

The worst gun for a lady is the one her male friend/husband (whatever) gives her. She needs to find out for herself. Drop all negative sexist stereotypes. As a pistol instructor I am convinced that women are naturally better shooters than men. Women are also easier to teach since all men think they know everything about gun handling because they watched it on TV.

Another mistake is getting the "little lady" a revolver because it's easier to operate. So now she is stuck with a 15# long and stacking trigger pull that requires more hand strength than she probably has.

The reason many women appear to have trouble racking the slide on a semi-auto is becasue their firearm husband or boyfriend never showed her how to do it properly.

Let her handle lots of guns until she finds the one that fits her hand best and that she can shoot accurately. The best gun is the one she will carry with her all the time. If it becomes a "safe queen," it wasn't a good choice.

And the standard mantra - the largest caliber she is comfortable firing.

My two cents.
Fred

Exactly my thoughts. She doesnt like revolvers so that isnt an issue, and she has never had a problem racking the slide on any of my guns. Id like to have her try as many as possible and pick the best option for her. She does well with my xd45 tactical and my 1911. No joke about women being great shooters, first time she fired a handgun was my walther ppks .380 and she could easily put 8 rounds into a baseball sized group, which is more than adequate for self defense. Would like to have her take an instructional self defense class though, which i would definitely be joining her in.